Just how bad is the water?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If this does not deal with the OP's question about water in Santiago, I am going to shut this thread down. Enough already.

As I have said time and time again: Santiago has a fine water supply. However, location can play a part as to whether or not it gets to your house in good shape.

In my house it does and is quite potable. Our health, and the health of all our people are a testament to that.

HB

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Sorry, more poor advice.

Drink bottled water from Crystal and wash the vegetables in the bottled water as well. Everything else can be done with the tap water. People go to the beach and swim and often get a little water in their mouth and don't get sick so why all this unnecessary worries.

Even then if one gets a bug buy plenty of Gatorade and let it run it's course. :)

AND Imodium!!! The best friend to those with tummy trouble

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'm toying with the thought of installing a Reverse Osmosis / DeIonization unit in my apartment. I actually happen to have a new, unused one sitting here in my house, which was originally bought to provide source water for my fish tanks... but have cut back on the fish hobby and would like to put the filter to good use. Does anyone else use one????

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Those who have traveled the world will concur...

If somebody from Spain goes to Belgium for a holiday, they will suffer the terrible turista, and of course vice versa.

The big player here is the difference in diet... not the hygienic standards...

Same over here.... newcomers will suffer for a while until there intestines get adapted...

FYI... I am not saying the tap water is safe here... far from it...

Use your common sense and bottled water when possible. But to say you cannot go to a restaurant here and enjoy a salad????

Reasonable Man

Dec 23, 2011
I usually maintain my residency in Santo Domingo, and I've drank the tap water about a dozen times, and have never suffered from the ill side-effects. I know it's not a smart thing to do, and can't even recall why in the world did I need to go that extreme anyways, but luckily for me I've never gotten sick. I'm actually more fearful of eating out as opposed to consuming the tap water, the last couple of times I've eaten out whether it be at a Burger King in Megacentro, or a fancy restaurant, I've suffered from awful food poising

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
AND Imodium!!! The best friend to those with tummy trouble

Stay away from Immodium. I have it always with me on travel and here but only for those rare occasions that I need to be on f.e. a very long bus trip for more then over 12 hours. Otherwise I don't touch it, better to let everything run its course, drink a lot so that the bug is flushed out of your system instead of holding it up by taking Immodium which only will make you sicker at the end.

Haven't used it here yet and will not use it either. Plenty of water or gatorade do the trick and a day or two a bit off is all that I had to deal with so far.

As for some one here asking about taking a hot steaming bad...are you nuts? In this temperature? A nice just not to cold shower is much much better :)

Acira

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm toying with the thought of installing a Reverse Osmosis / DeIonization unit in my apartment. I actually happen to have a new, unused one sitting here in my house, which was originally bought to provide source water for my fish tanks... but have cut back on the fish hobby and would like to put the filter to good use. Does anyone else use one????
The problem with RO is they require great pressure to get a decent supply of water. A tinaco...or even some pumps...won't supply the needed pressure.