LADIES ONLY! And Now A Few Words From Meemselle....because one word is never enough

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
A new one!

https://meemselle.wordpress.com/

The Ruido Rant

Yes. "Ruido." Spanish for "noise."

I may have only a Few Words, but I have a lot of noise. And I'm not just referring to the voices in my head. I have actual, conversation-stopping, relentless noise in my home.

My dedicated followers will recall that I moved about six months ago from the Mango Penthouse because of a rat infestation that was not addressed by my landlord. In my quest for Dominicana status, I ride gua-guas and practice mouth ballet on a regular basis. But living with rats: I couldn't face it, Gentle Readers. I'm just not there yet.

So when I found a lovely one-bedroom apartment, also in central Sosúa, from which the landlady was more than willing to remove the furniture to accommodate mine, I jumped. The alacrity with which the landlady offered to remove the furniture should have been a sign. It turns out I jumped, alas, too quickly.

My apartment is located at the corner of one of the busiest parts of Autopista 5 as it rolls through Sosúa. My view includes the police station parking lot, the Texaco, and Funeraria Blas Blass. The apartment is on the third floor. It boasts gorgeous wood cathedral ceilings, a pool, an adequate kitchen, an automatic washing machine, a terrace, and a bathtub. A tub is a big deal in this country. Dominicans apparently have not mastered the art of getting in and out of one, and plus, you have only so much hot water in your heater.

On paper it sounds fabu, doesn't it?

Let me give you one word of advice, Darlinos. Before you take on new lodgings, INSIST on sleeping there for two nights before you sign a contract. Buy yourself a cot and a sleeping bag and save them for just such an occasion. This being along the lines of "if I had known then what I know now...." which is neither productive advice nor productive thinking.

Girding my loins and gritting my teeth, I have done a fair amount of entertaining here. It always seems such a lovely idea to sit on the terrace before dinner, sipping (OK, chugging Prosecco) and nibbling (OK, scarfing down) salted almonds. So civilized. So charming.

One would think.

In fact, it is an ordeal which my most devoted guests have learned barely to endure, which may go a long way towards explaining why the Prosecco gets chugged and the almonds get devoured so that we can get inside and close the French doors to block out the overwhelming rudio.

We're not talking a few errant crowing roosters or a barking dog here. We are talking thousands of moto-conchos, taxis, gua-guas, cars, personal motorcycles, lots and lots of heavy duty trucks and a traffic cop whom I believe was born with a whistle in his mouth. And Dominicans are in love with their horns. Good Lord, are they in love with their horns!

In a way that's a good thing, especially should you take leave of your senses and decide to drive here. Horns take the place of directional signals. Horns take the place of brakes. Horns take the place of driving sober.

The constant cacophony of horns is like hearing Steve Reich's music for the first time. Except that Steve Reich, don't forget, writes it down. The sheer randomness of Dominican horn-honking is what sets---and keeps---your teeth on edge. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Buzzy little bikes, misfiring mufflers, screeching tires, grinding gears, the bellow of enormous semi's pulling incessantly on the horn, with the continuous shrill counterpoint of the whistling policeman: well, it makes your ears bleed.

I have omitted the cherry on top, however, and this is the volume at which music is played in private vehicles. Dominicans are a highly hospitable people, and they are more than willing to share their car music. With everyone. Even if it were my taste in music (which it most assuredly is NOT), I don't need to hear it blasting from the open windows of a passing car at a volume specially designed to insure deafness in approximately 5 hours. Think of the C train coming into the Museum of Natural History stop, and you're close. This must be why Dominicans yell all the time.

In fact, it is because of ruido that I have been up since 4 a.m. Yes, OK, it was Saturday night so one expects---and in fact, celebrates---your neighbors having a good time, knocking back a few beers, and listening to some music.

But try going to sleep. In fact, I have more or less adjusted my sleeping schedule so that I go to bed at about 4 a.m. when the noise abates somewhat, waking up at noon, when every self-respecting Dominican heads out for lunch, a journey which is sacrosanct, requiring the use of a vehicle, ideally driven at top horn volume because you don't want to get out for lunch and find out the habichuelas are cold.

It is now 7 a.m. and because it is Sunday, it is relatively quiet. In fact, I'm enjoying the roosters. Time for bed.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I don't think it matters where you live here - there is always noise. I live in the countryside, on the top of a mountain and not even on a road - just a track. No motoconchos, rarely music, but it is noisy from 3am due to animals. The roosters start at 3 am, just crowing once, and then at 4am, then 5am. At 6am the real noise begins. Roosters crowing every 14 seconds, answered by roosters up the mountain and down the mountain. A true chorus. The baby chicks get up around 6.30, and start cheeping. Fine if you have one or two, we must have close to 50 at the moment. The neighbour's goats, cows and ducks baa, moo and quack from 6am and on top of that the dogs bark when there is any movement at all from neighbours' houses and they all get up at an ungodly hour. When the vehicles go past announcing bleach for sale, vegetables for sale or scrap metal collectors, the dogs go into their howling mode. Each howl lasts around three minutes and that is more or less every 20 minutes from 6 am. On Fridays, the garbage men actually drive into the front garden to turn the garbage truck around and collect our garbage. Their favourite game is to howl back at the dogs, so along with the noise of the truck you hear garbage men howling and dogs howling back. To sleep in until 8 am is but a distant memory!

