Kids not wanting to speak English and Spanish accents

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
Everyone has an accent.

Standard American English is called American Standard English, as spoken in the Midwest: Omaha, for example.
In the UK, the standard is called British Broadcast English. I am not sure of the exact location, but it is English as spoken by the upper middle class south of London.

I think we all understand what she meant by "accent"

Shalena, I learned English from my dad and his family, he flat out refused to speak Spanish to me, even though my mom did not understand most of it, I think the key is consistency. I have some cousins who live in Canada and they only spoke Spanish at the house, at one point you do get a little confused with the languages but as you grow up you iron the kinks out, now they are fluent in all 3 languages.

Good luck!

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Omar Epps, the British guy who plays the lead in House, Meryl Streep, Russell Crowe, and on and on. You cannot LOSE your accent so easily, perhaps, but I would not call that "hiding" it.

I'm pretty sure that Omar Epps is from Brooklyn, born and raised.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I understand where Shalena is coming from, being concerned with her child speaking English with a Spanish accent. It's cute when you're 3, not so much when you're 30 and looking for upscale employment.

By the time Victor is 30, that perception will surely have changed since Spanish will be the US first language :laugh:

I don't know...I have an accent, unmistakable, never, ever, felt like it was an obstacle to my career.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
By the time Victor is 30, that perception will surely have changed since Spanish will be the US first language :laugh:

I don't know...I have an accent, unmistakable, never, ever, felt like it was an obstacle to my career.

don't know about Spanish ever being the First language.. it will certainly be the definite Second language

and there is huge difference, sadly, between speaking English with a French accent which is always considered tres charmant.. and with a Spanish accent.. which is considered.. well.. not so much.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
And the accent matters a lot. I met a guy at a local water hole on Long Island who had well, a LI accent .. sorta Queens, with a strange twist, and asked where he was from.. and he said France. So we switched into French. And in French, he spoke as an extremely educated, college educated person -- whereas his English was really quite vulgar, full of street idioms and incorrect grammar. I told him as much. That I would never have judged from his English that he was a college educated person.

He thanked me profoundly and said that no one had ever observed that. He said he had never really studied English but had just rather picked it up from where he lived. He asked me what to do about it. I suggested that he get a copy of the DVD of My Fair Lady and watch it over and over.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The problem is that you are way too concerned with what children want. Children have no experiences, they dont know what they want unless its some junk they just saw on tv. It is up to adults to explain in a clear firm and nice way what they will do and when they will do it. After children demonstrate good sense they are slowly given the opportunity to begin making choices. Just my opinion and viewpoint.

Aug 6, 2006
don't know about Spanish ever being the First language.. it will certainly be the definite Second language

and there is huge difference, sadly, between speaking English with a French accent which is always considered tres charmant.. and with a Spanish accent.. which is considered.. well.. not so much.

================================================
There is Ricardo Montealb?n's accent, and the Most Interesting Man In the World Who Drinks Dos Equis accent, and then there is the "Frito Bandido" "?Papers? ?papers? Ay doan has to chow jew no steenkeeng papers" accent.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just keep speaking English to him, and have his siblings do the same.
It will work out in the end, so don't give up!
"LC" might be right about my "Spanish Language" skills.
When my two daughters started in a new school, they speak Spanish,the teacher asked their mother where they were from???
She said she loved their "Accent"!

My goal is to someday speak Spanish as well as chip says he does!
"My Fren"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Sad Annie, but unfortunately very true.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Unless ure in Britain and they will call u a frog........

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks everybody. Very good ideas and thoughts. My older children speak Spanish without an American accent and English of course, without a Spanish accent. They also know how to speak to educated people (their teachers, business people, in a restaurant) and how they can speak at home. I realized this when I heard my daughter tell Victor at home "Tu no va pa' ningun lao!" but she said the exact same thing again another time at church when Victor was acting up wanting to go to the colmado and she said "No vas para ningun lado, Victor, te lo dije!" and I am very proud of that because I have expressed the differences to them extensively as they do spend a lot of time in the campo.

So when they are with friends or at home, I left them speak the way they want because I know that they know the differences. Victor, on the other hand, is still very small and I just want to make sure that he learns English well enough to succeed in the States if he decided after the college that he wants to remain living in the States.

Most of the people I know in the States with heavy spanish accents did come as late teenagers or early adults, so I am hoping that with consistent English from me and his siblings and doing some of the things suggested here that the accent won't be so much of a challenge.

Thanks again for all of the advice. He likes to say words in English but you can't a whole sentence out of him to save his life. Its going to take some work but we'll see what happens :)

SHALENA

Sep 4, 2012
Victor needs to hang around with kids his age which would speak English as well. He knows and chose to speak Spanish because that is what his friends are comfortable with. That is around the barrio or at school. Get him around English speaking kids of his age and he'll adapt to both rather fast.

May 29, 2006
One of the problems with kids shows is the voices are so cartoony that they are less clear. I was hoping to watch them to improve my Spanish but found the voices too hard to understand. Maybe audio books? There are lots on YouTube:

Eeyore has a birthday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq_ZiAVNGRE

Knew a couple in Japan. The husband was Dutch, the wife was French and they talked to each other in English. By the time the kid was 4, he could speak four languages. The hard part was that he would mix them together sometimes.