Latino in America- debut Oct 21, 2009 on CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Latino in America premiers tomorrow on CNN. It will be in both languages- English and Spanish. It definitely peaks my interest and it will be interesting to see what the focus will be. Latinos being a group that has emerged and continues to become an important socio-ethnic group, IMO, has changed and will continue to transform the shape of America. What's interesting is Latinos in USA can't be grouped all in one. The struggle has been different for many nationalities i.e. Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Mexicans, Dominicans and so on.

Last night on CNN en espa?ol, they interviewed Junot D?az, Dominican Pulitzer prize winner for his novel, The brief wondrous life of Oscar Wao (which I still would like to read) and it was the first time I heard him speak in Spanish. It was quite interesting because he does not sound Dominican at all and he commented that when one comes to the USA at a young age one loses his/her language (I think he was referring to himself specifically), culture and it's a struggle to adapt for many.

Soledad O'Brien is the host and here is a brief synopsis:

PREMIERES OCTOBER 21 & 22 | 9P ET
By 2050, the U.S. Latino population is expected to nearly triple. This October, CNN's Soledad O'Brien explores how Latinos are reshaping our communities and culture and forcing a nation of immigrants to rediscover what it means to be an American.

Latino in America - CNN.com

If you are interested tune in.

-Marianopolita.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
have had blacks in america\
now Latinos in america
have had stories on muslim, christian jewish warriors
when will the be a whites in america, guess they have to wait until they are minority? which has already happend in some states.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Self segregation or a valid issue to consider? Are Latinos in the US, not accepted, or are they not willing to adapt, integrate or associate with the larger American community, therefore making it necessary to have these types of focused shows? I'd argue, at least in an academic sense, the latter.

Look at Dominicans in the US over the last four generations. An unwillingness to fully integrate to the overall American landscape has had horrific effects on the development of this community in the US. It is fascinating.

I am still surprised at the fact that the children of Dominicans, who don't speak Spanish, have never been to the DR, have little cultural resemblance to their Dominican counterparts, or have no clue what being "Dominican" might be all about, yet they wave the Dominican flag as if it the only flag they have ever known.

I am still baffled by the fact that the idea of "America" and "American" are pushed aside, and where your differences serve as dividers and not unifiers.

Divide and conquer. But who is dividing?

Mr. Lu

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Self segregation or a valid issue to consider? Are Latinos in the US, not accepted, or are they not willing to adapt, integrate or associate with the larger American community, therefore making it necessary to have these types of focused shows? I'd argue, at least in an academic sense, the latter.

Look at Dominicans in the US over the last four generations. An unwillingness to fully integrate to the overall American landscape has had horrific effects on the development of this community in the US. It is fascinating.

I am still surprised at the fact that the children of Dominicans, who don't speak Spanish, have never been to the DR, have little cultural resemblance to their Dominican counterparts, or have no clue what being "Dominican" might be all about, yet they wave the Dominican flag as if it the only flag they have ever known.

I am still baffled by the fact that the idea of "America" and "American" are pushed aside, and where your differences serve as dividers and not unifiers.

Divide and conquer. But who is dividing?

Mr. Lu

I would agree with Mr. Lu as far as the none assimilation. I mean sure you have had areas in the larger cities, where the new immigrates settled but all of them Irish, Italians, Greek, etc moved out and assimilated into the larger community.

This has not really happened with the Latinos, whether your taking about NYC or small towns in the Midwest, they tend to group. and stay in the same area. Not all but a significant percentage. Plus they seem to be ones doing all the flag waving.

I have never seen the German community in Indiana for instance during Oktoberfest waving the German Flag. They celebrate their heritage and have a good time and it's over. Same for the Greek community in Tarpon Springs Fla.

The group that has really separated themselves in larger cities "including here" are the Asians, and then primarily the Chinese. but they still assimilate into the larger community. But they do normally have an area of china town.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Sounds interesting, I plan on checking it out. I was just reading this article on cnn.com today:

Trapped between worlds, some Latina teens consider suicide - CNN.com

The girl featured in the story is a 15-year old Dominican girl who tried to commit suicide because of issues with her mom and cultural adaptation.

This has more to do with regular teen angst and social development, than that of cultural transition. I'd like to see the actual study and it's relation to male suicide rates, and the rate of suicide attempts among other cultural enclaves. That would make this study complete.

All cultural groups have their transition periods, cultural clashes and "fish out of water syndrome," but when does that supersede the natural cycles of life? Mothers and daughters will always argue, its a rite of passage, you can argue.

I still don't understand, Latino in America, as opposed to just being American.

Mr. Lu

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Wait for the show...

I still don't understand, Latino in America, as opposed to just being American.
Mr. Lu

The show airs tonight for two nights and as I mentioned in my opening post I am interested to know what the focus will be. A pre discussion in the thread is okay but it's not really based on what CNN has showed. I am waiting to see what it's all about and maybe some of my questions will be answered.

-Marianopolita.

Status
Not open for further replies.