Laser Eye Surgery in the Dominican Republic

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Suing doctors....research the Cook Islands.
Any doctor worth his salt has a trust there... unassailable

Denise Rich is there too.

Check out the recent NYTimes article.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I just promote what "EYE" would do, and, "DoDo", when I need anything other than emergency proceedures done.
I have a GREAT Dominican Cardiologist,. Dr.Pedro Urena, here in SD.
He is also a USA Board certified Cardiologist.
I know many great Dominican Doctors here.
I'm not worried about them, it's the complete lack of nursing, and technical staff that worry me!!!!
THEY, Don't "Wash Their Hands", or have any knowledge of aseptic measures.
The surgery doesn't usually kill you, the "Recovery", if there is one, might!
If you have the time, and the means, go to a "First World" medical center.
At least you have two eyes, so you have a 50/50 chance of being able to see after your procedure!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Agree! I had the misfortune 2 years ago, got an amoeba or something and was so bad I spent 5 days in ECU in Hospiten, which is one of the best hospitals... I recall waking up to a nurse attempting to take my blood after she just cleaned bad pans from the neighbor, I watched close, no hand wash nor did she change the rubber gloves, I stopped her of course. After leaving I slowly recovered but developed a hacking cough every now and again. I recently found this summer the cough was from pneumonia. What a coincidence! Nurses and muchachas come from the same union hall here.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I had two cataracts removed and replaced with multi focus lenses two years ago at Laser Centre in SD. I am well pleased with them and the Centre's 6 monthly check -ups. I would not hesitate to recommend the Centre without reservation. I can't remember the cost now but I do remember believing that it was very reasonable and very much cheaper than private surgery in the UK.

Dec 24, 2012
I had two cataracts removed and replaced with multi focus lenses two years ago at Laser Centre in SD. I am well pleased with them and the Centre's 6 monthly check -ups. I would not hesitate to recommend the Centre without reservation. I can't remember the cost now but I do remember believing that it was very reasonable and very much cheaper than private surgery in the UK.

Who did the surgery on you? Was it the head doctor or someone else?

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Wow! This thread came right on time! My mom wants to have her cataracts fixed in Santiago...I tell her to have it done in Miami....there are quite a few docs that are very good.....

But they've been doing Lasik in Santiago for years, I haven't heard nothing bad about it in Santiago..as long as you go by recomendation by somebody who's had it done!

Any recomendations?

Jan 17, 2009
I had cataracts surgery with Dr. Asilis (son) in Santiago two years ago. I went to see him at HOMS, and took me a while to get convinced to do it in his Bonilla clinic. I was really impressed with him and his father, as well as the clinic. I had one eye done and I'm now ready to go back for my left eye. Unfortunately, what was bothering were long strays of light at night when driving, and that problem wasn't solved with the cataracts surgery (that had been recommended by a US doctor).

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I agree with CC. Why take the risk. In the States they do 10s of thousands. Should the rare complication arise they are better trained and equipped to handle it. Yes ,you can always find a cheaper option here, but if you are a U.S citizen your insurance will almost always cover it.
In Florida there are many clinics that will probably work with you on the price to a degree.