Las Terranas 14 Day Report

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Got it :ermm: .
Mods can delelte my previous two posts while I encontered technical problems of my own doing.
Please also kill this post.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Yanandu, buenos dias......neat shots ! I tried to pose a question for you yesterday and you missed it.
Can you help me with some silly info ?

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Day 5 And Day 6

Day 5 And Day 6

Day 5 was awesome. The front desk arranged to have a quad delivered to the Colibri.
30 minutes from time of order we had our quad. In typical DR fashion we had to drive the delivery guy back to the office in LT and do "paperwork".
All this was fine. The one thing I had a big issue with was that they insisted that I leave my passport in their rinky dink office until the quad was returned.
I was very uneasy with this but did it.
Heck, the worst thing that can happen is that I am not allowed back into Canada :glasses:

We paid $50 US and we were off to explore. We asked several times how much gas was in the quad and the response was, "you are good for the day, no worries".
We spent the next 2 hours touring to the east. We stayed along the ocean to keep our bearings as we did not have any maps etc.
Sometime early into hour two the quad died! Oh no!!!
I opened the gas tank and it was bone dry. I guess the dumb tourists got hosed on this one.
Luckily there was a guy not too far down the road selling gas in beer bottles.
I had never seen this before but I was happy to see him.
I bought a grande bottle of Brahma that was actually filled with gas.
This was 50 RD.
We dumped and it and magic. We are touring again :glasses:
Not long after we got going I stopped at a house that had plastic jugs of gas outside and filled the quad with another 400 RD of gas at this make shift gas station.
We toured the entire day. About 5 PM we went to a secluded part of Playa Las Belleenas down buy the sailing club. I managed a siesta there after our stressfull ;) day of touring along the beautiful coastline.

We took the quad into LT last night and had dinner at the play pizzeria.
Dinner was great.
A chicken schnitizel , mushroom chicken , appetizer and a few drinks was another 50 US.

All in all a fantastic day.

Today we did almost nothing and it was great.

We took the quad into town and picked up a few groceries around 9 AM.
We are starting to drive like Dominicans now :squareeye
At 10 AM I had the hotel call the quad company to pick up their machine and return my passport.
Boy was I releived to see that come back!!

From there we hit the beach for a full day of sun etc.

Awesome vacation thus far and I must say the staff at Colibri are great.

They are the best of any hotel in the carribean that we have been too.
Granted it is a small resort, thus a little more intimate.
For anyone looking for a low key vacation this is the place to be IMO.

I had loosely budgeted contributing about $100 US per day to the DR economy (and my waist line :ermm:) per day + lodging and so far we are in the ballpark though I don't track it that closely.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Aside from the passport, did you have any problem with the quad rental, eg, credit cards, deposit, etc?

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Great report so far. Went to LT last year for the first time. It was only a day trip. What a beautiful beach town. Will definetly have to spend some more time there.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Aside from the passport, did you have any problem with the quad rental, eg, credit cards, deposit, etc?

No problems at all aside from the lack of gas in it.
I don't use a credit card here aside from the hotel payment. I leave the card in the vault ( I gues it's just a safe. I don't have enough money for a vault ;) )the entire time.
I just had to pay the $50 US up front for the 24 hour period and leave my passport behind.
I was a little uneasy as there was clearly damage to the quad when we picked it up. The headlight lenses were smashed and the transmission clearly had some issue. My fear was that they would scam me for this damage that was there when I picked up the quad,and hold my passport randsom.
Thankfully my fears were totally unfounded.
The hotel uses the same quad company all the time and I am sure the company does not want to slay the golden goose that provides a lot of referals.
To be safe next time though I will likely take a few pictures of the quad before getting on in case my worst fear ever comes to fruition.
I will definitely be renting one again next week for a day or two. It was just TOO much fun not to.

