jewish history of sosua

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
In the middle east, the nomadic arab tribes do not fence or gate their cemeteries.....they say those already inside can't get out, and those outside don't want to be inside

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
My grandfather, Dana Gardner Munro, negotiated for many months with Trujillo to allow European Jews to settle in Dominican Republic. When Trujillo finally agreed after a large monetary consideration from the US, he wanted to settle them on waste land in the campo. My Grandfather pointed out that they were mostly highly educated people, not farmers. Trujillo was adamant and there was much bitter argument. They finally compromised by allowing the refugees to settle in Sosua. My mother was a teenager at the time, living at the American embassy in Santo Domingo. During a time of bitter disagreement between my grandfather and Trujillo she was arrested for allegedly stoning the German embassy.

I appreciate your forthright discussion of Trujillo's monetary requirements for his "grand" gesture. My mother's family went to the DR before the colony was established, and each of the 4 had to pay a $500 head tax (a fortune in 1939). They were short $1000 so my mother and grandmother had to disembark at Curacao and wait for my New York great-aunt to get the money to them. Where are you based now?

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
well i wonder why they the original settlers /jews/ dont take control of their town ..fix it...:eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre:

DORSA, the Dominican Overseas Refugee Settlement Association, was sold to my grandfather, Bruno Philipp after Trujillo was assassinated. Don Bruno administered the colony for the New York corporation that actually owned it. Neither the Dominican government nor the Israeli government were happy about my family's control of the land, and the last administrator, my uncle, Thomas Philipp was murdered in 1989 with full approval of the Balaguer government. The rabbi at the time, Abby Neuman, told my family that he was happy to "dance on [my uncle's] grave. The rest, as they say, is history.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gabriela,
I remember your posts from earlier.... you have a wealth of information

Downeaster seems to have an inside story too.

Meemselle want s to write something and has a source.

It might behoove you all to talk.... perhaps not here.

I am fascinated.... Gabriela, it was you who hooked me with your story.
I had just lunched at the Gansevoort when you came on with your family's story

EddieC

May 8, 2003
Jews in Sosua

Diario Libre today recounts the history of jews in sosua. good read: http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/el-judio-que-huyo-en-una-maleta-GE1143778

rough translation below:

Rudolf Herzberg left the line. Pretending that he was taking a bundle of clothing from the suitcase he used a stone to make a hole in its bottom, covered the mouth of his fifteen months old son, and hid him in the luggage in order to board the ship destined for Sosua, on the north coast of Dominican Republic.

It was 1940 and Herzberg and his wife Ilse were fleeing violent persecution of the regime of Adolf Hitler (President of Germany from 1933 to 1945) against the Jews. The purpose was to make Germany clear of this race, considered inferior. During the chase, they were forced to leave their homes and carry the Star of David, a Jewish symbol, on their clothing, to be easily identified. It is said that about six million of them were killed in the Holocaust.

Many German and Austrian Jews tried to go to America, but did not obtain the necessary visas to enter. Historians tell us that in the midst of the Great Depression, Americans remained reluctant to welcome them, fearing the competition for jobs and because of the social programs overload. The only countries that lent help were the Dominican Republic and the Philippines, which in 1938 granted 100,000 and 10,000 visas respectively, to receive a part of Jewish refugees following the agreement of the Conference of Evian, France, which sought to solve the situation of the descendants of the Hebrew people.

After arriving at the port of Genoa, Italy, the Nazi Gestapo (German secret police) did not authorize Herzberg's son to board the ship because only he and his wife had the aforementioned visa. Desperation drove him to put the child in a suitcase, and he was taken out minutes after boarding the ship.

"They took a huge risk, because if they had been discovered, they would be shot and tossed into the sea", Denny, the suitcase child, now 76 years old told Diario Libre.

"The journey took thirty days, we were in the third class, the food was very limited and I was malnourished when we arrived in the Dominican Republic", he said.

The book "Sos?a, p?ginas contra el olvido", published in May this year as a part of the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the formation of the Jewish settlement in the country, collects about 36 stories of the ways the Jews came to Sosua.

"One of the stories that most strikes me is that of the married couple Julius and Esther Papernik, who were captured in France during a raid made by the French police in the street and sent to a German concentration camp where Esther gave birth. Upon being apprehended, was already in gestation, it was 1941, "said the historian of Jewish origin, Juli Wellisch.

As described in his book, the baby was given to some nuns who provided assistance in the place they were located. A year later, the couple managed to escape, and could find their son in the orphanage. The family arrived in Sosua in the summer of 1947.

