Is this a possibility?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

That is a provocative piece.. I read it a few days ago and have been mulling it over. Much of what he says is very true. Most of the aid given to aid groups stays within aid groups, alas, very little touches the ground.

And in Haiti, they are up against such massive INTERNAL issues.

But right now, the aid is going to go to building structures... roads, hospitals, schools, power grid, ports etc.. and actually the international community IS very good at that.

then we are going to have to watch and wait. There are plenty of really good grass roots groups in Haiti.. and Haiti has some real pluses... i e a very educated and devoted Diaspora

and some big minuses such as the deforestation and the loss of topsoil and the competition with US subsidized rice..

So we will see, we will see

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
There has been a lot of speculation regarding a "flood" of Haitian immigrants into the Dominican Republic.

How about this scenario:
The huge, humongeous, rebuilding effort creating a "reverse flow" of migration with all of the Haitians who have learned building skills, going back to Haiti to earn good money in the reconstruction of Haiti????

It makes perfect sense (which, in fact makes it not all that probable, huh?)

I heard last night on one of the newscasts that the people in the United States had given $400 million in cash to the relief efforts. The papers yesterday talked about $400 million from major donors on the national and international level (AID, IDB, IMF, US Govt etc)....Folks, that's closing in on a billion dollars in assistance for 9 million people....plus all of the practical, physical stuff going on right now.

It seems likely that the rebuilding efforts will, indeed, require massive manpower, and a lot of that should come from Haitians with lots of experience here in the DR going home to become "master builders" in Haiti...

What do you think>

HB

Thumbs up for that idea! And I do believe Haitians are proud people willing to build of their own country if they had resources. The majority are hard working people and most of the Haitians I know don?t use DR and paradise in the same sentence.

May 29, 2006
That would be a real possibility if half the construction people in DR were Haitians, but it is a good paying job and those are not normally given to Haitians. I've seen plenty of Haitians digging ditches and sifting dirt, but none working as masons or welders.

I think it would be great if they could start converting shipping containers into housing in Port au Prince. They are inheirantly earthquake proof and to some extent mobile. of course having a port again would make that a lot easier to happen.

Jan 3, 2003
do not forget that cold cold heart

when describing yourself

fortunately your opinion is not in the majority here on the ISLAND

It may be the majority view of Black Dominicans.

My long term view of the DR is overwhelmingly negative just like Lando Calirisian.

Yet, I believe the majority (Dominicans + Ex-pats) are mostly positive on the outlook. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to sell our goods at TOP DOLLAR.

Given that Little Orphan Annie and we'll throw in DR Defender NALs, your outlook may be correct.

lumiere987

Jul 4, 2007
Right JD, this guy does not know much of anything...My foreman is Haitian, my masons are Haitians and they do quality work!

Jan 3, 2003
But right now, the aid is going to go to building structures... roads, hospitals, schools, power grid, ports etc.. and actually the international community IS very good at that.

I doubt that. The money that has been pledged will not be the actual amount. For example 100 million pledged means 10 million committed.

So, whatever funds are actually available will be spent on the bare necessities and then what?

Little Orphan Annie is hopeful.

Reactions: mike l

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I doubt that. The money that has been pledged will not be the actual amount. For example 100 million pledged means 10 million committed.

So, whatever funds are actually available will be spent on the bare necessities and then what?

Little Orphan Annie is hopeful.

I would respectfully request that you not mock me

I am doing very hard work here on the ground

while you, Vegetable Patch, are moving up to CT perhaps, with NALS?

Jan 3, 2003
I would respectfully request that you not mock me

Are you in Haiti?

Reconstruction in Iraq and Afghanistan have returned very little.

Haiti, if we go by what history dictates, will fare no better.

The former are much more important as far as national security concerns for the U.S. while the latter is more of a humanitarian charity event.

So, it begs the question:

What makes you think it will be any different for Haiti?

Lastly, if we go by what Obama promises, then we definitely know it will go unfulfilled.

Remember his promise to end the war. Now what??

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

I don't get it, on the one hand you are asking people and thanking the world for giving you something to do and actually have an impact with, and then you belittle those who are not "on the ground." Maybe the world that's not "on the ground" should simply stop donating and sending aid to see how much the hard work of those "on the ground" will fare.

Some people should think.... then type. :speechles

PS. Can a resident of West Miami afford CT? :confused:

Reactions: mike l

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I don't get it, on the one hand you are asking people and thanking the world for giving you something to do and actually have an impact with, and then you belittle those who are not "on the ground." Maybe the world that's not "on the ground" should simply stop donating and sending aid to see how much the hard work of those "on the ground" will fare.

Some people should think.... then type. :speechles

PS. Can a resident of West Miami afford CT? :confused:

Sorry, Nals, did not mean you... was just responding to Onions and Carrots referring to me as "Little Orphan Annie"

And I had plenty to do before this tragedy.. never would I ever have wished this on Haiti...

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Whoa!! You're not looking then. I have to say that most of the masons I see on construction sites here are Haitians.

Welders? That's another story. I've only run across one or two.

You're not looking then. I have to say that most of the masons I see on construction sites here are Mexicans in the US.

guillermone

Feb 20, 2007
Chill

The UN is setting up a hospital site for 10,000 on the border

Massive international aid is coming in

Leonel and the EU and the US and everyone is going to get a ten year plan together

do not spout your ugly xenophobic views here when your countryman are being so open hearted and generous

this is a TRAGEDY for ALL of us HERE
stay safe in MIAMI
and take that rant over to the OTHER board where it is welcomed

Excellent!!!!!!!!!

guillermone

Feb 20, 2007
Chill

The UN is setting up a hospital site for 10,000 on the border

Massive international aid is coming in

Leonel and the EU and the US and everyone is going to get a ten year plan together

do not spout your ugly xenophobic views here when your countryman are being so open hearted and generous

this is a TRAGEDY for ALL of us HERE
stay safe in MIAMI
and take that rant over to the OTHER board where it is welcomed

NO....He is just telling a true story, his timing might be off and inappropriate at this time, but it is reality. I have also heard the same thing with very similar stories from others who have experienced inexplicable behavior from Haitians that have been helped. They have said Haitians are like wild animals, can turn on you without warning and devour you unexpectedly.

Nevertheless, let us not allow a few tragic and negative stories make one to have a cold and hardened heart. Learn from mistakes and continue to help the needy and in the end some how and some way we will all reap rewards that are unimaginable.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Are you in Haiti?

Reconstruction in Iraq and Afghanistan have returned very little.

Haiti, if we go by what history dictates, will fare no better.

The former are much more important as far as national security concerns for the U.S. while the latter is more of a humanitarian charity event.

So, it begs the question:

What makes you think it will be any different for Haiti?

Lastly, if we go by what Obama promises, then we definitely know it will go unfulfilled.

Remember his promise to end the war. Now what??

No, I am not in Haiti. The director of the NGO which I chair is there.. but is fine, gracias a dios... the office is standing,.. all the volunteers are safe. Only the laptop --- which was in the repair shop... was lost.

There is an enormous difference between going into Haiti as a humanitarian mission and the WARS in Iraq and Afghanistan.. if you do not get that... well.. then you do not get that.

I suppose that one year in office is certainly enough time for Obama to have reversed the damage of the last 8.. or should I say 30?

But that is for another message board

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
Haiti future is not bright .

Think about all this houses , private. business. governmental, that has to be build up again, and now more expensive, since they have to be earth quake proof .
What shall they build Haiti back too ?
The same corrupt system that never worked, with politicians that think more about their own welfare than the population . Back to the survive day for days system,to get enough food to survive ?
And where are the Haitian president and,politicians ?
In DR and live in hotels there to their new homes are build up again and everything is more or less back to normal again ?

Sad to say, but the best would be to change Haiti completely and start a new course.

I know my ideas are very crazy.

But lets discuss them and see how realistic they are.

Give 1/4 of Haiti to DR, with it populating
Another 1/4 of Haiti could be a new tourist paradise, let all the international hotel chains build new hotels there, give them the land for free, and they must pay taxes, but they must use local working force under the building period and as workers in the hotels later. And all buildings must be earthquake proof.

Why don't USA move their military base from Guantamo , Cuba and build a new big military base of 1/4 of Haiti. In return to get the Guanatamo back, could Cuba let a lot of Haiti start a new life on the ground of the old military base.
1/4 of Haiti can be as before, they can grow and sell food to the new tourist zone in Haiti.
All parts can have local Haitian politicians.
Leading Haitian politicians too , but USA and DR shall also have politician that can decide how Haiti shall be ruled and it future .

If nothing change in Haiti, am I afraid a lot Haitians will try to escape ,also to DR..

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Haiti future is not bright .

Think about all this houses , private. business. governmental, that has to be build up again, and now more expensive, since they have to be earth quake proof .
What shall they build Haiti back too ?
The same corrupt system that never worked, with politicians that think more about their own welfare than the population . Back to the survive day for days system,to get enough food to survive ?
And where are the Haitian president and,politicians ?
In DR and live in hotels there to their new homes are build up again and everything is more or less back to normal again ?

Sad to say, but the best would be to change Haiti completely and start a new course.

I know my ideas are very crazy.

But lets discuss them and see how realistic they are.

Give 1/4 of Haiti to DR, with it populating
Another 1/4 of Haiti could be a new tourist paradise, let all the international hotel chains build new hotels there, give them the land for free, and they must pay taxes, but they must use local working force under the building period and as workers in the hotels later. And all buildings must be earthquake proof.

Why don't USA move their military base from Guantamo , Cuba and build a new big military base of 1/4 of Haiti. In return to get the Guanatamo back, could Cuba let a lot of Haiti start a new life on the ground of the old military base.
1/4 of Haiti can be as before, they can grow and sell food to the new tourist zone in Haiti.
All parts can have local Haitian politicians.
Leading Haitian politicians too , but USA and DR shall also have politician that can decide how Haiti shall be ruled and it future .

If nothing change in Haiti, am I afraid a lot Haitians will try to escape ,also to DR..

Thanks for your provocative thoughts!

Actually many of the Haitians who are here are trying to get back there to help...... only the ones with passports and visas will get back in
The DR border will not be protected just by MINUSTAH when it recovers but also by US troops.

It is indeed Leonel and Obama plus Canada, and other Latin countries in this hemisphere which will control Haiti for the forseable future....

Personally, I would like to see the US close Guatanemo and ALL the bases which we have in 152 countries in the world....

the age of empire is over

plus we are not good at it

you are right about the tourism.. the beaches over there are fantastic and virgin and glorious

What we need, I think, a total green development....

use it as a test case to see what can be done.