Lawyer recommendation in Santo Domingo

rum-n-lime

Aug 8, 2013
I apologize if this is a redundant thread but... I've searched and found only very old posts on the subject. The thing is that coming to DR with a US experience in dealing with US lawyers I am bewildered and shocked by performance (or rather total lack of such) of representatives of this profession in DR. I've been cheated, lied to, rubbed of money, ignored for 2 weeks despite many attempts to communicate, dumped after expressing displeasure at their performance by licensed abogados. The latest one I'm dealing with now treats me like a nuisance - gives me run arounds while stalling for time, answers my every other call, every tenth email and every 50-th text message. But he doesn't steal and doesn't run. I met other lawyers - with fancy (read: very expensive) offices, secretaries and prices in the sky ($5,000 usd to form a company). And even one of this - after I paid him ($100 usd for a 30 minute consultation) didn't care to follow up with an email and answer a question he could not during our meeting. I was wondering if this is really the best deal one can have in DR with a lawyer.
Can someone recommend a decent lawyer in SD that you've had business with?
Muchas gracias for attention to my post!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fabio Guzman, the lawyer that answers questions on DR1, has an office in Santo Domingo. You can trust them. CC has posted a couple of times about his very positive experiences with them, you can send a PM to him.

But I have no hesitancy recommending the firm of Fabio Guzman. The Sosua office is where I do my legal business and if I were in SD the office there is the one I would use.

They specialize in dealing with foreign clients, both individuals and corporations.

rum-n-lime

Aug 8, 2013
Fabio Guzman, the lawyer that answers questions on DR1, has an office in Santo Domingo. You can trust them. CC has posted a couple of times about his very positive experiences with them, you can send a PM to him.

But I have no hesitancy recommending the firm of Fabio Guzman. The Sosua office is where I do my legal business and if I were in SD the office there is the one I would use.

They specialize in dealing with foreign clients, both individuals and corporations.

Thank you, Ken!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
We have been using them for over 10 years in the Sosua office. NO complaints.

You have to understand that the law and how things get done in the D.R. are different then most other places. Most lawyers here don't understand the clients' "need to know and share" as done in most other Countries. It took awhile to get the two way communications up and going from them in the beginning. Now we have no problems.

Oh. The 10 years has been working on ONE case that we hope will be finished in the next year... or so. Of course we have used them for other minor situations that required legal expertise and most finished rather quickly.... for down here. lol.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Here another one in case you want some choices.

Rodrguez Investing & Consulting - Consultores Migratorios, Legales y Financieros. Asesora a corporaciones e individuos en el cumplimiento de las normas regulatorias de inmigracin en la Republica Dominicana y el exterior, y en general, en todas las re

I use this one for over 15 years with no complaints.

I apologize if this is a redundant thread but... I've searched and found only very old posts on the subject. The thing is that coming to DR with a US experience in dealing with US lawyers I am bewildered and shocked by performance (or rather total lack of such) of representatives of this profession in DR. I've been cheated, lied to, rubbed of money, ignored for 2 weeks despite many attempts to communicate, dumped after expressing displeasure at their performance by licensed abogados. The latest one I'm dealing with now treats me like a nuisance - gives me run arounds while stalling for time, answers my every other call, every tenth email and every 50-th text message. But he doesn't steal and doesn't run. I met other lawyers - with fancy (read: very expensive) offices, secretaries and prices in the sky ($5,000 usd to form a company). And even one of this - after I paid him ($100 usd for a 30 minute consultation) didn't care to follow up with an email and answer a question he could not during our meeting. I was wondering if this is really the best deal one can have in DR with a lawyer.
Can someone recommend a decent lawyer in SD that you've had business with?
Muchas gracias for attention to my post!

rum-n-lime

Aug 8, 2013
Thank you, fellas, for your support! I thoroughly read every one of your replys appreciate every single one.