Just got back from the DR

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
kellyvalles said:
This move is definitly extrodinary . We own over 500 acres of land and have a business here in SD. Yes, all I have to compare it to is the US. No other tropical destinations. But then again...most people will compare it to what they know best. For me thats growing up in Colorado with blizzards.

Aha, I had a gut feeling this was not the usual "relocator"... 500 acres of land and a business already! Alright then!

Maybe most people compare with what they know best!? I don't! If I look at tropical destinations, I compare between them! I mean, if you live in the suburbs of, for example Stuttgart, then most places would be nicer if you relocated to them,wouldn't they?

But then again, for some reason, you are already established in DR, so not much reason to look elsewhere for you! For me on the other hand, I see many advantages with a country such as Malaysia as compared to DR.

By the way, I have been to Colorado a couple of times. It is one of the prettiest places on the planet! My first visit was in 1986 and I immediately started investigating opportunities to relocate to Colorado!

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
Don Juan said:
.....If you don't mind answering the following.... Why would you want to abandon Ft. Lauderdale for the DR? What attracted you to our poor little island?, Do you intent to stay long, Ie, more than a year?....Do you or spouse speak Dominican?, How will you cope with the outrageously high cost of living, as opposed to Fla? What's the catch? Why,why,why?

High cost of living compared to Florida? Are you serious?

For 60k US in Santo Domingo I could buy a very very nice 2 bedroom apartment in a very nice building in a nice area (Ave. Sarasota near Parque Mirador for example), while for 60k in Fort Lauderdale I'd be living in the slums in a crime ridden area.

Not sure where you get your data from, but coming from a guy who has lived in both Miami and the DR for many years of my life I can say definitively the DR is a much much much cheaper place to live..........IF you don't feel the need to buy 10 dollar boxes of American cereal every day. If you like chicken/rice/beans you are set.

Also get a good maid who can cook.........and you'll never have any issues. :nervous:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Voyager said:
I feel confused by your comment?

"...exciting every single day..."??? You mean, if you will survive traffic or not? If there is another power outage or not? If the barman will know what a Dry Martini is? (I have never had a decent Dry Martini in DR! Aarrggh)

About the pattern of breakfast, work, chores, dinner, TV and sleep... Is that not the normal pattern also for people in the Dominican Republic? It certainly is the life for my friends in Santo Domingo! Well, except one of them, who has three jobs, in order to be able to save a few extra pesos. Her life is work, eat, sleep, work, eat, sleep, work, eat, sleep, work... Very exciting...

Or is there some kind of magic, that I have missed during my regular visits to DR these last 5 years?
I was refering more to the contrast between typical scenes in US and typical scenes in DR.

Afterall, how often in her country can you be in a palm lined avenue and have to weave around a rig shaw being pulled by a horse?

Or being sold just about everything on a red light?

Or seeing an entire family riding around on a scooter or pasola that's designed for two people.

This country just makes you think in ways that other developed countries don't.

I just love my country, what can I say.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Yes Mr. Arenas, I'm dead serious!

GilbertArenas said:
High cost of living compared to Florida? Are you serious?

For 60k US in Santo Domingo I could buy a very very nice 2 bedroom apartment in a very nice building in a nice area (Ave. Sarasota near Parque Mirador for example), while for 60k in Fort Lauderdale I'd be living in the slums in a crime ridden area.

Not sure where you get your data from, but coming from a guy who has lived in both Miami and the DR for many years of my life I can say definitively the DR is a much much much cheaper place to live..........IF you don't feel the need to buy 10 dollar boxes of American cereal every day. If you like chicken/rice/beans you are set.

Also get a good maid who can cook.........and you'll never have any issues. :nervous:
Consider the following.......most people in DR. earn less than $10.00US. per day, on average, if they're lucky to have a job.
Unless you own a successfull business, you are going to struggle feeding and housing your family.
Prices for basic food items are comparable and sometimes exceeds those in US. Ie., meat and fish I found to be more expensive there than here in Maryland where I live.
A gallon of gasoline (regular) costs over $2.00US. there while here is sold for $1.69.
If you don't own a home, rent will seize most of your income.
Yes, if you have a sufficient source of income, own your home and car outright, it's just heavenly- LA DOLCE VITA- if not, well...you risk your life navigating a "yola" to ******* Puerto Rico. :tired: Nos entendemos?

