Is there a gay community?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
RonS said:
Just to piggy back on what JJ has said, I have found the gay community in the capitol to be very, very discrete, and almost nonexistent outside of the capitol. In addition to the obvious religious related homophobia, there is a certain machismo ethos in the Dominican Republic that makes it almost impossible to be 'open' there. A significant number of Dominican men are on the 'down-low'.

Really? I found homosexuality to be tolerated to a degree openly in la capital--perhaps not in all parts of the city, but certainly in places such as Zona Colonial--and im not talking about sankies. Bisexuality is pretty big in the dr, and it is something that is not talked about, but is done. Certainly open displays of affection are not welcome, but i would say that in the capital at least, homosexuality is accepted as much as it is here in the states. Matter of fact theres a lesbian discoteca in Gazcue that i was gonna go to with a lesbian friend of mine, but decided not to because they were charging guys 150 pesos to get in--i was on a budget at the time.

That being said the DR is about as hospitable to homosexuals as the US. Lets not forget--outside of the major cities here in the states, homosexuality is generally not tolerated.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
"That being said the DR is about as hospitable to homosexuals as the US. Lets not forget--outside of the major cities here in the states, homosexuality is generally not tolerated."

True that.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
RonS said:
"That being said the DR is about as hospitable to homosexuals as the US. Lets not forget--outside of the major cities here in the states, homosexuality is generally not tolerated." True that.

That's right!, "homosexuality" is generally tolerated, but not ?gays?. There are two different concepts here. Homosexuality has always existed, as the study of primitive societies can attest, but ?gays? is a modern phenomenon, a militant political movement under the guise of minority rights. It?s images are telltale, from ambushing the English language by hijacking the word ?gay', from its merry, sunny, bright, happy and exuberant connotation to the use of the full visible light spectrum for its flag (rainbow)?.

-

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Miradors' post just drips with homophobic nonsense. A cursory reading of Exxol's post reveals the statement that 'homosexuality is generally not tolerated'! Whether you describe living a life free of prejudice as 'homosexual' or 'gay' is irrelevant, particularly to those who suffer such indignity. The point is that there is no identifiable 'gay' or 'homosexual' community in the DR in the same sense as that community can be identified in the larger urban areas of the United States. That is the answer to the original posters question.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Homophobe? When some of my best friends are homosexual? Maybe ‘gayphobe’, but never homophobe... The sneakiest ruse that the gay movement has devised, is their insistence on associating their cause with those of bona fide minorities, like African Americans or Jews. So they invented their own personal myth of persecution and prejudice, in order to act like the historical victims of true indignities, like slavery, and even the Holocaust... and hope that their accusations of “homophobe” will have the same effect as “anti-Semitic”... It won’t work in the DR.

-

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Exxtol said:
Really? Matter of fact theres a lesbian discoteca in Gazcue that i was gonna go to with a lesbian friend of mine, but decided not to because they were charging guys 150 pesos to get in--i was on a budget at the time.

Where is this please?

I live in Gazcue and am a lesbian.

Larry

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
Mirador said:
That's right!, "homosexuality" is generally tolerated, but not ?gays?. There are two different concepts here. Homosexuality has always existed, as the study of primitive societies can attest, but ?gays? is a modern phenomenon, a militant political movement under the guise of minority rights. It?s images are telltale, from ambushing the English language by hijacking the word ?gay', from its merry, sunny, bright, happy and exuberant connotation to the use of the full visible light spectrum for its flag (rainbow)?.

-
Gay is a Victorian term used to describe woman who were what we would call ?free spirits?. The right is scared s**tless of something called a ?gay agenda? meanwhile the right agenda is to drive all queers back into the closet

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
jrzguy2 said:
The right is scared s**tless of something called a ?gay agenda? meanwhile the right agenda is to drive all queers back into the closet
Please explain why the "right" is scared ****less of what you refer to as "gay adgenda".

In doing so please:
  • explain exactly what "gay adgenda" is, and
  • Why the right is scared ****less over it
"Gays" are people who pursue an alternative lifestyle. They are not a political group, an influential group or (sorry to burst your bubble) an overly important group in the grand scheme of things. If the "right" dosen't jump to embrace gays it is because the "right" either finds them, silly, revolting, or simply not worth addressing (the last is probably most accurate).

So, stop acting like you are "persecuted" and stop looking for attention or this overwhelming flood of acceptance that will never arrive. Just live your life.

Larry

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
In all of my time on DR1, I've never seen a 'gay' thread that did not need to be closed or edited to pieces at some time or another. What do you people say, can we keep this one on a relatively non-threatening level?

The question is, is there a gay community? And can the op live on US$2,000 a month given a certain set of variables.

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
i agree with chris. This discussion should go back to topic. I dont think the gay rights movment in the US is really anything domincan.

