Issue over a television

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Why buy a TV on your employees credit? Use a us credit card with warranty protection... Crossing my fingers but I haven't had anything damaged in Santiago. I have the laptop on a $10 surge protector but the TV not. It's a $199 32" special from the US and it has had no issues yet.

Returns are basically nonexistent here. Buyer beware!

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Why buy a TV on your employees credit? Use a us credit card with warranty protection... Crossing my fingers but I haven't had anything damaged in Santiago. I have the laptop on a $10 surge protector but the TV not. It's a $199 32" special from the US and it has had no issues yet.

Returns are basically nonexistent here. Buyer beware!

Ummm?

I don't believe a US CC warranty protection applies in the DR, does it?

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
buy a cheap TV because all the good models are fakes.fuzay.. my Chinese friend told me that. it's out of control here the counterfeiting

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
buy a cheap TV because all the good models are fakes.fuzay.. my Chinese friend told me that. it's out of control here the counterfeiting

all I see here is .....counterfeit.......Before I moved here I talked to the people at Victoria Secret...about opening a store here... After 4 meeting I gave up, no way...all their stores are company owned, and they will not open one in the DR....But in Santiago there is a store that claims to be real Victoria Secret, looked at their perfume, total fake....and higher priced that the real thing.........Doc...........

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
all I see here is .....counterfeit.......Before I moved here I talked to the people at Victoria Secret...about opening a store here... After 4 meeting I gave up, no way...all their stores are company owned, and they will not open one in the DR....But in Santiago there is a store that claims to be real Victoria Secret, looked at their perfume, total fake....and higher priced that the real thing.........Doc...........

They must have changed their mind because there is a genuine Victoria's Secret in Sambil Mall, Santo Domingo.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
They must have changed their mind because there is a genuine Victoria's Secret in Sambil Mall, Santo Domingo.
I've been to it with a friend...don't know if it's "real" but had "real" prices for merchandise on display that she liked.:laugh::laugh:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I've been to it with a friend...don't know if it's "real" but had "real" prices for merchandise on display that she liked.:laugh::laugh:

It's a "real" Victoria's Secret. They have one in Agora, Sambil, and Punta Cana as listed on their international store directory.

https://www.victoriassecret.com/international_store_locations

Reading into your post I don't think it would have made a bit of difference whether real or not...………. LOL

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

The Vizio TVs are legit, not sure about LG & Samsung but I am sure in the stores like Plaza Lama they are.
But nowadays you buy the LG & Samsung ou pay for a name - Vizio actually gets a beter picture and costs 60% of the other two for a smart TV.
TCL is making inroads as is Hisense, and those are solid TVs too

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
The Vizio TVs are legit, not sure about LG & Samsung but I am sure in the stores like Plaza Lama they are.
But nowadays you buy the LG & Samsung ou pay for a name - Vizio actually gets a beter picture and costs 60% of the other two for a smart TV.
TCL is making inroads as is Hisense, and those are solid TVs too

becareful Chico Bill I have seen Vizo's fake at plaza lama

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

What proof do you have they are fake? How can you identify a fake TV?

Over the years I have purchased two LG Tvs from Plaza Lama and when I went to register the serial number I had no problems. RDKNIGHT you have any news links to support your statement?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Last 3 times I was there they don't sell Vizio Brand TVs.
And how would you determine a fake TV sitting in a store of any brand?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
LOL, I wasn't sure but I didn't think they sold Vizio either. I think RDKNIGHT is just trying his best to get to 500 posts.
Or trying for attention without any facts. Maybe next we'll hear that cheap Chinese TVs are instead Vietnamese knockoffs?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
What proof do you have they are fake? How can you identify a fake TV?

Over the years I have purchased two LG Tvs from Plaza Lama and when I went to register the serial number I had no problems. RDKNIGHT you have any news links to support your statement?

you want proof .. lol , do me a favor billy boy go buy your tv and let me know in 3 months how the TV is working. just trying to help you..

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
you want proof .. lol , do me a favor billy boy go buy your tv and let me know in 3 months how the TV is working. just trying to help you..

I have two Vizio TVs. One 4 1/2 years the 2nd for 3 years. Both still working like new

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Look sally ann, I have a LG TV purchased from Plaza Lama 4 years ago and a smaller LG from Plaza Lama 5 years ago and both still working just like new. Never a problem from either one. Also I bought a LG from Plaza Lama I sold because I wanted a larger size and the person I sold it to is still using the TV.

I simply asked you for proof of what you say, but obviously you have none.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Look sally ann, I have a LG TV purchased from Plaza Lama 4 years ago and a smaller LG from Plaza Lama 5 years ago and both still working just like new. Never a problem from either one. Also I bought a LG from Plaza Lama I sold because I wanted a larger size and the person I sold it to is still using the TV.

I simply asked you for proof of what you say, but obviously you have none.

Plaza Lama is the Island distributor for all things LG, so I'm pretty confident their TV's are the real deal.

I've bought a couple of Samsung LED 4K UHD TV's in the last year or so, and they offered online registration for updates, which I signed up for and they periodically do.

I'm pretty sure those are not fake TV's.

What you do find here is older models of televisions, and each year they get better so older models are sold for less.

You also find South American versions of all sorts of appliances that are built to different standards than their American counterparts, but are genuine nevertheless. (autovolt appliances are a good example)

It's a good idea to get the model number (and serial number) of an appliance before you buy it and check it out on the internet

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I've bought a couple of Samsung LED 4K UHD TV's in the last year or so, and they offered online registration for updates, which I signed up for and they periodically do.

I'm pretty sure those are not fake TV's.

Same experience I had with my LG TV purchases. Registered the serial number and got the usual Welcome to LG email and thanks for being a valued LG customer. Fake? No way Jose.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...............….What you do find here is older models of televisions, and each year they get better so older models are sold for less...…...

Now that my fren' is the Gospel Truth. The prices are higher without a doubt but most times people don't realize most of the TVs being sold are last years model, still new and original.