Matilda

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I don't think it matters where you live here - there is always noise. I live in the countryside, on the top of a mountain and not even on a road - just a track. No motoconchos, rarely music, but it is noisy from 3am due to animals.

The animal noise I could live with. I draw the line at traffic jams in my living room!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The animal noise I could live with. I draw the line at traffic jams in my living room!

I’ll bet that the longer you live there, the less you’ll hear it. We become immune after awhile. I don’t even hear the animals anymore, except if there’s a dog in heat because that’s relentless. Our loudest animal, by far, is a peacock that a neighbor has, but luckily it doesn’t caw during sleeping hours.

Find a noisy fan to turn on while you sleep, works wonders!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Lol...actually you get so use to it that you can't sleep without it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

That is sooooooo true. Reading that just gave me a flashback to when Mr AE and I moved from noisy NYC to Lawrenceville, NJ. First night, we couldn’t sleep. We finally realized that it was too quiet.

We have ceiling fans in DR, but we use a noisy Lasko pedestal fan in our bedroom and don’t use the ceiling fan. :)

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

I so wish that were true! I lived in New York City for 23 years. I have never experienced this kind of noise. Words---even mine---cannot adequately describe the sheer volume and intensity. I've been in this apt. for 10 months. I am clearly not going to get used to it. But who wants to move 2x in one year?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I’ll bet that the longer you live there, the less you’ll hear it. We become immune after awhile. I don’t even hear the animals anymore, except if there’s a dog in heat because that’s relentless. Our loudest animal, by far, is a peacock that a neighbor has, but luckily it doesn’t caw during sleeping hours.

Find a noisy fan to turn on while you sleep, works wonders!

I've done it all. Windows closed. Fans. White noise machine. Even endured a/c. If I'm not acclimated to it after 10 mos., I don't think it's happening. If it was a dull roar, fine. But the sheer randomness of it, the unpredictability: that's what gets me.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Wherein Meemselle Confronts an Ethical Dilemma

http://https://meemselle.wordpress.com/
posted 040419

I’ve been assembling a list of repairs needed in my apartment. I know that my LandLady is not going to pay for them, as her theory is that she gives me all these things that are working and I am sitting up here breaking them with wanton abandon and glee. There’s a faucet that’s been dripping since before I signed the rental contract, and as I can bear it no longer, I’m springing for this and similar repairs.

I found a local team and they came today—an old Canadian and a young Haitian. I walked them through the list and asked them to get back to me with an estimate. There’s nothing major: a leaky faucet, a towel bar that came off the wall, replacing a kitchen faucet, etc. Things like that.

One of the items on the list was the rattle in the air conditioner. I am no fan of air conditioning, but summer is icumen in, which means that closing the windows to keep out the deafening noise from the street below will no longer be an option. I may have to bite the bullet and use the A/C from time to time, and I can’t have the noise from the air conditioner being as loud (or louder) than the ruido from below. Aha, say the handypeople. An air conditioner. For that, they’d need an Expert. All right, says I, ushering them out the door. Enough already. These Few Words have been sufficient. It’s early in the day for me. Just call me with an estimate.

The next thing I know, they’re back on the phone and they’ve got the Expert with them. I hadn’t exactly been planning on this, but OK. I guess I have to give them points for enthusiasm, and when you get worker people who show up on time, you have to embrace it. Especially if they could scare up an Expert on such short notice.

So I turned on the A/C to demonstrate, and it sounded like a 747 taking off and you’re lying on the runway like John Cusack. So the Expert gets to tinkering, and the next thing I know. the unit is completely out of the wall, and I have an excellent view of the pica pollo downstairs. I have to remind the Expert and the handypeople that it’s OK—in fact, preferable—that they move the fan, the boxes of books, and my guitar out of the way, because I can visualize the air conditioner landing on the guitar case and it’s goodbye Layla.

So now it’s me in my bedroom with 3 men: a Canadian, a Dominican, and a Haitian. It sounds like the beginning of a bad joke. The Canadian man wants to engage me in conversation, like how long have I been here, where am I from, etc., exactly the conversation I try desperately to avoid. It is also not comfortable answering these questions as I sit on an unmade bed in a room filled with strange men.

