La Vega - Where to buy self defense weapons?

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Can somebody tell me if stun guns (also Taser) are legal here in Dominican Republic and also if it is possible to buy and bring them from the States in the luggage without any problem. I don't know anything about all of this but I'm looking for something to defend myself. In the future I'll buy a gun. For those who can read French, you can have a look at my blog : Skyblog de estrella-star : Pourquoi j'habite en R?publique dominicaine (from #109) to know about my "bad" experience here in the country.
Is it safe to buy a stun gun, is there a place or somebody who can teach me how to use it,.... ? I am living in Puerto Plata. Thank you very much.

Before I used my taser a few years ago, I made the correct legal investigations with certain Police and was told they are legal. Please dont ask where I got it from, I would never give this info or aid someone to get one that I didnt know - for obvious reasons

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Stun Guns....???

To the best of my knowledge, they are legal to own in the DR. I have seen them on display for sale in SD in at least two legal Gun Shops near Caribe Tours. They were older models (probably used) and very expensive. I have yet to see Air Tasers (type Police/Law Enforcement used) or refill cartridge paks sold in the DR. I have two older Model 3400 Air Tasers (shoots out two electrical darts from disposable cartridge), which I no longer have use for, since I now have a legal firearm. The local police (PN) used my last cartridge on an unrulely drunk who was threating some people in town (with broken bottle and rocks). They use it, after I quickly demonstrated to them how to use it, and returned it to me. The Fiscal (at that time was standing next to me during the entire time my Air Taser was used and returned. They even thanked me for letting them use it. Be Safe and Happy New Year to all. :bunny:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
In Santiago

If memory serves me correctly, Bellon (Hardware Store, could not spell Ferreter?a) in Santiago used to sell them a few years ago up in the 2nd floor sports department. That?s where I bought one back then.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Can somebody tell me if stun guns (also Taser) are legal here in Dominican Republic and also if it is possible to buy and bring them from the States in the luggage without any problem. I don't know anything about all of this but I'm looking for something to defend myself. In the future I'll buy a gun. For those who can read French, you can have a look at my blog : Skyblog de estrella-star : Pourquoi j'habite en R?publique dominicaine (from #109) to know about my "bad" experience here in the country.
Is it safe to buy a stun gun, is there a place or somebody who can teach me how to use it,.... ? I am living in Puerto Plata. Thank you very much.

Only Police or military are allowed to carry/own that kind of stuff. If you get caught with one they'll incarcerate you and the amount of money that you'll need to spend to make it go away is not worth it.

A .22 caliber is very easy to conceal and retrofit with a home made silencer, thus enabling assassinations to be carried out with ease. The Police know that so too the military intelligence outfits in the DR. If you try to buy such caliber you better watch out!!!

You can legally buy a short barreled Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip for home protection with ease or a semi-automatic (yes semi-automatic) shotgun if you want to blow something (or someone) into thin spaghetti...

I inherited a Thompson (yes a Tommy gun) from my military retired father; it took me three years and a lot of grease to get the Armed forces to allow me to have it, which is after I had to remove the trigger mechanism on the gun. The gun is 100% operational as soon as I just put the trigger assembly back!

It uses .45 hardballs (50 in a drum), I use it at home as a backup to my .45 1911-A1 (yes also a hand-down from my pops).

The Armed Forces have special treatment for family of active and retired personnel (albeit the rank must be above the average).

My father was "enlisted" by my grandpa into the military via his friends in the military and gov. He was assigned (as they opted where to send you to) to the SIM as a Coronel. He tells us that he got a paycheck and just had to show his face once in a blue moon at the meetings and to pick up his paycheck. His best buddy, who became the family Doctor, was a Doctor in the service as well.

I guess he's job is better explained as a "Botella"... LOL!!!!

BTW: The Tommy was a gift from Neit Nivar Seijas.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
What's put up for sale in the DR in a store doesn't guarantee that such device is Legal to own. In the DR you won't find a license to own such weapon, in truth just like my Tommy, people that are not seen as delinquents can get one and the authorities pretty much look the other way. That happens always that you don't find yourself in the event of having to use it!!! Use it and another thing comes your way!!!

My Tommy can be fired by me and direct person with me, but not as I would use my .45 or 9mm. That was the first thing told to me off-the-book...

Heck! I know people that own a Bazooka in the DR, even a 50 cal machine gun, all with due papers from the Armed Forces. But that won't help a tad if they're employed in killing somebody.

Last time I visited my father's compadre home (Nivar Seijas) he had a huge amount of weapons in a room and all over his home on display (some not). Sometime later he was raided by the Police and Armed Forces by the new administration in the DR and after the same Armed Forces admitted that they knew before hand about the guns (as it was a private collection of his) the charges were dropped as well as the guns returned to him. Well, not before some big caliber guns were "donated" to the weapon's museum of the Armed Forces by Nivar. Just keep in mind this was a General of the DR!!!

What you can buy and actually legally own in the DR are two distinct evils...
Believe me when I tell you Tasers are NOT legal to own at all, let alone use on somebody... That unless, you are well connected in the pecking order of the DR.

Just taking a glance at the problems Arturo Pellerano is under should make you think twice about it... Things are changing a bit in the DR. People that before were untouchables are now fair game...

Last edited:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
The US will not legally allow any mace/pepper sprays, stun guns, tasers to be shipped outside of the US. If you are caught shipping them here they will be confiscated. I know where you can buy all these items in the DR. You can buy them legally here (stuns and tasers) for use in your home, you CANNOT carry the tasers outside your home without a legal license to carry. You can pm me for info where to buy from a legally licenced shop.