Las Galeras vs Las Terrenas

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
a friend of mine is thinking of visiting one or both for a week or 2 and figured i would ask for opinions as the the best and worst of each one. thanking all in advance.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
When it's for the first time he visit so split the time and do both of them. Las Terrenas is bigger than Las Galeras,so you have more options like Restaurants, Supermarkets, Shops etc.
Allso from LT you can explore various beaches like Playa Bonita,Playa Coson, Portillo and when rent a car go to Playa Moron or to the Salto Limon
LG is way more calmer,but has very nice beaches too, like La Playita or Playa Rincon. You can explore many small beaches by a walk from the town of LG to the Rincon Beach, ask the locals who does this tour. You can take a boat fromthe beach in LG and explore the lonley beaches of Playa Madame and Playa Fronton.
There are many more things to explore on the Samana Island, but with only visiting the areas I recommend above you need more time then a week.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
LT hands down. LG is very limited on so many options. If QUIET , and I do mean QUIET is what you desire than perhaps LG. I LOVE quiet and do covet it on vacation but not LG quiet. Dining and shopping options are so limited.
When we were there the entire town went 5 days without ice!!!
My wife requires ice in every beverage aside from coffee and vino tainto. First world problems , I know.........

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
My opinion:
Las Terrenas feels straight barrio with all the people people and the way they act.
Las Galeras is way more sophisticated.
So if your focus is on stuff then Las Terrenas is the way to go.
If you are focused on quality of life, Las Galeras, blows the doors off Las Terrenas going away to the finish line.

As you can see, it comes down to personal preferences.
Someone who has never been to either place will not know unless they visit both.
Two days & Two days
Then spend the rest of the time in the place you like best.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
stayed couple days in LT, was ok, I planned Samana next, never went b4. I did not know about LG until this thread. The road to LG goes thru Samana. LG sounds perfect. And short drive from Samana.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My opinion:
Las Terrenas feels straight barrio with all the people people and the way they act.
Las Galeras is way more sophisticated.
So if your focus is on stuff then Las Terrenas is the way to go.
If you are focused on quality of life, Las Galeras, blows the doors off Las Terrenas going away to the finish line.

As you can see, it comes down to personal preferences.
Someone who has never been to either place will not know unless they visit both.
Two days & Two days
Then spend the rest of the time in the place you like best.
Too many ATV's and dust in the air in Las Terrenas but more choices for eating and better selection of beaches. Las Galeras - spent my honeymoon there at Villa Serena, more relaxing place than Las Terrenas. I like both places.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I really cant pick a Favorite , Love both Places for very different Reasons , depending on what type of Vacation you want that week .
Everyone posting pretty much covered it all already .
if it were Semana Santa Week, I would pick LT hands down . Its The wildest Place on the whole Island, IMO ..
Any other time its pretty chill, and very spread out, but it can be a little dangerous if you not careful . you can find places to dance and Drink in LT for sure .

LG is very laid back, more Family or Romantic .
If you want a nice AI Experience , Grand Paradise, in LG is pretty good, but only go as a Couple/ with Novia .. Not for singles really but there are some ..they even have Shows .. I guess its really for older folks. the Europeans and Canadians Love it , Some funny sheit goes down in their Little Disco at night sometimes . so if you wan to completely decompress and meet some other nice people/ couples , and more importantly use it as a Homebase and a safe spot to Park your Car in their Big Lot . and then go see the nice nearby beaches as Half Day trips, catch an Early Breakfast so you only will miss Lunch .

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Las Galeras and Las Terrenas are two VERY different places and I enjoy both. I have lived outside of Las Terrenas (3 miles) for almost 7 years and in all honesty, don't think I could live 'in' the main town.

Las Galeras is very quiet with very limited resources. No large supermarket, one gas station, small ferreterias which all mean you need to travel to at least Samana for many things. Many people do a monthly shop in the supermarkets of LT!
But it has some gorgeous beaches, is quiet, some nice bars but can be very, very quiet in the off season.
For me a place to day trip, maybe overnight in.

Las Terrenas is much busier. Now has three large supermarkets, lots of ferreterias, lots of resources and unfortunately, a shite load of building going on so lots of dust and big MAC trucks which are a right royal PITA.
I go into town when I need to, but generally stay on the outskirts.
There are lots of places to eat in and around LT and lots of nice beaches and hidden spots and lots of night life.
That said, its also busy as hell with internal tourism on big holidays (lots of expats leave LT for Semana Santa!!!).
From LT, 30 mins will get you to some varied beaches on both side of the Samana Penisular (Los Robalos is gorgeous).

So it's down to personal choice and what you really want.
IMHO, if you want to be surrounded by a large Expat community, then LT is a better choice. If you like peace and solitude, Las Galeras.

Oh and a last thought, if you have kids, LT has the better schools.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I think it also depends on the time of year. Last spring/summer was nice in Las Galeras, with minimal/no seaweed. By September you could not access the beaches because there was so much seaweed floating in the water. I've never found Las Terrenas to have as much of a problem with seaweed.