Kite board.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Can someone please give me the name of a good kite board instructor? And cost? I will be in town October 5. Gracias amigos!

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Most of the schools are pretty good. I like Kite Club, which is on Kite Beach. They teach the teachers. You can find them on google easily by entering "kite club cabarete" Their prices are on their web page.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Just give you some info about my experience with Kite Surfing. I have done a few lessons here and there over the years (in DR and other countries). I found it quite hard. Don't have too high expectations. The whole one week lesson business is basically based on giving you a taste and hopefully hook you on the sport. They keep telling me any failures is to do with bad instructor, bad kite/board etc. and bad weather and condition - basically any excuse to get you to do more lessons !?!

I met a few impartial students who also did these lessons, and from they results, generally unless you have previous experience in some related sports and or are extremely good at these things you are not going to be whizzing around like the guys you see in Cabarete. I still can't even get on the board !?

Note who gives you advice about this, those somewhat involved and have interest one way or another in hotels/condos, kite schools, local businesses, are not very impartial.

From what I hear those who succeed mainly had a good friend/family to help them along and/or bought their own kite and practice for months (again with help of others) to reach a basic level to be able to do a simple Kite Surf. (Note I did some Windsurfing and I was up and running after a few days, totally different. I also can sail a small dingy easily, but none of these helped much in my kite surfing adventure).

Again your instructor and school will tell you anything to get that $150 a day tuition out of you, but bear in mind at the end you might not achieve what they (confidently) claim . And unless you have cash to splash it will be hard to carry on with those rates for a few months to build up essential skills.

Don't get me wrong, I really recommend giving it a try, it's a lot of fun, a week of hard work and a great experience, but just don't get your expectations too high. I did and was (am) terribly disappointed that despite being able to learn things fairly quickly, I hit a solid wall at this - it is expensive and requires a lot of time to achieve even the basic level. I almost got to a point of thinking all these schools are like scams, take your money and leave you half way, now do you want to go on and spend a lot more dosh or just leave it - hard choice, and the more you spend the more you get sucked in... !?

I'm sure that this is not true as many people use them and seems to be satisfied but I think they mostly do a week and put it down as a good experience, forget it and move on. I think a few lucky ones will get that extra help from friends and family and can go forward with the sport.

Anyway, have fun....

(P.S. Don't worry too much about which school you go with, they all give you about the same service for beginners. But they all tell you they are the best and others are not good. Later if you go to another one they say you didn't learn because you went with the bad school/instructor, now try us !? Believe me I have tried a few, they are not that different. Of course the more you do it the better you get anyway, so it's not the better second school or 3rd or 4th......LOL ! It's you... )

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Just give you some info about my experience with Kite Surfing. I have done a few lessons here and there over the years (in DR and other countries). I found it quite hard. Don't have too high expectations. The whole one week lesson business is basically based on giving you a taste and hopefully hook you on the sport. They keep telling me any failures is to do with bad instructor, bad kite/board etc. and bad weather and condition - basically any excuse to get you to do more lessons !?!

I met a few impartial students who also did these lessons, and from they results, generally unless you have previous experience in some related sports and or are extremely good at these things you are not going to be whizzing around like the guys you see in Cabarete. I still can't even get on the board !?

Note who gives you advice about this, those somewhat involved and have interest one way or another in hotels/condos, kite schools, local businesses, are not very impartial.

From what I hear those who succeed mainly had a good friend/family to help them along and/or bought their own kite and practice for months (again with help of others) to reach a basic level to be able to do a simple Kite Surf. (Note I did some Windsurfing and I was up and running after a few days, totally different. I also can sail a small dingy easily, but none of these helped much in my kite surfing adventure).

Again your instructor and school will tell you anything to get that $150 a day tuition out of you, but bear in mind at the end you might not achieve what they (confidently) claim . And unless you have cash to splash it will be hard to carry on with those rates for a few months to build up essential skills.

Don't get me wrong, I really recommend giving it a try, it's a lot of fun, a week of hard work and a great experience, but just don't get your expectations too high. I did and was (am) terribly disappointed that despite being able to learn things fairly quickly, I hit a solid wall at this - it is expensive and requires a lot of time to achieve even the basic level. I almost got to a point of thinking all these schools are like scams, take your money and leave you half way, now do you want to go on and spend a lot more dosh or just leave it - hard choice, and the more you spend the more you get sucked in... !?

I'm sure that this is not true as many people use them and seems to be satisfied but I think they mostly do a week and put it down as a good experience, forget it and move on. I think a few lucky ones will get that extra help from friends and family and can go forward with the sport.

Anyway, have fun....

(P.S. Don't worry too much about which school you go with, they all give you about the same service for beginners. But they all tell you they are the best and others are not good. Later if you go to another one they say you didn't learn because you went with the bad school/instructor, now try us !? Believe me I have tried a few, they are not that different. Of course the more you do it the better you get anyway, so it's not the better second school or 3rd or 4th......LOL ! It's you... )

Thanks Uzin for the input and I hear what your saying about impartial opinions , but I was excepting all sorts of opinions. Its up to me to decide on the fit and not being a tourist and being able to speak spanish( basic) I won't pay tourist prices.
I was an Army paratrooper for five years, and grew up in waterskiing so I sure hope I pick it up. But what the heck Ill give it a go! I am in shape and an athletic guy.
Thanks again and have a good one.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
The water-skiing experience will definitely helps with the board control, you need to learn to handle the kite and then do them both together (multi-tasking !).

PM me and let me know how you get on, I love to hear your experience, I will be here for a few more months and might give it another try myself.

I have details for a lot of schools, but it's a bit out of date now, best is to just walk along the beach and speak to them all and find one that your like - there are 3 main beaches (2) for kite surfing. Let me know if you need any other info...