Is it wise to budget $10,000. for used

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
no connections what so ever , so what are you suggesting I do other than arriving by boat. I have limited resources {$} just want to do things right to watch the expenses.
Leave your things in storage, come live here for 6 months and make sure you like it and can manage, then go back home and arrange to ship your things down.

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
thank-you! hope to talk to you again some time, have a good night I sure hope I like it and can manage. bye

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
i KNOW i HAVE TO COME DOWN THERE i GUESS I'll NEED TO RENT A VILLA THEN OR ARE ALL RENTALS EVEN HOUSES FURNISHED? i KNOW I'm BEING DIFFICULT B UT i SO APPRECHIATE ALL YOU IMPUT. THANK-YOU IN ADVANCE FOR HELPING ME SET UP A ROUGH ESTIMATE, I LOVE TOYOTA'S AND HONDA'S i WAS HOPING FOR ABOUT $600 OR $700 IN RENT.?

Based on my experience, I think you will be able to find a quite nice and furnished 2/1 on the coastal regions (not the beach) for USD 600 to 700 a month. There are cheaper and still good ones and some more expensive ones too of which not all are better.

As for vehicles, Rocky is right... 10K will get you a used but acceptably safe and durable ride. Check supercarros dot com to get an idea of the models, years and type that sum will buy and only then shop. I think it may get you into a vehicle starting around year 2000 depending on style and type (jeep, small car or truck) with an XY-amount of miles, so, as Rocky stated you want to go with a brand which you can trust it can handle lots'a miles and bad roads to go and for which parts are readily available in the country... Toyotas, Hondas and Mitsubishis come to mind.

Be very careful should you chose to change your mind and start looking at vehicles around 2005 (or immediately below). I just got back from a car shopping marathon and found some vehicles completely rusted thru underneath while still looking "muy nuevo" at a first glance. So be prepared to bring your dirty clothes along and practice some push-ups. Remember that Katrina not only hit Louisiana but also the Texan coast (where most I've seen recently came from) and that some vehicles were actually not registered in those disaster zoned... but visiting. Some dealers will display cars with the US tags "still" on... never from LA (state) of course... but many of these tags are not the original ones from that vehicle. So, check and double check and do your push-ups. CarFax also is an often suggested step... for US registered vehicles.

Finally, please turn you're caps off... it's considered shouting and bad etiquette on the net.

Hope some of this will be of help to you... J-D.

Last edited:

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
the caps are off please excuse me. thanks for all the great tips. by the way is it a real drag to fly into santo domingo,and then head over to souca area?
P.S. I would love to throw a big party when I get there, for all the help I,m getting. thank you again.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
the caps are off please excuse me. thanks for all the great tips. by the way is it a real drag to fly into santo domingo,and then head over to souca area?
P.S. I would love to throw a big party when I get there, for all the help I,m getting. thank you again.
You can come by Caribe Tours bus for less than 10 bucks in approx. 5 hours.

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
Is the scenery nice? does it run thru rural areas with local flavor? I prefer to stay away from any adrenalin passageways while I'm still a novice. $10 for a five hour drive, does Caribe Tours even break even. how many miles between the two cities? what is the price of gasoline in DR gallons? aren't i a pain.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Is the scenery nice? does it run thru rural areas with local flavor? I prefer to stay away from any adrenalin passageways while I'm still a novice. $10 for a five hour drive, does Caribe Tours even break even. how many miles between the two cities? what is the price of gasoline in DR gallons? aren't i a pain.
Scenery's nice, but no rural towns.
I have no idea about the profitability of Caribe Tours.
210 kms by the shortest route and approx 235 kms with the route they take.
Gasoline floats near $4 US per US gallon.