is there such a thing as police forensics in the DR?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I was speaking to the cases in the capital. The Sarita case was a case where a buy stander was killed during an assination og a drug dealer by a rival.The others I am un aware of! Sorry

Ah! The capital..........There is the odd homicide elsewhere in the land but.......no need to apologise. :) Sarita's (the totally innocent builder's) parents are still looking for justice by the way. And maybe it is more accurate to say 'alleged' drug dealer about the fish shop owner who was targetted (yes, I know, but he's dead now & nothing was ever proved).

I am aware of these cases and none of them have ever been 'resolved' either judicially or down a dark alley as per CCCCC's meaning.

"It depends on what your definition of "resolved" is?"

And happy New Year to you, too.......:)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
sarita was a friend of mine. His sudden tragic death was a big loss to santiago.
AZB

voo doo man

Dec 27, 2007
Yes unfortunitely this is reality.A large percentage of murders here go unresolved because proof is hard to come by.As I said when I began this posting ,the case may be resolved at the police level ,but justice is another matter. The rules of evidence are a difficult task master and judicial proof hard to come by.Those of us who have a history here know not too long ago some politicians ordered killings too. So much for the lawyers and fiscal! I simply wanted to say that things are changing Madam lambada

voo doo man

Dec 27, 2007
Speaking of forensics, in cases of suspicious homicides are there experts who specialize in doing analysis like DNA testing for blood, hair samples and anything else that they could come across in a crime scene?

And are the commonly called in to investigate crime scenes?

Yes the police Scientifica are in training now and for the last two years.There are several DNA labs being planned or built!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes unfortunitely this is reality.A large percentage of murders here go unresolved because proof is hard to come by.As I said when I began this posting ,the case may be resolved at the police level ,but justice is another matter.

Let's be utterly realistic: 'resolved at the police level' frequently means 'round up the usual suspects'. Crime investigation here is a 'work in progress'. There are a lot of pressures working against successful resolution and lack of training or knowledge by investigators is probably not the most significant. Yes things are changing - they never had this sort of equipment years ago:
:: Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Forenses :: Galer?*a de Fotos
Nor did they have so many of the threats to good honest cops to 'look the other way or else'. So yes training & equipment have improved. So too has the amount of corruption & that growth industry, the drug business. Given all of this I would venture to suggest that we are further back than we were years ago.

Those of us who have a history here know not too long ago some politicians ordered killings too.

Indeed. Not too long ago at all..........;)

voo doo man

Dec 27, 2007
Given the recent stats as compared to last year,you are probably right! The advisors predict moree violence to come, in spite of the improved technology

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
What about the murder of Ing. Engels Alberto Sarita in Puerto Plata April 2006 (the drive-by shooting where Aladino Acevedo, the fish shop owner, was targetted & also killed & happened to have his architect/constructor with him). Have these been resolved?

Sounds like this one is getting resolved as per CCCCCC's definition..............
Puerto Plata Digital

Just thought you'd all like to know..................

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Sorry to hear of this tragedy...

I was speechless (ME speechless!) when I saw a DR FORENSICS VAN come whizzing past me with a long line of other official police...so I guess officially there is one, but as to what they do? Your guess is as good as mine. My point is that in 20 mo here, I've only seen it once!

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I'm not sure how uncommon of an accident this is. I know two people in the last 4 years that have died slipping and "breaking their neck" in the shower.

Here we are worried about wearing seat belts and not driving too fast, when the real danger is the bathroom! Maybe someone should invent shower harnesses ;)