The Canadian turns the conversation to US politics and I can see where we’re going with this, and so now I am not only sitting on an unmade bed in a room with a Canadian, a Dominican, and a Haitian, but one of them is a fascist. I am not a happy woman. The conversation was swiftly and decisively terminated by me, with something polite and eloquent like, “STOP. I really don’t want to talk about this.”

International confrontation averted, it turns out that the noise in the air conditioner was caused by the pieces of the interior fan that have rusted and fallen off and are shake, rattle, and rollin’ around on the bottom. There is no way to fix it. And I know for certain that LandLady is not going to spring for a new air conditioner, and there is no way in hell I am buying a new one for her.

So they put it back in the wall. Not exactly flush, so I can pretty much expect marauding hordes of mosquitoes from now on. The Haitian will be back tomorrow to do the other things on my list. I told him I don’t do early, and he said, well, how about 10 and I nearly fainted because 10 is pretty early. We agreed on a more civilized time, and even that is going to be a stretch for me. But I will manage, if only to end the Chinese water torture of the bathroom faucet.

And so, although they showed up on time and were very pro-active about bringing in the Expert, I’m torn, Gentle Readers. The fundamental dilemma is the question, “Am I contributing to the support of a personal/political agenda that I find repellant?” I once replaced a house painter with one who charged more because Painter #1 was a racist.

Is the political personal? Is the personal political? Am I maybe over-thinking this?

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
That's why whenever someone (repair person, etc..) comes to the house, I avoid all small talk. All I really want is for them to fix the problem and go. Ask me whatever you would like about the problem I called about (what's not working, etc...) but nothing more. Maybe that sounds harsh but I truly have no interest in small talk while they are fixing whatever. For me it is uncomfortable when the conversation turns personal with someone who is there to fix/repair something.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That's why whenever someone (repair person, etc..) comes to the house, I avoid all small talk. All I really want is for them to fix the problem and go. Ask me whatever you would like about the problem I called about (what's not working, etc...) but nothing more. Maybe that sounds harsh but I truly have no interest in small talk while they are fixing whatever. For me it is uncomfortable when the conversation turns personal with someone who is there to fix/repair something.

I agree, but I find that in many cases Dominicans are lacking the filter that others have. Whatever they’re thinking....that’s what they say or ask. They love to gossip, even the men. Because Mr AE and I only speak English to one another, they assume I don’t speak or understand Spanish, so I escape a lot of that, lol.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
You know I’m encountering a lot of fascists lately. They assume that I share their political views and strike up these random conversations as though I automatically agree with their BS 100%. What? Since when do people do that? Adios, idiot. In Canada I’d pay more to avoid blatant idiot fascists. Because I personally don’t want to contribute to a fascist in any way, shape, or form so when they reveal themselves to me, the political becomes very personal.

I was always taught that starting a political conversation with strangers was in bad taste. Apparently not anymore, yuck.

However, in the DR, my question would be whether or not you can find a replacement repair person who will NOT create even more bloody headache. If you can find someone else that is recommended, ditch the idiot fascist. But if not, make the visit as short as possible and don’t call him again. Not ideal but, no more Chinese water torture? (I hope).

Last edited:

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Yes AE, they all assume I speak no Spanish. Then they are surprised I understand everything they are saying. My spouse normally will say, " Ella entiende todo lo que dices".

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I agree, but I find that in many cases Dominicans are lacking the filter that others have. Whatever they’re thinking....that’s what they say or ask. They love to gossip, even the men. Because Mr AE and I only speak English to one another, they assume I don’t speak or understand Spanish, so I escape a lot of that, lol.

This was from the Canadian.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
After a long hiatus, a Few Words.
https://meemselle.wordpress.com/

Frigid Where?

Posted on July 14, 2019 by meemselle

After two wonderful weeks on the Cape of Good Cod, visiting a sister or three, as well as various and sundry nephews, great-nephews (we’ve a familial shortage of nieces), I returned to this Dusty Whore Town I Call Home, in full readiness for sultry temperatures and a great many still-unpacked boxes from my recent move. Climate and clutter, both being highly reliable, did not disappoint.

Although I do purely love the convenience of landing in Puerto Plata, I am not quite as enamored of the 5.30 a.m. departure from Boston, as well as the mad rush—if one can truly be said to rush madly in a wheelchair—to make the connection in NYC. So I changed my ticket so that I could leave Boston at the slightly more civilized hour of 10 a.m. (which still entailed arising at an ungodly hour) so that I could snag the nonstop flight to Santiago, and then have a two hour drive over the mountain and back to Sosewage.

The flight was uneventful, except for the fact that I gave up my window seat to an extremely tall man who had the middle seat, thinking he might have more room. I am not a large person, so the middle was just fine for me, but I had not counted on exactly how large this man actually was. Mercifully, the pre-flight ingestion of a legal Massachusetts edible enabled me to fall asleep for most of the flight, so unless I snored at the decibel level of the A train coming through 81st Street (which is highly likely), everybody was happy.