"This event shows the world that we have always been welcoming people, that we are good people, and that we offer room to the neediest", said Michael Cohn, minister counselor of Chancery, also of Jewish descent.

Life in Sosua
In May 1940 the first group of Jews, composed of 38 people arrived in Sosua, joining 1,877 people who resided in the municipality, according to the census of 1935. Kurt, Koenin, Cohn, Aaron and Neumann are some of the Jewish names that are part of the memory of a Sos?a that was beginning to emerge.

The mean of transport was the horse. There was no electricity and the water came from wells. The houses were built of wood, they had outside toilets and the cooking was done on the fogon.

"Sosua was very pretty, but there was nothing. There was only one street with caliche. There was no high school, phone or television; we had radio, we listened to the stories and songs, went to school until noon, there was no danger, crime", recalls Joe Benjamin, one of the Jews who still live in the town.

"There was a small library but had almost nothing. There we no things found in the big cities. The food was never a problem, but there was little cultural incentive. It was a fairly isolated village", he said, lost in memories.

Those who lived in that time still remember Christopher Columbus School, today Colegio Luis Hess, honoring the man who was its director for many years, also of Jewish origin. The farms, the synagogue, the common dining room and all life on the spot.

"Had it not been for the Dominicans, none of us were alive. Definitely, Sosua and Dominican Republic are always in my heart!", said Denny, who now resides in the United States, but maintains a residence in Sosua and visits every year with his families.

There were Jews in the Sosua area long before the time you reference in the article. My Great Grandfather (last name
Charon) was a
Jew from Portugal who owned and ran a tobacco operation between Puerto Plata and Sosua. His Son (my Grandfather) left
the DR around the turn of the Century and settled in New Orleans with his Mother. He was adopted after a second marriage, and subsequently dropped the hyphenated last name (Charon-Cherrie) for professional reasons. He was a musician and shop owner in New Orleans, and often mentioned the story of the impending problems he expected if he remained in the DR.
Apparently there was some resentment of early Jews that helped him in his decision to relocate. He played with many
famous Musical greats in the New Orleans scene and eventually traveled to Chicago. He is buried in New Orleans.
The point I'm making is that there was a small group of Jews that may have been a seed for the ones that were encouraged
To relocate by Trujillo.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The point I'm making is that there was a small group of Jews that may have been a seed for the ones that were encouraged To relocate by Trujillo.

jews have been quite a nation of travelers, i think. do you know why did your great grandfather moved here?

EddieC

May 8, 2003
jews have been quite a nation of travelers, i think. do you know why did your great grandfather moved here?

I really can't say for sure. I think it may have had economic implications.
I have been to the DR many times, and I sense a strange attachment each time.
When I retire early next year I plan to spend a lot of time on the North Coast.
I really enjoyed reading your post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
"From Portugal" could suggest that he arrived via Curacao, where there is a very old Sephardic Jewish community.
Other Jewish families in the DR arrived independently of the Sosua immigrants, and some also settled on the north coast. Most have since converted and assimilated, and some date back centuries, like the Henr?quez family who also arrived via Curacao.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had a pleasure of sitting down with late willy brugal paiewonsky who was a vet in POP. he passed away last year from cancer, RIP. anyways, while we were waiting for my cat to wake up after the surgery we talked at length about his stay in israel, he completed his education there. he came from a jewish family and i understand that many young people from his generation went to israel to live in a kibbutz, go to school or learn a trade.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I know some of the younger Paiewonskys - IIRC their ancestors arrived via St Croix and were originally from Lithuania. Not sure when but well before the 1940s.

EddieC

May 8, 2003
"From Portugal" could suggest that he arrived via Curacao, where there is a very old Sephardic Jewish community.
Other Jewish families in the DR arrived independently of the Sosua immigrants, and some also settled on the north coast. Most have since converted and assimilated, and some date back centuries, like the Henr?quez family who also arrived via Curacao.

Correct. That was the progression I remember from my parents. I remember her mentioning Henriquez as a DR president or government offical that my ancestors had an association with in the DR. What a coincidence. Another family they spoke of was named Estavez, and a great Aunt on mine actually married an Estavez. My maternal Grandmother was originally a Diaz. When I was in Moca last year, I remember several businesses with these names affixed.

My Grandfather was not very Jewish in practice, especially once he arrived in New Orleans. His first wife was Dominican, and he spoke fluent Spanish. Dominicans pervade my Mother's side also. In New Orleans they were considered Creoles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD