Lawyers for Non-profit

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
S,

There are as many different do's and don't as there are NPO/NGO's and some people did everything right and failed and some have done things all wrong and succeeded after fits and restarts.

The biggest asset you have in your attempts to start an NPO are your passion for what it is that you're trying to accomplish. There's loads of templates and ideas (free) for business plans and tere's even free expert help for review and recommendations so you really don't need to overthink the nuts and bolts of the creation process. I also don't think you'll need to look too far for patrons. You are starting this effort in a field in which you have worked for years. You already have a network of contacts and the same people who sit on the boards of hospitals and medical colleges know many of the same people with whom you've been working for years. These people understand that passion is an indicator for dedication and that you know what you're doing when it comes down to the core purpose of your organization. That is the strength of the organization you are trying to put together.

Staring an NGO

How to start a successful NGO in 10 steps | Matador Network

starting a NPO: founder's requirements

Starting up an NPO | The Beehive - Durban

Info: Starting a NPO
Passion may get attention but it is no substitute for a plan that shows sustainability without having to spend most of her time begging for money.

My suggetion, once again because of her lack of experience in building a business (which is what an NPO is) would be to find an EXPERIENCED business person to partner with to be the champion. Do not try to do it all. Play to your strengths, admit your weakness and find folks that complement your weaknesses.

Jan 9, 2004
And put RICH GUYS on your board! Prolly THE most important point...IF you want to be economically viable.

And/or find/hire a grant writer.....they are (the good ones) literally worth their weight in gold.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
And/or find/hire a grant writer.....they are (the good ones) literally worth their weight in gold.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I know of one, we may hire her but she works a register full-time job so I don't know how much time she may have.

SHALENA

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The form of a business plan is inconsequential. It's the fundamental concept and it's execution as backed by realistic proforma financials that matter.

Pros know the difference and amateurs scratch their head wondering what happened...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
There is a huge price difference among attorneys throughout the US, based on experience.

In starting a non-profit, you may not necessarily need an attorney. I'm assuming that most of the US work will be fundraising and collection of donated items, which will then be shipped to the DR.

Hints: I have seen other people start non-profits, and they form a board of directors of people with diverse professional talents and with big hearts. Then, an attorney and/or CPA on the board can donate their time and services and get a tax deduction. Also, federal regulations mandate that banks have to donate to charity, and so a bank vice-president for community relations loves serving on such a board. Google "non-profit assistance" and you will find lots of helpful hints.

And can write your business plan.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Ummmm.....so the business plans have LONG financial areas and I right now all we can do is put in an expected financial budget. I signed up for a conference from the American Association of Birth Centers on "How to open a Birth Center", the conference is Almonte $500 and I'm now wondering if its worth it due to the fact that it caters to BIG centers and ones in the US. Still don't know. So I guess we need to estimate how the finances will be.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Speaking of expected finances, what are monthly pay rates for the following employees
RECEPCIONISTA: This person would answer phones, answering questions from women about the BC, fielding triage questions to the appropriate Midwife. Greet and Check in patients, collect fees (we will have a sliding scale fee process, also there will be no set fees as the Midwives will determine each case individually, as we will not turn away women for inability to pay). Receptionist will retrieve and replace patient charts. Give patients "next scheduled appt" cards and basically maintain order in the waiting room.
We would like this position to go to a woman who may not have been otherwise able to secure employment on this area. In other words, someone in less than middle class status. We are committed to offering guidance and opportunities to the women that are "looked over". Even though this is the case, we would like the woman to be well spoken (not perfect castillian Spanish, we don't expect or want that. But someone who will at least say "Como le puedo ayudar?" instead of "Que tu quieres??"), be able to read and write correctly in Spanish (if there is a misspelled word or two, that's ok, mainly she will be writing patient's names and dates for appts), be professionally presentable (for the RIGHT person, we will buy them 3 outfits to wear to work as we know that for the type of person we are looking for this type of upfront cost may be impossible.) And basically that's it. We would like to give someone a chance who may not have had the opportunity to go to college but has the drive and the ability to do a good job. The work hours will be Mon-Fri 7:30am-5:30pm, with lunch hours from 12p-2p (we will not book appts between 12-2)
What is monthly RD pay for this?

MUJER PARA LA LIMPIEZA: This person will do the general cleaning of the Birth Center, this person will be in charge of refreshments also, offering patents and their children coffee, tea, or juice and returning to retrieve any empty cups, trash, etc. This person will maintain a clean area...bathrooms, waiting area, children's play area, exam rooms, birthing rooms and general outside cleanliness of patios, balcones, and marquesina. This person will be responsible for laundry and terminal cleaning of birthing rooms after a patient has birthed and left. This person must be open-minded and willing to learn as my Infection Control background may require their cleaning to be different than what they are used to. This is also a job that we would like to offer to a poor woman who had drive and pride. This may be a hard-working woman who just because of lack of education cannot read or cannot write or due to where and how she was raised, does not speak as professionally as needed for clerical positions. Hours will be the same as the receptionist. What pay is expected for this?

We think that this is all we will need as at different times we will also have US Midwifery students with us for extended periods of time.
MIDWIVES WILL DO ALL OF OUR OWN RECEPTION/CLEANING WORK DURING OFF HOURS.

JARDINERO: Biweekly we would like someone to cut the grass and trim the bushes, treat the flowers and do any necessary outside work. Pay?

Thanks

SHALENA

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Ummmm.....so the business plans have LONG financial areas and I right now all we can do is put in an expected financial budget.

SHALENA
A customer rarely buys what the seller thinks he's selling.

The financials are by far the most important aspect of a business plan. A shareholder barely skims the words in a corporate annual report and will focus 90% of their anaylsis on the financials...unless something in the financials jumps out requiring further explanation. When you have a meeting with a potential donor he will take your plan and rifle through to the financials first. This will frustrate you because YOU'LL be talking emotional concept and HE'LL be thinking $$$. It's just how it is.

You need to understand how a sophistocated investor thinks. If you don't master that concept you've just reduced your probability of success by a near insurmountable margin.

You will need a three year proforma income/balance sheet/cash flow statement that match the words in your business plan.

Sophistocated investors/donors...and they will make up 80+% of your funding...understand numbers. That is what they will focus on, NOT the emotional plea.

Smart folks won't invest their charity into an organization that has "FAIL" written on it because of inexperienced management. They don't want their name attached to a problem child failure. And while a solid business plan is no guarantee of gaining donations, a bad business plan will insure no donations.

The #1 problem newbies to the world of attracting investors to a project is in the financials. Rooks routinely:
  • Overestimate the attractiveness of the offer
  • Overestimate the amount and timing of revenues
  • Badly underestimate costs, especially empoloyee costs and taxes (you will have TWO sets employee expenses and taxes to consider)
  • Badly underestimate G&A costs
  • Badly underestimate marketing costs and overestimate marketing effectiveness
  • Ignore contingency expenses
Before you go a step further, you need to refine your "elevator pitch." If you can't do that you'll fail. You will have less than 60 seconds to make a sophistocated potential donor want to entertain anymore of your presentation. Google "elevator pitch."

Jan 9, 2004
Have you considered trying to form some strategic alliances with other medical staff/providers in the D.R. You may have the best program in the world, but without those alliances.....and their help....you could run up against cultural resistance, norms.....and at worst run afoul of Dominican Law regarding the practice of medicine without the necessary licensing.

For advice, seek out other medical non-profits (doctors without borders et al) who are actually in country and functioning. I bet HB can point you in the right direction there.

Seems to me, Who, Unicef, etc., would be good sources to apply for on-going funding. However, for the moment you could find a hospital that wants to partner with you on the project.