Gordo

Mar 16, 2003
Great report Rumble! For your next rental consider getting a side by side quad. It will cost you an extra 25 bucks but you will be riding in style and your wife will love it. Just watch out for that 1way after having a few cocktails! LT is one of our favorite DR destinations and your vacationing style sounds hauntingly familiar to ours. Enjoy!
Gordo

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Great Food

Not a lot to post in the past few days. Just a lot of sun and fun in LT:glasses:
We have now had meals in a little plce in LT a few times.
It is named the Don Yvone. I am not sure if it is French Canadian owned or French owned.
At any rate it reallt doe not matter.
We had bruscetta for lunch on Saturday. For 80 RD we received enough for both of us. It was prepared right in front of us in a simple kitchen and was delicious.
At this point we knew we would be back again.
Today about 4 PM we stopped in for 2 Presidente , 2 cuba libre , 1 bruscetta and one pizza americana (to go). The cost was $21 US. Outstanding value in my opinion. Everything was great once again.
This place is about 100m or 109 yds from the Scotia Bank for anyone that wants to try it.
The Don Yvone is not fine dining by any means but is the best value we have found in LT thus far. We will be back.

YouTube - 079

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Today again was quiet. Had to VPN into work for a few hours which is a vacation mood killer :ermm:

We were about to head back to the room around 6 PM and have more of the Don Yvone pizza as it was so good last night.

As luck would have it 3 young guys in a small fishing boat rolled in. I had seen them head out to sea about 8:30AM as I was drinking my morning coffee.

I wandered over to look at the catch and spotted a 7 lb crab.
We bought if for 700 RD. Dinner plans have changed :glasses:

We tipped the guy chopping it up 100 RD. I did not notice until I watched this clip that he stole some of our crab :squareeye .

Oh well , we had enough.

The crab was DELICIOUS

YouTube - 024.AVI

Tomorrow we are off to El Limon.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
A suggestion

Hi:

Don't bring a lot of cash to exchange. Use a bank debit card at the ATMs in town to acess pesos. It is a much easier process.

S

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
No problems at all aside from the lack of gas in it.
I don't use a credit card here aside from the hotel payment. I leave the card in the vault ( I gues it's just a safe. I don't have enough money for a vault ;) )the entire time.
I just had to pay the $50 US up front for the 24 hour period and leave my passport behind.
I was a little uneasy as there was clearly damage to the quad when we picked it up. The headlight lenses were smashed and the transmission clearly had some issue. My fear was that they would scam me for this damage that was there when I picked up the quad,and hold my passport randsom.
TOO much fun not to.

Good to see the quad rental place has a longstanding relationship with the hotel, but I would never leave my passport with them. A copy maybe.

Imagine if you road the quad into town and when you left some bar after a few beers noticed the quad was "stolen". The owners of the rental company can do that easily. . . . they have the keys;-)

Now you have to pay to "replace" the quad. . . . and they have your passport. Great scam to try on tourists.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Equally dishonest tourists come and loan quads; They disappear and the quad is broken up. Best to have a separate chain if you are worried. But I'm sure a reputable rental company could 'steel back' a quad once ; but if they made a habit of it they would be caught and loose business quickly. My experience is that they don't loose passports.
Yanandu

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
I never did finish my trip report as I settled into vacation mode by week 2 and got lazy
Our two week LT vacation was AWESOME. Great hotel,great weather,great beaches,great food and drink and best of all, great Dominican people.
For others trying to work on a budget our hotel which had two bedrooms, one bathroom ,a combined kitchen / sitting room and a huge balcony overlooking the ocean was $93 US tax included per night. We basically lived on the balcony at night.

We had loosely budgeted $100 US / day for everything else. This included renting a ATV for a day, taking a taxi to El Limon,Hiring horses and guides to the falls, taxi to and from the El Catey airport which is $70 US each way.
We ate out at lunch almost every day on the beach or elsewhere. We ate about 50% of dinners in our room on the large ocean front balcony. We would just buy a fish or crab on the beach (still alive).
We bought "most" alcohol at the super market but did buy quite a few Presidente's at local beach front watering holes.

Amazingly, without a lot of financial planning we spent exactly $1400 (not including hotel) or $100 per day. Right on budget.
Some days we spent $150 and some days we spent $50. We were on vacation so I did not scrimp and I would have happily exceeded the $100 if I felt it would make for a better vacation. It was not necessary.

I expect if you are into night clubs etc. That $100 would not be sufficient.

To wrap it up we loved LT and will hopefully go back some day