Islam - New Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Mr./Mrs. Squat, your biases have been noted. Fair enough, as you are entitled to your opinion, but have you spoken with enough Muslims and practitioners to say that its "spread is unfortunate?"
It is Mr. Squat for you, Mr. Lu ;)
And yes, I know what I am talking about, as I grew up in a city with a strong presence of people from Maghreb (Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco)... Let's just say that it is the root of my comments...

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
?

Why the confusion? You were very specific about the DR's openness towards diff. religions. I simply disagreed on the "goodness" part of it.

It's OK AND EXPECTED to respect people, but not their delusions. So, yes, we are reverting back. And that's a shame.

What about Muslims in the DR makes you think they are delusional? Have you met any of them? Have we seen angry Muslims parading down the street? The religion has been here for years and yet have we see anything delusional. The article speaks about Muslims in the DR, not anywhere else. So maybe you might be referencing people in television images, but let's keep on topic of Muslims in the Dominican Republic, please

Furthermore, you don't think it's ok to accept other people's religions? Dominicans shouldn't be open to other religions? How is that a good thing? So we should all be Catholic (and only accept Catholic delusions?) and nothing else? Not a judgment, just a question.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
And how about....

How about AZB apologizes to Bob & Tavina?
He stepped over the line today.

tambo'

Personally, I have sort of been half expecting or should I say hoping for an apology as well - not only were the comments uncalled for but they were upheld, it seems.

Rio

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Fair enough

It is Mr. Squat for you, Mr. Lu ;)
And yes, I know what I am talking about, as I grew up in a city with a strong presence of people from Maghreb (Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco)... Let's just say that it is the root of my comments...

You are entitled to your opinion and I am not here to change it, just to provide a different perspective.

Cheers,

Mr. Lu

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
OK Folks

I really do not think that Robert posted this in trying to start a WAR so stop it already. Read the article and move on. :ermm: In this writers opinion this just goes to show that most "wars' are caused by religious "perceptions" and this is a case in point.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Please

How about AZB apologizes to Bob & Tavina?
He stepped over the line today.

tambo'

Do not hijack this thread. It's an interesting topic, which I know many people will have many comments on. I'd like to hear what people have to say. That was a different thread and a different topic. If there needs to be apologizing, please start a new thread and don't air out your concerns here, please. I've been privy to airing things out on the board and at the end of the day no one wins as the thread is closed, posts deleted and useful forums are halted.

Keep it on track,

Mr. Lu

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Fair enough

ALL religious folks, not just Muslims, but ALL are delusional, whether they are Catholics in Higuey, Mormons in Salt Lake City, or Hindus in Calcutta.

Religion poisons EVERYTHING.

And for the most part I agree with some of what you said, though we can leave that for detailed discussion later. Each person is entitled to their opinion. My only interest, at least with this article, is seeing how Islam has added a different layer to Dominican culture. Instead of being just "Dominican" there are Dominicans with different make ups, languages, stories etc and that is what I find interesting.

Mr. Lu

Last edited:

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Danger

ALL religious folks, not just Muslims, but ALL are delusional, whether they are Catholics in Higuey, Mormons in Salt Lake City, or Hindus in Calcutta.

Religion poisons EVERYTHING.

I HOPE THIS THREAD IS CLOSED AS THIS IS REAL BAD TERRITORY FOR ALL BOARDS.

Sep 19, 2005
Do not hijack this thread. It's an interesting topic, which I know many people will have many comments on. I'd like to hear what people have to say. That was a different thread and a different topic. If there needs to be apologizing, please start a new thread and don't air out your concerns here, please. I've been privy to airing things out on the board and at the end of the day no one wins as the thread is closed, posts deleted and useful forums are halted.

Keep it on track,

Mr. Lu

I agree that this thread has its place..as do most threads...USUALLY people should get involved in a thread for its CONTENT

a previous thread about a Bachata act at a club got turned into a class on class...by a self professed non dominican EXPERT...and then he got the royal blessing...

it is too bad because Bachata is a huge part of the DR and most here would listen to a story or get involved in a thread about...but we dont want to hear how low life we are and have our loved one's dragged through the mud...because "WE" just dont get "something we could give chit about

at the first sign of an trouble maker in a thread..that particular post should be deleted....not the replies to it only!!

carry on about religion in the DR

ps i personally have nothing against any TRUE relgion even if I dont believe in it

bad bad bob

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Hmm To Sensitive Or...............

Yes, sir, fair enough. I like your style, by the way. You're never afraid to tackle subjects considered "too sensitive" by others.

Just outright wrong? This is a tourism and information board. To many get into bs about who is right wrong etc. Really we are all just guessing. Why start a religious "war"? I highly doubt Robert intended this and was jut posting information.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Thank you...

Yes, sir, fair enough. I like your style, by the way. You're never afraid to tackle subjects considered "too sensitive" by others.

The point is, if you want to really get at the subject you can't be afraid. We can discuss it all, as long as decorum and respect is shared. How can we ever tackle an issue if we are scared by it?

