Just As Predicted Here On "DR1", The "Metro" is Starting To "Fall Apart"!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
That guy is Jos? Boquete. He is in every edition of the Diario Libre. He always uses the fishing pole and the chair and dresses in the same clothes to call attention to repairs that are needed on the streets, sidewalks, parks, public buildings, etc.

what? i read diario libre every single day, how come i have never noticed?????? you taught me something of value today, thanks. now reading DL is going to be like "where's waldo" competition...

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Serious question. There is a real power problem on the island. What happens when the power goes out for a whole day? How do you get off the car when it is between stations?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I would challenge the "Grand Poobah of dr1", whoever he or she was that made that prediction, to name us a city anywhere in the world that operates a subway/metro/underground that does not have a certain percentage of its escalators down for service/maintenance at any given moment.

fly, you are dead right with that observation. however, the active word is "maintenance" . look at the ages of some of those buses in a place like London, and most of them are still running well. they take routine care of them, so when things break it is not catastrophic, and does not require major financial outlays to get them to run again.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
That guy is Jos? Boquete. He is in every edition of the Diario Libre. He always uses the fishing pole and the chair and dresses in the same clothes to call attention to repairs that are needed on the streets, sidewalks, parks, public buildings, etc.
That's not a guy, it's a puppet.

8DFFFAF2-97F7-475B-931C-7CD26B0D9EE1_zpsnzsouf1g.jpg

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Are you sure they are broken? Maybe they don't want to pay for the power to have them working? Or, maybe they are trying to get you to work off the plantons and Presidente?

LTSTeve

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Serious question. There is a real power problem on the island. What happens when the power goes out for a whole day? How do you get off the car when it is between stations?
Actually, I'm pretty impressed with Santo Domingo's Metro system. They've got some pretty impressive technology working for them. Most Metro railway systems are supported by large bank HE/UPS systems of the exact type used in large data centers (just more of them) and these systems contain very complete self diagnostics which can detect problems down to a single battery cell going out of tolerance. The DC, Baltimore and Atlanta systems use GNB/ Exide equipment shown in the photos below but there are numerous other manufacturers.

networkpower.jpeg

news-07-22-09.jpg

Siemens - Santo Domingo Metro

Cummins Supply Power Needs to Santo Domingo Metro - Power Technology

Santo Domingo Metro - Railway Technology

Escalator systems are notorious in many Metro systems and most employ an army of full time elevator mechanics who are on call 24/7/365. In DC the decision was made to spend hundreds of millions after the fact to erect huge shelters at metro stations to weatherproof the escalators or at least lessen the effects of the elements on them.

40637629_9506368ff2.jpg

They lessened the problems and helped keep commuters out of rainstorms but the vertical transportation devices remain the Achilles heal of Metro systems everywhere. Santo Domingo should be no different.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Now you are mentioning it. Last time I was in Miami I took the train from airport to Dadeland South. Upon arrival it was announced the elevators weren't working.

On the other hand, the next day it was fixed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have never been in SD metro but i am in favour. there is nothing else that can be done to ease the traffic in the city. i wish they had a lot more lines. and, frankly,anything to pi** off sindicalistas de transporte is good per se. however, that does not take away the fact that infrastructure like metro needs to be rigorously maintained. escalators are a small issue, for most people here it will be great to get their heart going while climbing the stairs. and let's not kid ourselves that it an issue for minusvalidos. it is DR after all. those few of the disabled who do go out manage very well. they were getting around the city before the metro was here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"TIME" will tell!
The "METRO", unlike the rest of the country, has it's own dedicated power system.
The "ONLY" real, "24/7/365 system"!
We will NEVER KNOW, but the actual figures on cost to run the system, vs. income from ridership, would be very interesting.
Every system in the world has to be subsidized, because to charge what the trip actually costs to the ridership would mean, No Ridership!
Years ago in Boston, the subsidy was $2.00 per rider.
If the people in the rest of the country knew the actual amount that was being spent to subsidize the "Metro System" that only serves SD, they would be shocked!
So lets build "Linea # Dos"!
The "Jepetas" bought with "Line One" money are getting old!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Are there not much more cost effective ways of moving people in a mass transit system? I was reading somewhere that an underground subway system was 9 times more expensive for construction and operation over a LRT system. I think in Toronto when it came time to expand the subway system they went the LRT route...and it was still damn expensive. It seems to me, the DR either goes all in on a project or they do nothing at all....where is the middle ground around here?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Are there not much more cost effective ways of moving people in a mass transit system? I was reading somewhere that an underground subway system was 9 times more expensive for construction and operation over a LRT system. I think in Toronto when it came time to expand the subway system they went the LRT route...and it was still damn expensive. It seems to me, the DR either goes all in on a project or they do nothing at all....where is the middle ground around here?

Bombardier was concerned that the area might be in an earthquake prone zone, and wanted time to get some expert studies done. Leo wanted it done in time for his election legacy stunt, and so they parted ways.

i wonder what would happen if a Port au Prince type event hit during rush hour?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, over the ground system requires room. both in terms of construction (closing the streets) and use (enough space to put supporting columns). with over ground transport system you need over ground stations too. even if underground is more expensive to build and run this is probably better solution it terms of space. i love DLR in london: it looks great and it works well but there is a reason why this type of infrastructure does not run entire city. it could be great, thou, to connect outskirts of the city with the centre.

SD needs some improvement and reorganization of the city transport. carros publicos are fine if your destination is along the route but if you need to change it ends up being very expensive. a unified transport system where you could, say, ride all transport for a whole day for a 100 pesos would be fantastic for general population. monthly tickets probably would not be so popular seeing that most people here have zero concept of savings but a day ticket? win.

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
Chambers Street, DR

3133007289_bcd43eaf0f_z.jpg

Oh no, could it be? /S

That's a subway station here in the greatest city in the world. Pointing out and focusing on the shortcomings of other people, is a cultural thing, right guys?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Actually Dale, in case you didn't notice, this is "DR!, not "OtherPlaces1".
Your foto is therefore, IRRELEVANT!!!!!
But I guess maybe, for those of you who don't actually live in the DR, but just like to comment on life here,it may be relevent to you?????

Gorgon, in the event of an earthquake,I would rather be on board a "LRV" than in a hole in the ground!
"In The Event Of An Earthquake", I think I would not want to be, below, OR Above ground either, in the DR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
........ escalators are a small issue, for most people here it will be great to get their heart going while climbing the stairs. and let's not kid ourselves that it an issue for minusvalidos. it is DR after all. those few of the disabled who do go out manage very well. they were getting around the city before the metro was here.
Like I previously mentioned the newspaper article only told half the story. Yes, the photo is true as both the up and down escalator on the east side of maximo gomez are not running. But for those who have difficulty climbing stairs they can use the up escalator on the west side of maximo gomez.

Actually, I'm pretty impressed with Santo Domingo's Metro system. They've got some pretty impressive technology working for them.

I agree with you 100%. Every time I ride the Metro I just shake my head wondering how in the world did this "so called" third world country pull this off. The Metro rocks....................

There was mention of a monthly pass for riders. What the Metro does offer is a rechargeable tarejeta. You can purchase 20 trips at a discounted price, and believe it or not I see a lot of Dominicans using the rechargeable card.