All this having been said, your enthusiasm and desire to think of and do everything at once will eventually leave you with a great idea which can/will totally overwhelm you......write your plan first.....and then as has been said here before...find the right people to help implement it....and then let them.

Ditto to CB's advice above.

Best of luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

May 5, 2007
Midwives will determine each case individually, as we will not turn away women for inability to pay

You're planning on having the medical staff setting fees, determining who is to be seen and basically acting as "Director?" I'm no financial genius but have a few Doc friends with successful practices who would not even consider trying to operate the financial side of their business

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

This will have to be explained to me by someone with patience and an understanding that I do not have a business background, my background is medical.
I am taking in all of this advice but please with the "you're gonna fail" subtones.
I am.saying to.you guys.....we have no business background, we are not rich, we are not naive, nor are we pessimistic. MIDWIVES FOR HAITI was founded by 1 nurse midwife. They now have everythinh we desire, I am waiting on return contact from this nurse.

What I need are explanations of where you feel I have or will go wring in simple layman's terms, then with your experiences please tell me in layman's terms how to go about fixing it. Stating where I will fail without offering solutions does not help me much.
So first I will try to develop a business plan, I will find someone in the business sector to assist me with that. I know a gazillion nurses, SOMEBODY'S husband has to be in business, or accounting, or law. I will do this first and foremost.
Connections, I am trying to make. So far my vacation in November had turned into "Birth Center pitching". I have face time lined up with 4 organizations during my vacation. I've already stated that we have 2 interested OBs from Cabral y Baez, last week I received the names and telephone numbers of 2 OB/GYNs in SD who have heard and are interested. I am in with LaLeche League who has promised collaboration and education assistance. I am trying. I was just emailed by the National Director of Maternal/Infant Health for the Ministerio de Salud in DR. He is out of the country for a week, have me his secretary's number to call an make an appt to see him when I am there. THIS is the person that makes it it breaks it, with him and the church behind me I do not think that we will have problems (ie...practicing medicine without a license as HE is the one who determines that). I also have contact with 2 women's groups who have agreed to write letters for me to show their support. I want to.take letters from all of these people to the Director when I meet with him.
Aside from that, our biggest obstacle is money. I do not understand yet CB and Playa, as it sounds like you are saying that we need to be up and running with good results before any big orgs will donating to us but without donation money, how can we get yo and running? It's like credit when you're 18. You can't get a car 'cause you have no credit yet you can't build credit 'cause no one will give it to you.
I understand that I am more emotionally attacking this plan and I will change that to attack it in a business manner but I am confused. WE HAVE NO MONEY. The money that we have is no where near enough for even 2 months of operations, yet they want us to operate and produce results and then go ask for money?

Please do not think that I am not researching thoroughly because I am, I do not go to sleep until around 1am....internet researching. In fact, one piece of advice that I got one here was verbatim off of a site I was reading a couple of nights ago. U am working the hardest as I will be the only Midwifery that is there all year (except summers). The other Midwives will come in 2-4 week stints. There will always be 2-3 Midwives but I will be the one that is there all year, living there. So I have more at stake, even though we will not be paid for about 2-3 years we guess. There is another Midwife moving but she will be setting up in the Sosua/Cabarete area and everyone is waiting on how this Birth Center turns out before they take the plunge.

I fo want to thank everyone who has been sending me PMs with advice, information, offering supplies, and just the good ole' "Good Luck". I wouldn't have ANY of the contacts that I gave gotten if it weren't for DR1 members. Really, I appreciate it.
Someone here will be doing our website soon, things are coming together poco a poco. But again I need to know what I need to do because this is not my area.
For example, "Get some rich people on your board", although is a good suggestion, I have no idea how to do that. WE HAVE NO MONEY therefore rich Dominicans have no use for us. If someone could tell me where the rich ladies hang out, I could get to their husband's wallets through them!

