Is the new ordinance serving its supposed purpose?

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
Glad to hear it. Our one man crime wave turned out to be a PN officer. His specialty was home break-ins of Dominicans and expats while abroad.
I never saw PN's doing anything and the Politur whom I liked seemed totally overwhelmed although they did their fair share of hanging around too.
I'm not a night owl so I missed most of the action.
I'll bet it is quieter at night - that is a real blessing.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I must say I am getting so used to these quiet nights, that nowadays, on saturdays at night, when all the tigueres are out until 2:00am, I am getting disturbed by the noise (!!!), and I find myself wishing that the curfew would be at 12:00 everyday :)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Yeah Saturday night my neighbors were partying till 1:30AM with loud thumping raggaeton, and I couldn't sleep so I was about to walk out in the street, flag down a patrol and have them busted, but miracle of miracles the police got them to quiet down without me even having to say anything.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
mrMike, is that an overall, general thump up to the ordinances?

Not sure if "thump up" is a typo or a pun, but I can't really answer yes or no on that. Mainly I am dissapointed.

I am dissapointed first of all that the Domincian people would tolerate being told when to drink and when to party and when to be on the street so suddenly from one day to the next.

Second I am dissapointed that such a measure works so well, apparently proving it was necessary.

Finally I am dissapointed in advance that so many problems will arise when the measure is inevitably either oficially or unoficially abandoned and past-midnight revelling begins to sneak back into society the way underage beggars have been slowly re-emerging at Santiago stoplights.

I can only guess the powers that be are presented with some hard choices and have had to make do with what's available. Kind of like sending your kid to bed without supper because he won't stop being disruptive at the table, the measures are effective in the short term but no one would conceive of them as a permanent solution. (I hope)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
;)

Maybe they closed the bars early so the corrupt police and military wouldn't have a place to hang out while "on duty".

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Everyone I have talked to regarding this issue has said that the new measures works, has reduced crime, and they hope it continues.

I think they are right.

-NALs

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
how is it affecting the clubs that open at 11 p.m ? are they opening early ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The fact that they found one (Bottle) that was staying open after hours and closed it. jailing all 92 patrons, all the employees and the boss/owner, might be saying something. Two cops were dismissed fromthe force and sent to jail also...they served as watchdogs...

Also, a huge percentage of people are behind this. Some places are starting earlier, and have even increased sales. Others, like Passions in Santiago are losing millions.

there will be some modifications, i would imagine, but on the whole, it is probablybetter this way.

HB

bobandjudy

Jan 20, 2006
I vote YES

Hi everyone, I just got back from La Yiguita del Pastor, a barrio just across the river from Santiago. I asked a friend who is a community leader about the impact of the new ordinances, especially the midnight curfew on alcolhol sales. He replied, "No hay personas borrachas en la calle. Estaban peleando todos los dias y tirando tiros. Habia muchos heridos de balas. Ha cambiado ahora, no tenemos eso. La calle esta vacia y menos ninos por la calle."

In English, "There are no drunks in the streets. They were fighting everyday and shooting shots. There were many wounded from these shots. That has changed, we don't have that. The street is empty and fewer kids (are) in the streets."

In my neck of the woods, a bar near our place plays borderline loud music one night a week. Before the curfew, their karioke went over the line and woke me up a few times at 1:30 am.

The music now stops at midnight.

Let's keep the curfew. It's serving its purpose and we are better off for it. Bob

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
After reading that link to the copy of the new ordinance I had to laugh. Thinking about the number of papers that any president of any country signs in one day, due to their position, has to be beyond imagination. Having said that then the feasibility of the president reading word for word everything that he signs is also unimaginable. So ????.. from a post that I placed in another thread, ?For those of you that don't like LF all I can say is you don't need to bad mouth him because it will be his own people that will bring him down and this case is a classic example of that happening?

Rick

That other thread dealt with the closing of "the other fair".

Last edited: