Just retired to Cabarete; looking for next apartment

Aug 6, 2006
nothing wrong with paying it all up front, I would not chastise the man for it.

It is okay if something unplanned does not happen, such as some appliance or the inverter breaking down, the roof springing a leak, and things involving hurricanes, earthquakes, dangerous and/or noisy neighbors.

An unfortunate Latin American tradition is embodied in the statement, "no aceptamos devoluciones", ie, there are no refunds.

Let us hope that no such occurrence happens.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
that's your opinion and its ok but nothing wrong with it

It may be my opinion that it is a bad idea but it is a fact that be giving over the entire amount of money that person can expect from you up front eliminates the payment of rent as leverage going forward.
I don't know if you live here or not but trying to get most landlords here to fix anything is like pulling teeth. I will say that my first landlady was very responsive to any issues that arose.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
It may be my opinion that it is a bad idea but it is a fact that be giving over the entire amount of money that person can expect from you up front eliminates the payment of rent as leverage going forward.
I don't know if you live here or not but trying to get most landlords here to fix anything is like pulling teeth. I will say that my first landlady was very responsive to any issues that arose.
yes I live here and I am not saying its a good idea I just don't like to chastise someone for doing it after the fact. no big deal. I am a landlord here and I take care of my tenants needs. I pay most all my bills in advance. I prefer it that way. just me.

Aug 6, 2006
Surely, there are good landlords. I paid for six months in advance in Mexico City once, and nothing went wrong. Of course, the apartment did not come with any appliances or even lightbulbs.
About all that could have happened was that the water or lights could have been cut off.