Is tourism back?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I'm in Sosua and it's pretty quiet. Flip flops always has some clientele but no wait. Down on the beach even the popular places have their waitstaff cut down from 6 to 2-3 staff total. I see very few tourists from Hispaniola down to the beach. One to three people total in the popular breakfast spots. Yea, it's quiet.
I've seen maybe a few gringos in as many days.
That's strange that you should say that. Yesterday we had a drink in Calle Pedro Clisante in the afternoon. Schlemmerstube and Kings were busy. Plenty of gringos walking around and we were even treated to the old spectacle of about twenty police chasing a girl and stuffing her struggling body into a camioneta. I guess you go out early, because things get busier as the day goes on, rising to a crescendo just before curfew time.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
For men it is circumcision at the testicles, for women it is spending a weekend with a fat European man, with no money, wearing a speedo (aka banana hammock) at the beach in front of her friends
Or worse, for women a ban from shopping for a whole week.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We can say good bye to the year after year GDP growth this country has
been experiencing since the early 2000's at +5%. With all of their eggs in
one basket and such poor decisions being made, the damage they've done
to the tourism industry as a whole will last for many years. With no vaccine
in site this curfew may continue well into 2021..
I don't think the damage to the tourism industry was the DR's fault.

I blame China.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Right, Blue Jack Tar and Riviera Azul are open. But both have condos and residents, so they have to allow access. There are people staying at the BJT hotel but I don't know the occupancy. and Green Jack restaurant is open.

The AI's have to be hurting as to coming up with a plan. It's got to be near impossible for an AI to start back up with just a trickle of people coming in. And I doubt they even have a trickle right now.
Do you know if the Green Jack beach restaurant is open? I much prefer that to the restaurant on Hole 7

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Do you know if the Green Jack beach restaurant is open? I much prefer that to the restaurant on Hole 7

Sorry, Jack's Kite & Grill is not open. But they are servicing the beach with food and drinks from the Green Jack for now.

But yeah, nothing like a burger and a brew on the beach.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
No, I'm really asking honestly. The DR reopened July 1 plus it's about the only place in world anyone can travel to. So I thought maybe it's back to normal. I'm in Israel. I have flight booked for next week to Santo Domingo. I am just going nuts being under lockdown. I want to get out a little bit.
You cannot even see "back" from here.
"Getting out a little bit " is one of the major factors responsible for the ever increasing spread.
Everyone is miserable with the disease precautions but we know what works to slow community spread and it's not getting out a little bit.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
AI hotels just reported they are at about 10% for the ones that are open. They cannot survive at that rate of occupancy.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I don't see it as being any different than their previous advisories.
Perhaps part of my point? We did expect an uptick in crimes but have not seen, read or heard of any uptick. Other then not wearing masks and groups that party.