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Nal0whs said:
I was refering more to the contrast between typical scenes in US and typical scenes in DR.

Oh, okey then. I get your point.

For me, however, and the way I see it, these are just features typical of DR, just like any country has it's one characteristics. The kind of features you mention are "quaint" for a first time visitor but, at least for me, become very irritating after a while.

When you've had your already clean windshield washed yet one more time, it is not so much fun anymore, is it?

Risking the life of one's entire family on a scooter is nothing but stupidity, isn't it? Okey, I know there is poverty and all these things, and "what are they to do?" etc. I still find it a madly dangerous thing to do...

The particular situations you mentioned are the kind I have seen in many developing countries all over the world. I remember the excitement of going in a rickshaw in Yogyakarta on Java. Lots of fun, sure! But when they block your way for the umpteenth time, when you are driving to a business meeting, and you are in a hurry, you go mad, don't you? Not so quaint any longer! I remember riding a tuktuk in Bangkok; great fun but I got a horrible headache from riding in traffic in an open vehicle.

I remember my first visit to the USA, in 1986, when I was overwhelmed with the country. Much better quality and price of vegetables and fruit than I could find in Sweden at the time. When jogging in Central Park, NYC, people spontaneously encouraged me with nice greetings, like "Looking good!" I remember the blueberry muffins, so tasty and so big. I remember having water served to my table, without having to ask for it. I remember a courteousness in traffic, unheard of in Sweden. Oh, I so much wanted to emigrate to USA...

Anyway... we can go on forever with this analysis. It is very interesting to see how differently people view things. Obviously, you and I see things from different perspectives.

Last edited:

ColoradoGirl

Jan 30, 2005
Things are different in the eye of the beholder

Voyager said:
Oh, okey then. I get your point.

For me, however, and the way I see it, these are just features typical of DR, just like any country has it's one characteristics. The kind of features you mention are "quaint" for a first time visitor but, at least for me, become very irritating after a while.

When you've had your already clean windshield washed yet one more time, it is not so much fun anymore, is it?

Risking the life of one's entire family on a scooter is nothing but stupidity, isn't it? Okey, I know there is poverty and all these things, and "what are they to do?" etc. I still find it a madly dangerous thing to do...

The particular situations you mentioned are the kind I have seen in many developing countries all over the world. I remember the excitement of going in a rickshaw in Yogyakarta on Java. Lots of fun, sure! But when they block your way for the umpteenth time, when you are driving to a business meeting, and you are in a hurry, you go mad, don't you? Not so quaint any longer! I remember riding a tuktuk in Bangkok; great fun but I got a horrible headache from riding in traffic in an open vehicle.

I remember my first visit to the USA, in 1986, when I was overwhelmed with the country. Much better quality and price of vegetables and fruit than I could find in Sweden at the time. When jogging in Central Park, NYC, people spontaneously encouraged me with nice greetings, like "Looking good!" I remember the blueberry muffins, so tasty and so big. I remember having water served to my table, without having to ask for it. I remember a courteousness in traffic, unheard of in Sweden. Oh, I so much wanted to emigrate to USA...

Anyway... we can go on forever with this analysis. It is very interesting to see how differently people view things. Obviously, you and I see things from different perspectives.

before you read all monies posted below are in dollars

This post is in reply to the differences from the US to Dr1

The Blueberry Muffins, And a courteousness in traffic......In NY you must have been on vacation with no meeting to go to, or place to be at any special time. What I see is the the US is a great country to live in. I was born here I love my country, and fought for it proudly in the First Gulf War. But there are many things that really can make someone mad.

The price of real estate is moving skyward at a very fast pace, in most parts of the country. By the time our kids are old enough to buy, Banks have better come out with a fifty year mortgage. So unless your a very good beverly hills plastic surgeon,high price lawyer or pro athlete. Our kids are going to have the worst of it.

