Just so's you know, they found the airplane

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
I don't know guys, but it looks like it's the same plane to me. First of all, in the photo where it shows the plane camouflaged both props were set in the form of a cross (+), yes? In the exposed photo both props were set in the form of an (X), yes? We all agree that the props were moved at some point to remove the covering, however, if you look closely on the right side of the aircraft, BOTH photos show the identical painted warning markings on the prop tip. In any case, I'm glad to see the plane wil be returned to it's rightful owners given the value of same! Kudos to the authorities as well!! :)

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
My two cents:

Beach 99 is unpressurized with square(ish) windows. The pics are clearly of a King air. The props on the PT-6 engines automatically move toward the feather position when power is reduced or shut off. When the engines are not running the props will be in full feather and can be spun around freely by hand. In fact, you can hold on to one of the prop blades while starting the engine and have the engine spool up while the prop remains stopped. Not a recommended procedure.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Instead of looking at the plane I looked at the branches in the background of the foto and they appear to match.

May 5, 2007
My two cents:

Beach 99 is unpressurized with square(ish) windows. The pics are clearly of a King air. The props on the PT-6 engines automatically move toward the feather position when power is reduced or shut off. When the engines are not running the props will be in full feather and can be spun around freely by hand. In fact, you can hold on to one of the prop blades while starting the engine and have the engine spool up while the prop remains stopped. Not a recommended procedure.
Really?

May 5, 2007
My two cents:

Does that work the same for the PT6 B and PT6 C?
Is this with Hartzell prop only or any of the dozen or so variants? Have you ever had any issues when the prop speed dropped below 1700RPM?

How about on ALL PT6's there are only about 50 variants, so this is a constant to be used on ALL PT 6's, even one's in a Pilatus or Caravan?

I need to use Google more often, would have discovered the King Air 200 has no similarity Beech 99,1900, 100 or original King Air, I'm dumb...so sorry
I "think" we were discussing the variation in photographs, not whether the picture was of a Beech 200 or not

Enough sarcasm for one day (I'm reading DR1 too much) off to the Beech"

Last edited:

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I write from my experience, many years ago, when I was flying a Brazilian built "Bandariante" which for all intents was an unpressurized King Air. It used PT-6 engines. When they were first produced they produced a little over 500 hp and over the years have evolved to produce about twice that. Unlike most turbine engines the PT-6 is not a fixed shaft engine. The "hot section" is not directly connected to the geared propeller section. Incidentally, the engine takes in its air from the back and exhausts it from the front, hence the big exhaust pipe right behind the propeller.

Now to confuse things further.

Some Pratt turbo prop engines have "prop brakes" so that you can run the engine with all its accessories (air conditioners, electric generators, etc) with out having the prop spin. That way people can work outside the plane safely, like loading cargo, with out being turned into ground meat.

Some King Airs were produced with Garret engines which are somewhat more fuel efficient. But most used the PT-6 which doesn't get quite as good mileage but in my opinion tolerates much more abuse. The PT-6 will run on virtually any flammable liquid as long as you can force it thru the fuel filter. That was a big plus, when the engine first came out, because one could easily wind up at some outlying airport needing to refuel and not have any idea what kind or quality of fuel you were likely to find.

I think this is as far as I'm going to drift off of this thread.

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
PT6 engine

Some Pratt turbo prop engines have "prop brakes" so that you can run the engine with all its accessories (air conditioners, electric generators, etc) with out having the prop spin. That way people can work outside the plane safely, like loading cargo, with out being turned into ground meat.

Some King Airs were produced with Garret engines which are somewhat more fuel efficient. But most used the PT-6 which doesn't get quite as good mileage but in my opinion tolerates much more abuse. The PT-6 will run on virtually any flammable liquid as long as you can force it thru the fuel filter. That was a big plus, when the engine first came out, because one could easily wind up at some outlying airport needing to refuel and not have any idea what kind or quality of fuel you were likely to find.

I think this is as far as I'm going to drift off of this thread.

the Pratt PT6 engines have been flying for more than 50 years and are still going strong today. Multiple applications and long life.

May 5, 2007
Yup.

And compared to a Garrett, whisper quiet...

I don't know if it was there original design, but just read on infamous "Wiki" that the PT 6 was used very early on, and still is , as stationary unmanned power source for pumps along the Alaskan pipeline. I fully realize a failure in a pipeline pump is hardly equal to a loss of power in the air, but it says something about long term reliability as I doubt those pumps receive maintenance every 3 hours or so

To keep it related, are there any Pratt Canada's pumping oil in the DR :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I don't know if it was there original design, but just read on infamous "Wiki" that the PT 6 was used very early on, and still is , as stationary unmanned power source for pumps along the Alaskan pipeline. I fully realize a failure in a pipeline pump is hardly equal to a loss of power in the air, but it says something about long term reliability as I doubt those pumps receive maintenance every 3 hours or so

To keep it related, are there any Pratt Canada's pumping oil in the DR :)
We used to have a couple of Commanders fitted with Garretts come into my FBO. NICE airplanes, but OMG were they LOUD!!!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Didn't Garrett make the engines for original Cessna Crusader, or Challenger or some"C" bird (Imagine that from Cessna) Faster than hell but whined like a cat with it's tail in the blender?
Could be, don't know. "Whine" is the correct term.

When a PT6 was coming or going I didn't use earplugs, no problem. But a Garrett?? Absolutely!

May 5, 2007
Could be, don't know. "Whine" is the correct term.

When a PT6 was coming or going I didn't use earplugs, no problem. But a Garrett?? Absolutely!

Whine, ever meet a T 37 Tweety Bird? Trainer used by US Air Farce? I believe DR Air Force used a variant, the A 37 Dragon Fly but imagine it had upgraded engines over the trainer