Is pop the closest airport to haiti??

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Maybe it's a Qatar military plane?

If you Google: Qatar C-17
The first ? , "Image Results... " has photos of C-17 with some of them Qatar and some not. I like the photo of one landing on an Aircraft Carrier.

The first... and last time I flew in a C-17 Globemaster was in 1965. They were called "old shakeys" (?). The flight from Charleston N.C. to Rio confirmed the name... at a whole 200 mph avg. speed. It was a very long flight.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Barahona's Maria Montez International Airport (BRX). This is an underutilized airport with an enormous landing field and large enough to perfectly suit the role as alternate airport for Haiti. It was built for the mass tourism development that never happened for Barahona. The fact the airport is being refitted is definitely good news for Barahona.

The airport has a 9843 x 148 feet / 3000 x 45 meters runway.
The airport is located at: Lat/Long: 18.251464 deg N / 71.120400 deg W

It looks like Dolores and a couple of others nailed this and appears to be a great solution.
From DR1 News page, Jan. 27:

Barahona Airport will operate for Haiti
According to Haitian ambassador in the DR Fritz Cineas, Barahona's Maria Montez International Airport (BRX) will begin to accept flights for passengers en route to Port-au-Prince. Despite having no traffic until now, the Barahona airport has the fourth largest runway in the country, after Punta Cana, Las Americas and Puerto Plata -- 9843 x 148 feet / 3000 x 45 meters. The airport is located at: Lat/Long: 18.251464 deg N / 71.120400 deg W.

The ambassador thanked the Dominican authorities for all the help they have provided and mentioned the proposed construction of the 12-km road to Fonds Parisien and the solidarity of the Dominican people. The reconstruction of the road will facilitate bi-lateral trade and ground transport from Jimani to Fonds Parisien in Haiti, a major center for assisting refugees of the earthquake.

He said that passengers going to Haiti will be able to land in Barahona and be transferred to the Haitian capital by bus through Jimani. He said: "Barahona will become the airport for Port-au-Prince."

Cineas took part in the Multimedia del Caribe Luncheon Meeting hosted by the El Caribe newspaper, and there he reviewed all efforts being made to help his country. He also said that the country is slowly returning to some degree of normalcy, with over 400,000 people leaving the capital for other towns.
_______
Does anyone know how long it will take to have BRX up and running? Any information on what airlines and from where? Is the boarder going to be better organized? What about heavy aid flights?

Ringo

May 5, 2007
c 17 c 74

You sure you aren't talking about the C 74 or c 124 Globemaster?

If you Google: Qatar C-17
The first ? , "Image Results... " has photos of C-17 with some of them Qatar and some not. I like the photo of one landing on an Aircraft Carrier.

The first... and last time I flew in a C-17 Globemaster was in 1965. They were called "old shakeys" (?). The flight from Charleston N.C. to Rio confirmed the name... at a whole 200 mph avg. speed. It was a very long flight.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
I wonder how all these "rescue flights" are affecting the tourists going to the DR..