is true Getting DR residency is easy,if you pay a fee?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Is it true that if you pay like 1000 usd the dominican govt will grant you residency easily and in less than a year?
how true is that?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't pay anybody under the table to get you a residency. This is now being looked for at renewal time and people who went that route are being forced to start all over.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
JC171 said:
Is it true that if you pay like 1000 usd the dominican govt will grant you residency easily and in less than a year?
how true is that?

Use a lawyer and one that other people have used with no problems.
Fabio Guzman (www.drlawyer.com) is a good choice, he did mine and has obtained residency for a bunch of other DR1 people.

ofelia1225

Sep 27, 2004
DR residency

Hi, I'm new at posting on this board. I've been a member since last summer but mainly I read. This board is where I've found most of the information I was looking for before moving to the DR. Can anybody tell me what will the cost be to get the DR residency? (More or less). Thanks.

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Pros and Cons of Residency

Would someone please outline the pros and cons of residency. i.e. taxes, business ownership etc. other than being able to a business I can't see the value.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
boca chica dave said:
Would someone please outline the pros and cons of residency. i.e. taxes, business ownership etc. other than being able to a business I can't see the value.

If you will be spending a few months here every year, probably no need. But if you will be a full time resident it should be considered. There are full time, long time residents, including some on this board, who don't have residency, but if I am relocating to the DR and making it my home, I personally feel better to have residency.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
boca chica dave said:

One reason...

To get car insurance, you need a license.
To get a license, you need cedula.
To get a cedula, you need to be a resident.

As others have said, if you plan on living here or spending a considerably amount of time here, it makes sense to get your residency.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Need residency to purchase car insurance??????

Robert said:
One reason...

To get car insurance, you need a license.
To get a license, you need cedula.
To get a cedula, you need to be a resident.

That's news to me and a number of my neighbors here in Costambar, none of whom have residency and yet have auto insurance. Are you certain of this, Robert?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Buzzard said:
That's news to me and a number of my neighbors here in Costambar, none of whom have residency and yet have auto insurance. Are you certain of this, Robert?

Ok, I stand corrected. Maybe you can get insurance, as long as you do not overstay your visa and have an accident.

The first thing the police usually do is take a photocopy of a tourists passport and entry stamp if they are involved in an accident. Tourist entry visas are only good for 15 days right now, unless you have an extension.

The bottom line is this...

If the insurance company can find an out, they will.
If you have an accident and it's not your fault and you have over stayed your visa then it becomes your fault along with no insurance coverage.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
insurance

Robert said:
Ok, I stand corrected. Maybe you can get insurance, as long as you do not overstay your visa and have an accident.

The first thing the police usually do is take a photocopy of a tourists passport and entry stamp if they are involved in an accident. Tourist entry visas are only good for 15 days right now, unless you have an extension.

The bottom line is this...

If the insurance company can find an out, they will.
If you have an accident and it's not your fault and you have over stayed your visa then it becomes your fault along with no insurance coverage.
Hi. This bit of news is totally unnerving! As a Snowbird (with Residency and no extension to our Tourist Card) I will be checking up on this pronto!! Canadian Bob

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
canadian bob said:
Hi. This bit of news is totally unnerving! As a Snowbird (with Residency and no extension to our Tourist Card) I will be checking up on this pronto!! Canadian Bob
Bob, you don't need a tourist card if you are a resident. Save the 10 bux.

It cost me 1000 US dollars for residency and I didn't pay anyone off. Danny and Diane told me about a attorney in Santiago who only charges 600 US dollars. I know others that paid 1500 US dollars. Go to the cheapest attorney you can find. This is NOT rocket scientry here, just someone to hold your hand and get you through it.

Scott

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Escott said:
Go to the cheapest attorney you can find.

Scott

I wouldn't say that, I know people that have gone to the cheapest attorney, only to end up doing the process again when they come to get their permanent residency.

Go to a reputable attorney that has a history of successfully processing residencies.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I know for sure that if you don't have a dominican drivers license, the insurance company will not pay in case of an accident. Of course, they will be happy to accept a premium in the meantime.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:
I wouldn't say that, I know people that have gone to the cheapest attorney, only to end up doing the process again when they come to get their permanent residency.

Go to a reputable attorney that has a history of successfully processing residencies.

I agree with Robert that you should go to a reputable attorney that has a history of getting residencies. I know 2 people who paid but never got their residency and one who had to do it all over because of the shortcuts taken by el cheapo.

The Dominicans say barato sale caro, meaning what starts off as cheap ends up being expensive.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Take the money and run

Conchman said:
I know for sure that if you don't have a dominican drivers license, the insurance company will not pay in case of an accident. Of course, they will be happy to accept a premium in the meantime.

WHOA!!! heavy words there, Senor Conchman!

As a person who just paid in excess of 24,000 pesos to insure my 1997 Suzuki for collision, theft and liability, you can believe that I will be talking to my insurance agent ASAP.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Buzzard said:
WHOA!!! heavy words there, Senor Conchman!

As a person who just paid in excess of 24,000 pesos to insure my 1997 Suzuki for collision, theft and liability, you can believe that I will be talking to my insurance agent ASAP.
They sell insurance to anyone, even if you've never had a driver's license (you could be the owner and have a chauffeur), but they won't pay unless you are fully covered document-wise (license, legal registration, and insurance) in case of an accident.

Rocio

Jan 17, 2004
good lawyer for residency

I have had a good experience with Santo Domingo lawyer, her name is Miguelina Espinal and cel phone: 858 2226. She picks you up and helps you get the residency and c?dula. If you contact her say Rocio sent you.
She arranged everything for me in 40 days.
;)
cheers
ro

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
About car insurance a few more questions

Have read all the recent messages regarding car insurance in the DR. ... and have a few questions :
A) When visiting first the DR ..8 years ago .. I rented a car with Hertz at the Las Americas airport in SD. I rented the car always for one month and have had small accidents which were always covered by the insurance ..have never had a problem ..is that in contradiction with what you all are saying or do rental companies have different insurance contracts ? or has the law changed over the last years regarding this tourist visa expiration date ? At least until three years ago it worked like I described above

B) Two years ago , tired of expensive car renting costs (1,800 USD/month ) we bought a Ford Explorer (second hand ) which we only use when going on vacation . This car which is in the name of my wife who is Dominican and who has a double nationality (Spanish /Dominican ) is all risk assured ..Every year we visit the Dominican Republic for about a month ..
My question is :"Could we have any problem with this insurance which is in my wife's name as we used at the time we took the insurance her Spanish passport as identification document ? .. Her Dominican celula is `presently being renewed now as at that time it was no longer valid .. "Should we to avoid problems about the tourism visa duration - linked to the insurance policy validity -change the insurance policy and put in on her Celula identification ?..Would this be better and more secure ?

Can anyone clarify this somewhat ..many thanks

Pib said:
They sell insurance to anyone, even if you've never had a driver's license (you could be the owner and have a chauffeur), but they won't pay unless you are fully covered document-wise (license, legal registration, and insurance) in case of an accident.