The medical System here is great if you work for large corporation that pays for it . 2 adults 1 child insurance 500-600 month average. since both parents have to work full time jobs,because neither one are doctors lawyer or athlete. they will need 2 cars ave car payment on lease or buy is 225-400 lets say 275 each. thats 550.00 Nothing Fancy... Lets not get into into property taxes for your home ave 700-6000 a year. the 6000 is for south florida and some other big cities. so 2000 average. Home Owners insurance is 600- 4500, lets say 2000. so far we are it 1500.00 per month haven't payed house payment bought food, clothes payed utilities or alot of other things that can add a 100 here and there.

Dont live in Southern California Homes 1600 Sq ft 450,000 40 year old home. Souhtern Florida 300,000 small old home, a lot of the east coast homes are over 200,000 and west coast too. we can all move to kansas where you can get a home for 80,000. Great price a wonder why everyone isn't moving there. Don't get old here the country doesn't take good care of you. unless you have alot money and can do it for yourself, or you didn't kick your kids out of the house at an early age then thery might take you in for a while. A short while... Don't get me wrong this is the land of opportunity.

For alot of people. But 12 billion dollars of bankruptcy debt last year alone.. most americans live on credit cards, and the debts is about chest level. The School system, education is really bad unless your kids are in private school.kids shooting kids in junior high school. Makes me wonder if mom or dad could quite their job maybe they could pay a little more attention to little timmy or susie..oops can't cost of living is getting out of control in the states. Lots of people will probably would respond, I didn't have a problem with my kids or the my wife didn't need to work, Good for you. Your are either on the higher side of 40 and bought your home a while ago when the prices where quite low and have build up a lot equity or you might fall into the above job catagory... not mad just making a statement about different points of view.

If you have the money, move to a carribean island live off your interest. Rent out your home that you owe in the states or other countries and sit in traffic while people on scooters wiz by. Don't worry about the traffic, you dont have to work any more. Home for rent in santo domingo 1000.00 or build,there are lots of lots outside of the city overlooking the water 10k to 15k already have seen a few it that price. have not seen any in the north where most of the foriegners move. The dominicans aren't stupid they see you coming and the price goes up 7 times as much.

Medical insurance for 2 adults 1 child 128.00 per month. Electricity 200.00, food 250.00, maid 175.00 no car payment beacause if you were smart you brought your car over and pay nothing. gas 100.00 per month, come on people get a propane conversion $ 350.00 bad for the car in three years, but look at all the money you saved. and labor is cheap have the mechanic replace the gaskets 500.00.. Oh by the way this is kelly's husband not kelly so don't be mean to kelly.

I have tried three times to get a logon still...waiting. So in conclusion people find fault and things that they like in different parts of the world. I personally liked a lot of places Germany (lived there) California (born and raised there) Colorado(lived There) Saudi Arabia (lived there) Iraq ....didn't like it there to much. and all across the United States. But beacuase this is the DR1 site we are all talking about the Dominican Republic. We must all love something about it, or have nothing else to do but wait for the T.V. Guide to come in the mail.

Thank you for reading my message. Dr1 #1

Last edited:

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Hello Kelly's husband!

I read your message! Next time, pleeease separate it into paragraphs...

As you say, our interpretation of what we find, differs as compared to our experience and background. For me coming from Sweden, the social situation is totally different from what you describe from the USA. Education is free (including University). It doesn't matter where you work or even if you are unemployed, you still get the same medical care. Etc, etc. This is the plus-side of paying high taxes in Sweden.

About the courteousness in traffic in USA, I was thinking in general terms, not on very special cases like NYC.

For me, I don't have money enough to live off the interest, especially not in an expensive place like Dominican Republic. From what I have understood from this board, I would be bankrupt in a few years. I did a quick calculation and if I invested (a safe investment) all my savings in Sweden, the interest would be something like 10,000 US$ a year. Well, that would only cover what I spend on my hobby (=travel). And travel from DR is very expensive, so I would probably need even more than 10' just for that!

By the way, you write: "Don't worry about traffic, you dont have to work any more." What d'you mean by that comment? What difference does it make if I work or not? Traffic is bad is bad is bad!

Rgds,
John