Jeanne Storm Damages Report

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chris said:
More unpredictable Ken!

No, Chris, I was speaking of the poster that you disagreed with regarding the predictability of storms named for women. I have always agreed with you about those unpredictable female storms.

Btw, you indicated you were reporting from a weather station in the north west. Is that where you have gone to take refuge?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken said:
No, Chris, I was speaking of the poster that you disagreed with regarding the predictability of storms named for women. I have always agreed with you about those unpredictable female storms.

Btw, you indicated you were reporting from a weather station in the north west. Is that where you have gone to take refuge?

hahah! No, not refuge -- just close to real weather data -- so that the reporting can continue. Son and daughter and favorite blond bombshell only granddaughter are still at home and in Cabarete... My heart is quite torn - I need to stay here where it is only overcast and drizzling, but at home, the most favorite and only son in my life is now boarding up where necessary, getting garden furniture in, tying down everything that can move and generally preparing.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
From all appearance the eye of Jeanne----

is traveling along the coast. This is evident from both the IR loop and the Visual Loop provided by Intellicast.

In addition there is a tremendous amount of IR along a line N-S on the West coast of Puerto Rico. Question is, will this band jooin with Jeanne and further enhance the rain/moisture input potential??

Ken, take a look and give us your best estimate.

Texas Bill

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
I have a question...

My boyfriend is in Puerto Plata, and I'm concerned about him. How hard is it hitting the Puerto Plata area? Will there be storm surges and flodding for the Puerto Plata area?

thanks lisa

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
Hurricane Jeanne

MY mother is in RIO SAN JUAN right now and her flights leaves SATURDAY back to Canada, can anyone tell me, if this catergory 1 hurricane is near or over Rio San Juan, I realize its near Puerto Plata. Anyhow if anyone knows anything, I have no way of contacting her, and she is not at a resort, she is visiting freinds that live there.
thanks
ONtario, canada!

SaltyDawg

May 10, 2004
www.caribbetech.com
Jeanne moves inland

As Ken says, Jeanne is moving more west than northwest at the moment - on a track of 275 degrees which is only 5 degrees north of due west. She has slowed down and let's hope she moves more northwest as she hits the mountains on Cordillera Oriental.

However, if she performs to the current forecasts she will pass up the bay of Samana in the next 4 to 5 hours, and then pass very close to Nagua - maybe on the inside around 8:00pm tonight. And then up the coast.

By 8:00am tomorrow she is forecast to be 25 miles north of Monte Cristi. Whether she veers offshore as she brushes the coast range or stays right on the coast or inland is the question.

Maybe you better double up your mooring lines or throw out a couple of storm anchors, Ken, as Samana bay and town may be close on the north side of the storm with the current track. The north side of the storm is seeing up to 57mph winds 30 miles from the storm center.

2:00pm advisories will tell more.

SaltyDawg

May 10, 2004
www.caribbetech.com
Texas Bill said:
is traveling along the coast. This is evident from both the IR loop and the Visual Loop provided by Intellicast.

In addition there is a tremendous amount of IR along a line N-S on the West coast of Puerto Rico. Question is, will this band jooin with Jeanne and further enhance the rain/moisture input potential??

Ken, take a look and give us your best estimate.

Texas Bill

The NOAA weather charts are showing the rain cell that Conchman referred to as a separate tropical storm following right behind and with Jeanne. It is all part of the same weather system and moving together with it - nothing at the moment suggests that they will join up and form one even stronger storm. The NOAA forecasters are not even distinguishing it from the front unit of the storm.

But lots of rain for the next 48 hours probably and tropical storm conditions following Jeanne which will make the storm appear to be lasting longer than she might otherwise.

This image shows off the system quite nicely:

http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/s...1070_m_..................jpg&nbimages=1&clf=1

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
COROLLA24 said:
MY mother is in RIO SAN JUAN right now and her flights leaves SATURDAY back to Canada, can anyone tell me, if this catergory 1 hurricane is near or over Rio San Juan, I realize its near Puerto Plata. Anyhow if anyone knows anything, I have no way of contacting her, and she is not at a resort, she is visiting freinds that live there.
thanks
ONtario, canada!