(Let's not comment at all, OK -- I appreciate what you are saying though - added by Chris)

But lets get back to the thread please

Last edited by a moderator:

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
I think that's why he placed words in quotes, because certain folks are always babbling about a "gay agenda" that does not exist. More often than not those certain folks tend to be right of center.

Larry said:
explain exactly what "gay adgenda" Larry

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
On lesbians...

This for Larry:

A guy goes to the bar in a nightclub and sits next to two very attractive women. After a while, he invites them to a drink. One of the women responds, "No thanks. We are lesbians." The guy, puzzled, asks, "And what does that mean?" To which the woman responds, "It means we like women."
The guy thinks it over for a moment, then calls out to the bartender: "Bartender! Drinks for all us lesbians!"

I'm a lesbian too!!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Larry said:
Please explain why the "right" is scared ****less of what you refer to as "gay adgenda".

In doing so please:
  • explain exactly what "gay adgenda" is, and
  • Why the right is scared ****less over it
"Gays" are people who pursue an alternative lifestyle. They are not a political group, an influential group or (sorry to burst your bubble) an overly important group in the grand scheme of things. If the "right" dosen't jump to embrace gays it is because the "right" either finds them, silly, revolting, or simply not worth addressing (the last is probably most accurate).

So, stop acting like you are "persecuted" and stop looking for attention or this overwhelming flood of acceptance that will never arrive. Just live your life.

Larry

Larry..it is the right wing that referes to the "gay adgenda". Perhaps having anti-discrimination Employment and Housing laws might sound radical to some. BUt why should i lose my job if i do a great job etc?

Myself..i am ambivelant about the whole "gay marriage" debate going on here and over in europe. I just dont believe basing my relationship on a failed institution (ok..my parents got divorced when i was 18...so marriage doesnt impress me). But i see nothing wrong with people who are in long term committed relationships who want to share health insurance, have hospital visitation rights, and control of their own estate. I dont see why some people see this whole idea as radical...as we pay our taxes just along with everyone else.

Personaly..have gay friends for all walks of life. From Doctors, Investment Banker, Lawyers, Waiter, Graphic Designers, Chemist, Nurse, Sankie, an ex con (busted for gun-running..got 7 years...oh yeah..and he's dominican LOl), Pizza makers, landscapers..i have a couple of trannie friends (not into that at all...but hey..thats their thing)

But tell me...how does one "pursue an alternative lifestyle". A life style is a CHOICE. Oh yes...we go golfing...so sailing...get queer lOl!!! Why would someone CHOSE to pursue a life where people you dont even know will put you down, humiliate you, perhaps kill you etc????

oh, and as far as being an influental group? how come many countries and companies are actualy courting the Lavendar Dollar? Most are Dual income homes without kids with pleanty of expendable cash (i think that is something that scares the right wing and bushies of the world).

You are spot on about not being an influental group tho! and see..that is what puzzles me about the right wings fear of the so-called "gay adgenda". Why do they fear us so much??? THere are pleanty of hetero people who are into S&M and other kinky and promescuity...and there are pleanty of gay (and lesbian) folks.who have very "normal" and committed relationships. (someday i will tell you about when i went to a club..and i got their early...and there was an Hetero S&M party going on.....and they were all dressed up as Kingons from Star Trek!!!

Getting back to the OP...i think you will fine. If you are financialy secure (and you are lucky to have your aunts apt to explore alternatives from)....Just dont expect anything like a Chelsea in NYC..the South End in Boston or SF etc. I expect you probably already have some PMS as well

One question: Are any of the posters in this thread actualy dominican...or ex pats...or people looking in from elswhere?

I am sorry to ramble...and sorry for the bad typos...

if anyone wants to pm me to debate this stuff...feel free to do so...but lets stop wasting DR1 forum space :)

i swear lar...not pickin' a fight at ALL...i am just willing to debate :)

peace to all

MarkusL1

May 3, 2004
mrgood100 said:
I have caught wind that Cabarete is a center of sinful activities. Be careful if you are trying to meet street women. They are often men who got breast operations and are taking hormone pills. They are immoral and carry high rates of AIDS. Also, there are reportedly bath houses with towelboys and other terrible features. One more thing. Beware of bathrooms where men hang out washing their hands for hours. Only God can help us now.

I have no clue what She-Male working girls have to do with this subject?
Gay men usually aren't into guys posing as girls. Thats more a straight guy kinda thing...
Also, whats immoral about cute towl boys? I'm sure most straight men wouldn't mind a hot towl-girl.

How do you know about guys hanging out in bathrooms washing their hands for hours? Only one who spends a loooong time in a bathroom would know about such things.......

:pirate:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
mrgood100 said:
Anyway, we need to negotiate with gays because they may out reproduce us heterosexuals into submission. Does anyone else feel that we are in the end of our days?

Huhhhh???:ermm: :ermm: :ermm: :ermm: :ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.