Laptop stolen in Sosua - reward will be paid if laptop returns

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Me too DR Mpe, I know the place very well and visit it frequently when I'm there. If they are saying there were so many people sitting there, it is even more surprising. Opportunistic theives normally don't take so much risk. I believe this somehow was marked well beforehand, may be a routine for the person who seats at a particular table (with exeptionally expensive laptop etc.) or something else...

I can imagine opportunists grabbing things and run, but they have to go up a few steps inside the enclosure area and grab a latptop in front of 7/8 people with the guy typing !? Too much risk for a random hit if you ask me - then again what do I know.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The thing is he had his hand on the keyboard! That is why I think it was remarkable.
There's no doubt that it is remarkable and a brazen act.
One must always attend to one's security at any time, but the pre-Christmas season is always a riskier time of the year.
One should never leave anything of value out on a busy street terrace table, even when sitting there.
In this day and age of crackheads, daring crimes such as this are becoming more prevalent.
Let's not offer them any easy targets.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
The thing is he had his hand on the keyboard! That is why I think it was remarkable.

I find this quite remarkable as well. In Broad daylight for someone to do this with help of a moto concho also. Someone nearby could have recognized either one of them. This area usually has a lot of people in the street during the daytime too which makes it a bad choice of places for this type of crime but apparently it wasn't.

Hope your friend gets his laptop back but chances are slim. Electronics are expensive in the DR. The thief will probably get more than your friend paid for it by selling it.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I don't understand.............

Why do you need a laptop while on vacation?

........aren't we supposed to have a computer with us at all times? I have mine 24 hours a day.............sleep with it too...........and when I can't have it with me I have to have an internet phone...........

Doesn't matter whether I am working, playing or on vaca!

.............What happens if the world were to end????? How would I know?

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Not sure I get this......... so you think you will find out if the world ends on your laptop or your internet phone........ !?

From 9/11 experience, ........the first thing that goes down is the internet (or clogged up to unusable state)...... Good luck in getting knews on that day..... !

P.S. Why would you want to know ?...... would you be alive anyway ...... LOL ..... nice one .....

catch

Apr 25, 2007
I was the person spoken of at britannia yesterday on my laptop. thanks for the heads up ,today , now I am back in the corner working away. thanks dr1 another lesson learned

N

naturelover

consider your wrists slapped and sent to the naughty step....id say tie yourself to it but you dont want to be dragged off by a motorconcho

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip:

Read what you quoted!
Catch was NOT the OP.
tambo'

I thought I did that, after all the OP stated:

Today a guy stole my friends laptop

and this other fellow stated,

I was the person spoken of at britannia yesterday

what did you say your first language was again 'tambo?? :):):)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Some folks wouldn't be able to take vacations if they weren't able to bring thier laptops.
To wonder why they bring them is absurd.............

I question the same thing. Believe it or not but there are Internet Cafes all over the DR. Just me, but I only need to check my email while in the DR. I have finally tuned that down to just text messages on my cheap cell phone. I am in the DR to have a nice time, not to be worried about where is my laptop. Oh, my laptop ,,,,,,,,,,, my link to life!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Chip, 'Catch' did not lose his computer. Some other fellow did - DR Mpe's friend.

'Catch' by the looks of things, was sitting outside at the Brittania bar with his laptop in full view. Some other poster mentioned that he saw 'someone' at the Brittania bar with a laptop in full view...

Wow .. Clear?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I question the same thing. Believe it or not but there are Internet Cafes all over the DR. Just me, but I only need to check my email while in the DR. I have finally tuned that down to just text messages on my cheap cell phone. I am in the DR to have a nice time, not to be worried about where is my laptop. Oh, my laptop ,,,,,,,,,,, my link to life!
I'm afraid you misunderstood what I wrote.
I said to wonder why they bring them is absurd, not to bring them is absurd.
There are folks who make their living on the net and cannot possibly be without their own puters with their own programs with a good internet connection for X amount of hours everyday.
Some folks have to trade on the market, others like myself while abroad, need to be in contact with my biz.
Whatever the case may be, it is quite normal and common for some folks to have to bring thier latops, or they would not be able to leave home.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm afraid you misunderstood what I wrote.
I said to wonder why they bring them is absurd, not to bring them is absurd.
There are folks who make their living on the net and cannot possibly be without their own puters with their own programs with a good internet connection for X amount of hours everyday.
Some folks have to trade on the market, others like myself while abroad, need to be in contact with my biz.
Whatever the case may be, it is quite normal and common for some folks to have to bring thier latops, or they would not be able to leave home.
You forgot the hopelessly addicted.:eek:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Chip, 'Catch' did not lose his computer. Some other fellow did - DR Mpe's friend.

'Catch' by the looks of things, was sitting outside at the Brittania bar with his laptop in full view. Some other poster mentioned that he saw 'someone' at the Brittania bar with a laptop in full view...

Chris--sounds like you might have done some work grading reading comp101 in your previous life.
john

Last edited by a moderator: