JetBlue from UK

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I recently came from Dublin via JFK. The beauty about Dublin is that you pre-clear US customs and immigration at DUB and you when you arrive at JFK, you walk straight into the departure lounge ready for your connection.

Ryanair from most UK airports to DUB for around 14 Euros! Bargain!

NelleG

Jan 2, 2018
Deleted. Apparently I’ve already chimed in, no point in repeating myself.

Last edited:

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
Entering the US on any airline you must go through customs and claim your luggage. Then you recheck the luggage.

Generally true, but recently I flew from Puerto Plata to London via Miami using American Airlines (BA Miami to London) and my luggage was checked all the way through. I think this may be the only exception.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks, I realize that, but still a really long journey. I meant the one way price in that example from PUJ to London is huge. I know there aren't any good options. Let's hope some more airlines return to POP.

That is unlikely until demand for such flights returns and that may never happen. Even getting to the US is pricey and connections are horrible if you are not going to New York or Miami. Any changes to the better, if they happen, are years away.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
THe flight to the UK is easy enough thru NYC or Toronto..... easy connection
The return calls for an overnight - usually

Beachboy

Apr 29, 2018
I just purchased (online at British Airways) 3 tickets at 995USD return each, including seat reservations both ways for Christmas (Dec 15th - 29th) from Punta Cana to Gatwick. Family over there say that the international bad press/TV coverage of this years' issues facing Punta Cana tourists hasn't been that severe, so I was expecting very high price for this time of year, I was therefore quite happy with the price given.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Generally true, but recently I flew from Puerto Plata to London via Miami using American Airlines (BA Miami to London) and my luggage was checked all the way through. I think this may be the only exception.

This is the first time I heard about this, any luggage enters US (even on transit) must go through US customs - did you have any special case, like diplomatic or Global Entry etc. !?

Also US does not have the concept of "transit passengers" any person enters US needs to go through the immigration first and before catching another plane, did you go through immigration !?

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
This is the first time I heard about this

Me too! When I was told this at Puerto Plata airport I did ask the lady behind the check-in desk several times if she was sure I didn't have to collect my luggage in Miami.

Did you have any special case, like diplomatic or Global Entry etc. !?

No

Also US does not have the concept of "transit passengers" any person enters US needs to go through the immigration first and before catching another plane, did you go through immigration !?

Yes, I had to go through immigration.

I think Miami is one of a very few airports that do this, and it also applies only to certain airlines. There is very little information on-line. If you look here - www.miami-airport.com/arrivals.asp it says "International flights connecting to international destinations (ITI) - confirm with your airline if your luggage was checked directly to your final destination or if you have to collect it before clearing U.S. Customs", or Google "ITI Miami Airport".

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Thanks for the info, it is very interesting, I did the exact same flight about 5 years ago, by the time I cleared the long queue of immigration and then the customs (which picked my luggage for inspection due to the damn fishing rod - once he saw it he laughed and waved me through...!!!?), I missed my BA flight - the check-in counter was closed. Luckily there was another flight to London a few hours later so it wasn't too inconvenient. However, I said never again and now always go via mainland Europe.

US will do themselves a huge favour and a lot more money/business for their airports if they could tighten their transit halls and luggage security and introduce full transit concept like others (no immigration or customs on transit flights) !

Mr Deal HD

Sep 11, 2019
I recently came from Dublin via JFK. The beauty about Dublin is that you pre-clear US customs and immigration at DUB and you when you arrive at JFK, you walk straight into the departure lounge ready for your connection.

Ryanair from most UK airports to DUB for around 14 Euros! Bargain!

Same here in the Bahamas. Pre-clear US customs before arriving in the US. Such a breeze...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk