Jake Johnston: Aid to Haiti breeds insecurity

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Aid-State-Insight-Crime.png

The book “Aid State: Elite Panic, Disaster Capitalism, and the Battle to Control Haiti” provides insights into how the multidimensional crisis in Haiti has escalated with international funding.The new book traces the roots of the institutional weaknesses that have aided the growth and entrenchment of criminal organizations.Author Jake Johnston argues foreign governments, multilateral bodies, and non-governmental organizations have played a key role in the collapse of Haiti’s institutions.Johnston contends that decades of foreign intervention in Haiti have warped the country’s institutions so they serve the interests of international benefactors and favored local elites, while ignoring the concerns of the vast majority of Haitians.

Read more:Insight Crime

29 February 2024

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Seems like there is no help that will work. Just like I always thought.

Now the DR has new aircraft to patrol the border. The DR needs to protect itself since the situation in Haiti will not get better.

Reactions: Jumbo and JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
When speaking at the UN a few weeks ago Luis made it clear to the rest of the world if they do not step up to the plate, we are going to seal the border and the Haitians will be left to fend for themselves. Smart decision.

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When speaking at the UN a few weeks ago Luis made it clear to the rest of the world if they do not step up to the plate, we are going to seal the border and the Haitians will be left to fend for themselves. Smart decision.
There is no if possible. People must realize his by now.

The border should be sealed.

Reactions: CristoRey

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
With over 37,000 troops in uniform, it should be possible to seal off the entire border as long as Dominican troops are issued enough ammo, and Rules of Engagement allow solders to fire at anyone who crosses the frontier between entry points.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
With over 37,000 troops in uniform, it should be possible to seal off the entire border as long as Dominican troops are issued enough ammo, and Rules of Engagement allow solders to fire at anyone who crosses the frontier between entry points.
It will never be even close to completely sealed because the moneybags in this country need the cheap illegal labor for their development projects...

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
I just finished reading Jake Johnston's book and found it very informative, quite often upsetting and very rarely hopeful. I was not aware of the huge influence of US policy/aid/interference in the ongoing problems and status quo there. My husband had already told me a lot of the 'stories' over the years but I often found a lot of it hard to believe.

Reactions: NanSanPedro