I am rambling now but the purpose of this post was to state that I don't understand how I can be up and running to prove what a success it will be. And we will NOT make money, isn't that what non-profit is? If they expect us to make money then I guess we're doomed. We have a plan to make money for basic operating costs but not much else....did I mention we will not be paid!?! I myself will cone back to the States May-August to work 2 jobs in order for that to be my salary for the rest of the year in DR. One of the other Midwives will spend the summers.

SHALENA

Sorry for all the typos, I am using my phone

Last edited:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You're planning on having the medical staff setting fees, determining who is to be seen and basically acting as "Director?" I'm no financial genius but have a few Doc friends with successful practices who would not even consider trying to operate the financial side of their business

We are not there to make money, maybe that is where I am getting misunderstood. A physician's practice is very different than what we are planning. There are hundreds of Birth Centers in the US that have an accountant for accounting purposes but yes most Birth Center Midwives set up cost on an individual basis, sliding scale fees. We will have an accountant but WE will control who pays what in our practice as it is our passion that the majority of our patients be ones who would not have had a choice of where to go if we where not there.

SHALENA

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
Slow down....take a deep breath

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

This will have to be explained to me by someone with patience and an understanding that I do not have a business background, my background is medical.
I am taking in all of this advice but please with the "you're gonna fail" subtones.
I am.saying to.you guys.....we have no business background, we are not rich, we are not naive, nor are we pessimistic. MIDWIVES FOR HAITI was founded by 1 nurse midwife. They now have everythinh we desire, I am waiting on return contact from this nurse.

What I need are explanations of where you feel I have or will go wring in simple layman's terms, then with your experiences please tell me in layman's terms how to go about fixing it. Stating where I will fail without offering solutions does not help me much.
So first I will try to develop a business plan, I will find someone in the business sector to assist me with that. I know a gazillion nurses, SOMEBODY'S husband has to be in business, or accounting, or law. I will do this first and foremost.
Connections, I am trying to make. So far my vacation in November had turned into "Birth Center pitching". I have face time lined up with 4 organizations during my vacation. I've already stated that we have 2 interested OBs from Cabral y Baez, last week I received the names and telephone numbers of 2 OB/GYNs in SD who have heard and are interested. I am in with LaLeche League who has promised collaboration and education assistance. I am trying. I was just emailed by the National Director of Maternal/Infant Health for the Ministerio de Salud in DR. He is out of the country for a week, have me his secretary's number to call an make an appt to see him when I am there. THIS is the person that makes it it breaks it, with him and the church behind me I do not think that we will have problems (ie...practicing medicine without a license as HE is the one who determines that). I also have contact with 2 women's groups who have agreed to write letters for me to show their support. I want to.take letters from all of these people to the Director when I meet with him.
Aside from that, our biggest obstacle is money. I do not understand yet CB and Playa, as it sounds like you are saying that we need to be up and running with good results before any big orgs will donating to us but without donation money, how can we get yo and running? It's like credit when you're 18. You can't get a car 'cause you have no credit yet you can't build credit 'cause no one will give it to you.
I understand that I am more emotionally attacking this plan and I will change that to attack it in a business manner but I am confused. WE HAVE NO MONEY. The money that we have is no where near enough for even 2 months of operations, yet they want us to operate and produce results and then go ask for money?

Please do not think that I am not researching thoroughly because I am, I do not go to sleep until around 1am....internet researching. In fact, one piece of advice that I got one here was verbatim off of a site I was reading a couple of nights ago. U am working the hardest as I will be the only Midwifery that is there all year (except summers). The other Midwives will come in 2-4 week stints. There will always be 2-3 Midwives but I will be the one that is there all year, living there. So I have more at stake, even though we will not be paid for about 2-3 years we guess. There is another Midwife moving but she will be setting up in the Sosua/Cabarete area and everyone is waiting on how this Birth Center turns out before they take the plunge.