Due to my immobility, I always request a wheelchair. The pushers are uniformly solicitous and occasionally amusing. But when we landed at STI, there weren’t enough of them. So once we passed through passport control, there was a phalanx of the wheelchair-bound, Meemselle among them, lined up like aircraft awaiting take-off from O’Hare, before we could get to the next step in the process: baggage pickup. As it serves me in no way to get upset or kvetchy, I pulled out my Kindle and started reading, intermittently sending texts to my taxi driver updating him on my progress, of which there was little.

Finally got my bags, laden with precious cargo from Old Navy and the kosher aisle of Trader Joe’s in Hyannis (not in the same suitcase: Regina L. OBM didn’t raise no fool), and proceeded to final paperwork drop-off and passport scrutiny. This wait had added about 45 minutes to the voyage, and I mention this as it’s important to later developments. Every Few Words are there for a reason, Darlinos.

The ever-intrepid Nelson is easy to spot, as he’s about 9 feet tall, so getting loaded into the car was pretty easy. He commented that the bags were heavy, and so I told him about Old Navy. The Santiago airport is really easy to leave, so we were on our way in no time. You can go around the mountain or over it, and Nelson is a classic Dominican driver, so we went over the mountain. I love that route, because the views are so absolutely breathtaking.

No traffic, and back at the Mango Penthouse by 5.30. Great joy and that unique feeling of relief/joy/satisfaction at being home at last. I unlocked the doors, and upon entering my apartment:

WHOA.

It happened.

Again.

My refrigerator, with a freezer containing two chickens, gefilte fish, and Rich’s Whip, was dead. Dead dead.

Holding my nose, my mouth, and my stomach in check, I pulled the decaying flesh from the freezer into the trash, tied it up, and put it outside the door. Closed the door, and washed my hands.

With super-human strength, I pulled the offending appliance away from the wall and quickly found an extension cord to plug it into a different outlet, despite the fact that I had paid an electrician a fair number of pesos to replace all of the outlets on that side in the hope of avoiding such a catastrophe.

It wasn’t the outlet. The refrigerator had blown. There were smoky marks on the back, so I guess the blessing is that it didn’t burn down the building.

Please remember that I had a suitcase full of kosher meat, that had been traveling since 6 a.m. The 4 hours at 34,000 feet were a blessing, but the wait at the airport and the drive over the mountain were not in its favor. What to do?

First, go down to the colmado and buy a bag of ice to put in the suitcase.

Then, of course, what any excitable redhead would do, and that’s to rush out, find a concho driver, and lickety-split go to Pappaterra to buy a new nevera. Of course the store was closed, so I asked the concho driver (they are often amazing in times of crisis) if there was a store open in Los Charamicos where I could buy a new one.

Off to Charamicos we sped, but the store only had big ones, and as dearly as I would have loved to have one, I know from bitter experience that it won’t make it up my very narrow and steep staircase. Mr. Concho has another idea, so we hightail it over to Los Castillos. I fly into to the store, wild-eyed, desperate, and sweaty, and ask if they have neveras.

Sí.

Do they take credit cards?

Sí.

Do they deliver?

Sí.

Within 15 minutes, I had purchased a new refrigerator that would be delivered in 30 minutes. I direct the concho driver to take me to the bank, because I knew his combined finder’s fee/transport was going to cost me, and I also knew that I was going to have to pay the delivery guys a lot of pesos to get them to lug the new appliance up the stairs and take the old gaggingly smelly one away.

I rush into the apartment, yank all the magnets off, carefully peel off my cherished Pedro Martinez commemorative #45 decal, and start hurling the contents of the coffin that is my refrigerator into the trash and moving the trash outside.

True to form, the delivery guys couldn’t find Orchidee—mostly because every Dominican pronounces it differently—so they called and I put on an orange shirt and limped down the stairs to direct them. They had overshot and were waiting at Terra Linda, so I waved them down. They had to circle the block, as even Dominican delivery guys wouldn’t back up on a busy one-way street on a Saturday evening.

I opened the gate, and got them as close to my door as possible. I reminded them that I live on the tercer nivel (third floor), and once they saw it, they did what everybody who has to walk up/move something up those stairs does. You whisper, “¡Coño!” (This word has several connotations, several being pretty filthy, but as I understand it in general use, it’s an expletive about on the level of “Holy sh*t!”)

Promising them tips beyond their wildest dreams, I limp up the stairs to open the doors. In surprisingly short shrift, the delivery guys and the precious nevera are at the door. I tape up the one reeking of putrefaction, give them each $1,000 pesos (about US$20), everybody is happy.

This is the third refrigerator I have bought in three years. Note to self: NEVAH EVAH leave ANYTHING in the fridge when going away.

Maybe three’s the charm?

Sí.