Lawyer Suggestion?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you drive, you should always have a good attorneys number on hand. Nothing really sinister there. Also, once you know the DR. You know even being the victim of a crime you better have a good lawyers number ready to go.

If that is the thought of the original post than maybe coming to the DR on vacation is not for you.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It's a fact that travelling to some places is more of a risk than going to other places. Much depends on what you plan to do in the foreign country. It would be a reasonable assumption that staying at an AI resort somewhere would present less personal risk than living out on the economy, driving yourself hither and fro, and potentially rubbing shoulders with less than savory locals in an uncontrolled environment.

I don't fault people for seeking out information to determine if what they wish to do in an unfamiliar country is beyond their comfort level. In fact, I think doing so is a must. So yes, one's research could very well result in the conclusion that <insert country here> is not the best place to be doing what they they would like to.

Driving in this country is a greater risk than elsewhere. That's just a fact and the current realty. Foreigners who get into trouble here, often experience far more than they ever bargained for. That too is just the reality.

So yes, traveling anywhere in the developing world can be problematic as can be the case in more developed countries, such as China, Russia, most of the Middle East, and even Chicago or Camden NJ.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Tropical Paul,

Thank you. A car accident is our only concern. Are these gentlemen in Las Terrenas?

Based on what mountainannie posted about the bulk of Las Terrenas lawyers, they are probably located elsewhere.

I would appreciate there address and phone number info if you have it.

Check your contract on the car rental carefully. I have not lived in LT for many years but when I was there the only car rental firms were local and had a $1500 deductible - there was no way that you could buy insurance for that. If the international firms - such as Enterprise are there now? then you can buy complete insurance.. (or use your Amex card if you take the drivers' insurance option - which will at least insure the car for damage). You might just check at the Catey airport.

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
It's a fact that travelling to some places is more of a risk than going to other places. Much depends on what you plan to do in the foreign country. It would be a reasonable assumption that staying at an AI resort somewhere would present less personal risk than living out on the economy, driving yourself hither and fro, and potentially rubbing shoulders with less than savory locals in an uncontrolled environment.

I don't fault people for seeking out information to determine if what they wish to do in an unfamiliar country is beyond their comfort level. In fact, I think doing so is a must. So yes, one's research could very well result in the conclusion that <insert country here> is not the best place to be doing what they they would like to.

Driving in this country is a greater risk than elsewhere. That's just a fact and the current realty. Foreigners who get into trouble here, often experience far more than they ever bargained for. That too is just the reality.

So yes, traveling anywhere in the developing world can be problematic as can be the case in more developed countries, such as China, Russia, most of the Middle East, and even Chicago or Camden NJ.

Thank you.

:)

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Thanks for your concern.

For the reasons you have mentioned and more, we are renting from Avis in Las Terrenas. Our quote includes "Full" insurance.
Better to be safe than sorry.

:)

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Tropical Paul,

Thank you. A car accident is our only concern. Are these gentlemen in Las Terrenas?

Based on what mountainannie posted about the bulk of Las Terrenas lawyers, they are probably located elsewhere.

I would appreciate there address and phone number info if you have it.

No, they are in Santo Domingo. Almost everything is based in Santo Domingo on this island. They are really heavyweight lawyers, you would only use them for a serious case - for example a drunk kid on a motorbike swerves in front of your car and you kill him. If that happened then you would automatically get locked up and getting a powerful Dominican to represent you would be advisable as they would have the connections and the reputation to get a quick resolution. And whilst Guzman Ariza would be a good choice for a house purchase or a visa, I don't think they would be right in this circumstance.

Dr Mejia Ricart's office is 809 476 7474 and website is http://www.mejiaricart.com. Hopefully you will never need to call, but I completely agree it's sensible to have that type of number to hand. Bear in mind that if you are arrested you will have your phone taken away, so it's a good idea to give these numbers to someone who can access it in case of emergency. Also make a note of the 24 hour number for your embassy. And always drive with a photocopy of your passport, the photo page and the page with the stamp showing when you entered the country.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
If that is the thought of the original post than maybe coming to the DR on vacation is not for you.

Steve I don't agree with you on this one. When you think about people that have come here on vacation and something has gone seriously wrong, 90% of the time things have become a lot worse for them because they fell prey to some unscrupulous lawyer or complete idiot who said they could help them. There is a very real risk that anyone driving on these roads could kill someone, and it's very sensible to have some contact numbers just in case the unthinkable did happen.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Steve I don't agree with you on this one. When you think about people that have come here on vacation and something has gone seriously wrong, 90% of the time things have become a lot worse for them because they fell prey to some unscrupulous lawyer or complete idiot who said they could help them. There is a very real risk that anyone driving on these roads could kill someone, and it's very sensible to have some contact numbers just in case the unthinkable did happen.

Maybe you are right. I guess from my own experience. I lived in the DR for 7 months of the year for about 5 years straight and never once thought I need a personal lawyer until I decided to sell my condo. I owned a car and drove all over the Samana Peninsula and to SD and back many times. That's just my take. Maybe things have gotten a little crazier since I owned in LT.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
There are 3 lawyers you can hire....

Guzman, Guzman or Guzman

Hi Everyone!

One and a half weeks until our trip to Las Terrenas!

Would any one be able to provide the name and phone number of a lawyer, on the off chance (boy I hope not) that we end up needing one?

I used to be a Girl Guide and our motto was "Be Prepared", lol.

Dawn

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Maybe you are right. I guess from my own experience. I lived in the DR for 7 months of the year for about 5 years straight and never once thought I need a personal lawyer until I decided to sell my condo. I owned a car and drove all over the Samana Peninsula and to SD and back many times. That's just my take. Maybe things have gotten a little crazier since I owned in LT.

We’re you a resident LT.... or outside the legal limit for those months?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We’re you a resident LT.... or outside the legal limit for those months?

I never got my residency. I was in the process when I sold my condo. Your average tourist does not need to have the name of an attorney unless they really think coming to the DR is problematic.

Scott18684

Jun 10, 2018
mountainannie,

Thank you so much. You are a wealth of information. As I just finished explaining to some other message board contributors, we would only need a lawyer if we were involved in a car accident.

I will definitely seek out your friend if we need to.

Dawn

Who worries about getting an attorney if you get in a car accident on VACATIONlol wow can’t even go on vacation and relax anymore

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think the OP is pretty smart in getting the name of an attorney just in case. This isn't Kansas - and a car accident isn't the only the bad thing that might happen to you here that might require an attorney.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
mountainannie,

Thank you so much. You are a wealth of information. As I just finished explaining to some other message board contributors, we would only need a lawyer if we were involved in a car accident.

I will definitely seek out your friend if we need to.

Dawn

You are a good sport Dawn for putting up with all these silly hecklers. it's smart to have the number handy in order to get out of trouble. In DR, you are guilty first and will be jailed without charges until whenever.