I fo want to thank everyone who has been sending me PMs with advice, information, offering supplies, and just the good ole' "Good Luck". I wouldn't have ANY of the contacts that I gave gotten if it weren't for DR1 members. Really, I appreciate it.
Someone here will be doing our website soon, things are coming together poco a poco. But again I need to know what I need to do because this is not my area.
For example, "Get some rich people on your board", although is a good suggestion, I have no idea how to do that. WE HAVE NO MONEY therefore rich Dominicans have no use for us. If someone could tell me where the rich ladies hang out, I could get to their husband's wallets through them!

I am rambling now but the purpose of this post was to state that I don't understand how I can be up and running to prove what a success it will be. And we will NOT make money, isn't that what non-profit is? If they expect us to make money then I guess we're doomed. We have a plan to make money for basic operating costs but not much else....did I mention we will not be paid!?! I myself will cone back to the States May-August to work 2 jobs in order for that to be my salary for the rest of the year in DR. One of the other Midwives will spend the summers.

SHALENA

Sorry for all the typos, I am using my phone

Let's return to square one for a moment.

You have a wonderful idea...how do you implement it?

Answer: Develop a plan.

Your plan is your roadmap of who, what, when, where and HOW.....with all your projected financials. It reflects what you expect to need, capital and otherwise, to operate.....not what you currently have. It projects into the future your expansion possibilities, financial needs, etc.

With your plan, you can then shop your well thought out idea to potential donors or organizations. You might even ask one of them to become a board member. You only need one board member with good contacts to open doors for you.

You do not necessarily have to prove it will be successful.....just that it is viable.....and that you believe in it. You do not make money, as in profit, but you do need to know it takes money to fund any organization, profit or non-profit. You do need to take into account your costs, salaries, expansion needs down the road. You do need to understand that funding and fundraising are NOT one time events.

And you do need to know and believe that it is doable.....with tact, tenacity, and an "eye of the tiger" mentality as you approach donors and convey your "failure is not an option" mindset.

Anecdotally, last year I was able to help procure $35,000.00 from a medical foundation for a heart operation for a poor individual. How did I do it....in a weeks time....dialed every darn contact I had....who in turn gave me every darn contact they had....and in a week I had the surgery monies to pay for the hospital....who had in turn reduced their fee from $75,000.00....and to give full credit to the doctor...he performed the surgery gratis. In a nutshell, I sat and wrote down every single doctor, hospital administrator, peripheral contact I knew in the medical field and when they said they could not help me, I asked for a name or number of someone that they knew that might. The result was an important new contact for me, and an annual donation from my company...a win/win for everybody.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

SHALENA
Mine IS in layman's terms.

If you have no money, first you have to raise money. I'll give you $50 but that won't take you far. 100 people giving you $50 won't take you far.

I'd be most surprised if you can create a First Worldish (in Dominican standards) Birthing Center for under $300,000 capital PLUS $4000 per month...IF the tech staff works for free.

You will find many will see you and give you the impression of future support, but they will say "Come back when your plan is in writing and we'll chat then." A pleasant blow-off.

You will find that without a good plan in writing even those with deep pockets will have short arms.

If'n I'm you, I do the research and build the plan before I visit the first person with my "elevator pitch," ESPECIALLY gubmint and NGO officials. Otherwise you'll be spinning your wheels.

You've got one shot to impress. If you don't impress you can forget going back and expect a good reception. You need to have your sh!t tightly packed and ready for every objection that might be brought up. Nobody is going to give you real money because you have passion, but no or a bad written plan. What do you think professional Grant Writing is all about, and why do you think they make so much money? Writing a business plan is nearly the same as writing a grant...a critical document.

One shot.

You better have the right bullets in the proper gun.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Many people have great, workable ideas. The difference between success and failure is how it's implemented.

People make the difference, not the idea.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
By George, I think I got it now.

Thank you.

The next few weeks I will not think about after, I will solely concentration in the business plan. I will contact as many people as I can until I find someone who knows someone who can help me or at least that I can call as I am writing it.

I was getting overwhelmed, right now I will just focus on the plan, step 1.

Thank you

SHALENA