Land Beyond the Blue

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Most people here don't realize there is bull fighting in the DR.
It used to be widespread.

There are many things that don't exist anymore and yet were there for centuries, such as the open air slave market of SD which several maps from colonial times show it was a part of the Santa Bárbara area of the Colonial Zone. Now there are several buildings there and probably very few people know what was there at one time. The "merchandise" arrived at the port, walk into the city through the wall door near the Alcazár and then continue to La Negreta Street. There was a building (hardly anything left from that building too) which was known as "La Casa del Diablo" where the Africans were "stored" until they would be taken across the Isabel La Católica Street (some maps show the slave market a couple of blocks south on the same Isabel La Católica Street) one by one and completely naked to be sold. Any imperfections or mark was caused for a lower price negotiation. From research I did about this many years ago, there was a sort of stage where the Africans would stand as they were subjected to the sales process The sale process included "inspecting" the "merchandise" by the prospective buyers including opening their mouth to see the state of their teeths. Once sold they would be tsken to their owners finca or plantation in the interior or to their owner's home in a town. In all likelihood that was probably the New World's first slave market. But nowadays hardly anyone knows about if because not only are buildings occupy the area where it was, there is not a single plaque mentioning that on the wall of the facade of any of those buildings.

Last edited:

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
My favorite Spot on the entire Peninsula .
When I arrive there I feel completely Free of all of life's burdens . Truly a Magical Place .
Is El Monte Azul really Closed permanently ? that is sad news if true .
I don't know really JD, I'm not much of an outdoorsman. I think it makes a great one or two day deal. Living there was difficult to say the least. Very Stepford like. I do have to say that stretch of highway from Samana center up to Galeras is one of the most beautiful landscapes/scenery i have seen. You connect more if on a bike as opposed to car. Granted it's not the Swiss Alps, but a different kind of beauty, and i don't issue many compliments of this nature. A must see if visiting DR.

Reactions: AlaPlaya and jd426

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
OK, I get that. Is it waning? What do the under 30 crowd think of it?
I never looked into that. Judging by the sound of rooters during the night in many rural areas of for example La Vega, it appears cockfighting will continue alive and well. Most of those roosters heard in rural areas of what seems all roosters on the island decided to wake up everybody at 3am for the most part are not the ones roaming around in some people's rural home. They are behind cages such as these:

Reactions: NanSanPedro