Cheers, sir

Mr. Lu

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thing is, it's difficult to mention a religion, and this religion perhaps more than others, and not touch on the theology and the politics. The article centres mostly on the cultural/historic aspects, and as I've already mentioned to Mr. Lu in reference to this article, I would be interested in hearing more about the cultural experience of people with such different beliefs and lifestyle trying to co-exist or integrate with mainstream Dominican culture.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
This is about information

Just outright wrong? This is a tourism and information board. To many get into bs about who is right wrong etc. Really we are all just guessing. Why start a religious "war"? I highly doubt Robert intended this and was jut posting information.

This is about information. There is an article that provides information and then we can go ahead and discuss it. Even if we agree or disagree with it. No one said who was right or wrong, myself and Tao just agreed that we have a difference in opinions. No one has started a religious war. On the contrary, we've maintained civility in the matter.

Mr. Lu

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
I will try...

Thing is, it's difficult to mention a religion, and this religion perhaps more than others, and not touch on the theology and the politics. The article centres mostly on the cultural/historic aspects, and as I've already mentioned to Mr. Lu in reference to this article, I would be interested in hearing more about the cultural experience of people with such different beliefs and lifestyle trying to co-exist or integrate with mainstream Dominican culture.

I will try to get you some interviews on the Muslims I know. As they provide more perspective on Muslims as people and not the political aspect of it.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It is forbidden in most Muslim Nations (Algeria, Saudi Arabia, etc...) to own a Bible, that shows their huge lack of tolerance...

-Can you imagine if we did the same thing to them ???

They usually issue a Fatwa to sentence to death whenever a cartoonist draw their Prophet...

Doesn't look like it will fit in the DR culture...
If this is true, and I believe it is, then they can all kiss my butt and they had better not be expecting any respect or even tolerance from me.
If they want to play by those rules and declare war, then beware, because if I am defending a righteous cause, I'll fight to the death and I won't play fair.
All rules are off, when someone declares war on me and mine.

I do not welcome them here in the DR, and no, I don't really care if anyone is offended or thinks I'm racist.
I mean what I say and say what I mean.
Nobody has the right to try to impose that type of thing on anyone, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
The whole disrespecting women thing and radical punishments, like beheading women who "get out of line" is not human, nor humane.
Combine those things together with their intolerance of other religions, and subsequent unreasonable punishments for anyone "breaking their religious rules", makes them subhuman and subject to be treated accordingly.
If anyone can prove me wrong that they are not that way, then fine.
If not, then I stand my ground and will fight to the death to defend what is righteous, end of story.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I will try to get you some interviews on the Muslims I know. As they provide more perspective on Muslims as people and not the political aspect of it.
Mr. Lu, To Muslims, politics IS religion, there is no separating the two.

Additionally, lieing to Infidels (and ALL non-Muslims are Infidels, make no mistake, makes no difference how liberal and non-judgemental you are) is EXPECTED if it furthers the advancement of Islam.

I'm not sure how much real good an interview would do, especially if the interviewee is not a TRUE believer in the tenants of Islam.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Mr. Lu, To Muslims, politics IS religion, there is no separating the two.

Additionally, lieing to Infidels (and ALL non-Muslims are Infidels, make no mistake, makes no difference how liberal and non-judgemental you are) is EXPECTED if it furthers the advancement of Islam.

I'm not sure how much real good an interview would do, especially if the interviewee is not a TRUE believer in the tenants of Islam.
You expressed exactly my feelings, I could not have written better than you just did...

Let's read that:
http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/archives/012406.php

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Marco, just read those links:

Two men deported from Saudi Arabiafor owning a Bible and Christian CDs

Women are treated as sub-humans in Islamic countries

How Islam Views Christians and Jews

Dhimmi Watch

We don't want those guys here... Even if they look friendly when they are still a minority...
I saw that CNN show with a female reporter who went in undercover, where they dragged women into a sports arena, payed by the western world for soccer, but used by them to kill/murder/behead/shoot to death, women who resist their controls.
I have no tolerance for these people, none whatsoever, and they certainly are not welcome here and I will do my part to make sure they feel it and know it.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Instead of being just "Dominican" there are Dominicans with different make ups, languages, stories etc and that is what I find interesting. Mr. Lu

Me too, but is religion per se the main ingredient in those cultural recipes? There are other ingredients like ethnicity and nationality, for example. Take the Scots who moved here over a century ago or the 'Cocolos' - was religion a defining part of culture for them? And is it now, now that their descendants are Dominicans? Same with the Dominican descendants of Jewish immigrants (both Sosua and the group twenty years earlier). There are cultures in which religious identity is a primary defining factor whereas there are others where it is less significant.

Forgive me if I don't enter the debate about extremes of Islam - it appears to demonstrate a certain lack of fundamental knowledge, hyped by conditioning. A more interesting question to me is how 'islamist' are the Dominican descendants of the first Muslim immigrants here or do they present as being as Dominicanised as the descendants of Jewish, Christian, atheist, whatever immigrants?

Status
Not open for further replies.