Once the storm came over land, it lessened in intensity and it is not bad at all. The storm should be past the Rio San Juan area in a few more hours. There is a lot of rain however. I do believe your mom should be fine.

baileyboy, it is some hours yet before this storm is close to Puerto Plata. Keep monitoring this thread for updates, as well as the Puerto Plata Weather Report.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Just talked with Kim Beddall in Samana. She reported it is calm there, but they are getting reports of gusts as high as 90 mph in Miches, which is one of the towns on the other side of the Bay of Samana.

I'll be surprised if we don't get reports of much damage and possibly deaths from this storm if it continues to travel over the small, poor, Dominican areas. The casitas the campesinos live in are not built to withstand much wind, and those on hill sides will most certainly slide to the bottom if we get the forecast rain.

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
Thank u

Chris said:
Once the storm came over land, it lessened in intensity and it is not bad at all. The storm should be past the Rio San Juan area in a few more hours. There is a lot of rain however. I do believe your mom should be fine.

Thank you very much for the info!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken said:
I'll be surprised if we don't get reports of much damage and possibly deaths from this storm if it continues to travel over the small, poor, Dominican areas. The casitas the campesinos live in are not built to withstand much wind, and those on hill sides will most certainly slide to the bottom if we get the forecast rain.

In my experience there is not much forewarning or information in the small communities. This is a sad thing.

SaltyDawg

May 10, 2004
www.caribbetech.com
Ken said:
Just talked with Kim Beddall in Samana. She reported it is calm there, but they are getting reports of gusts as high as 90 mph in Miches, which is one of the towns on the other side of the Bay of Samana. .....
As the storm is very near Miches and Cabo San Rafael currently, those kind of gusts could be expected.

PJT reported at about 12:00 that they were experiencing 40mph winds still. They are about 35-40 miles to the south east from the center in Punta Cana/Bavaro.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34529

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The storm has not reached Rio San Juan yet!

Movement has slowed to 6mph, meaning it wont hit puerto plata until late tonight.

Chris said:

baileyboy, it is some hours yet before this storm is close to Puerto Plata. Keep monitoring this thread for updates, as well as the Puerto Plata Weather Report.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for the update...do you know where i might fidn the Puerto Plata weather report, is there an address for it? Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Phones to Samana

If anybody has the need to call Samana, be aware that all the Verizon phones are out. The only way to call in or out is an Orange cell phone.

Don't know why phones out, but it is not because of damage in Samana. Still calm there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As of 2 pm, hurricane Jean is almost directly opposite the city of Samana, but on the south side of the Bay of Samana. Winds are 75 mph, but further weakening expected as the storm continues to move over the land. http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200411.html

Storm presently traveling due west ata 7 mph, however, a west-northwest motion expected over the next 24 hours. On this track the storm will either be on coast or just inside for next 24 hours.

Rain of 9-13" forecast as well 1-3' storm surge and battering waves along the coast.

Next advisory will be at 5 pm

shelby

Jun 26, 2004
jeane

Good job keep it posted for those of us in the U.S. . Here we are just starting to feel the effects of ivan unlike the folks in alabama Heaven Help them. shelby

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Just spoke with Kim Beddall in Samana. She said it was impossible to see the south shore of the Bay of Samana because it was completely socked in. Ugly black clouds, etc. But fairly calm in Samana. The outer bay is rough, but inner bay is calm. A little surge, but not what they were expecting.

She said that people going about their business as usual, except for the periods of heavy rain. Samana was lucky that the storm went west after making landfall in the DR. I was lucky, too, since my boat is moored there.

Reports from Las Terrenas indicatae completely calm there.

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
Rio San Juan

Conchman said:
The storm has not reached Rio San Juan yet!

Movement has slowed to 6mph, meaning it wont hit puerto plata until late tonight.

I just got a call from my boyfriend in Santo Domingo stating for me to call him ASAP regarding RIO SAN JUAN.. My mother is in rio san juan at this time.. I was also read on another site, that they are or have evacuating RSJ. Does anyone know any more info about rsj? I am very worried.