Leaving the DR with an expired residency.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
As is the norm, i was getting mixed signals from the different DGM offices.

POP spluttered, had no idea, but urged me to upload my documents for renewal, before i left.
Couldnt do it as Procuderia General could not issue a certificado de no antecedente penal using my cedula ( because it was out of date ).
They needed 5 days using my cedula and my new passport.

So I spent 2 days in Santo Domingo in order to track down my old passport with DHL.
So I went to DGM down by the malecon.
Well, they were of good will, but scared me .

Either I managed to prove when i entered the country and paid overstay for the FULL time ( and not only since my residency expired ).

Or I couldnt prove when i came into the country and had to pay the maximum overstay fee ( 70k !!😖😖😖). Yikes.

Basically they told me to leave as a tourist, give up my residency at the airport, and enter the DR as a tourist next time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, basically that's what happened to my wife.....

I think she was in renewal but DGM had no way of tracking that if/when you leave.

I don't think your options are good....... a good lesson for those needing to renew!!

malko

Jan 12, 2013
In the end , at Las Americas airport, the lovely young lady sent me over to the overstay desk to pay the fee, but only since my residency expired.
And she was all sorry about it, God love her.

So I head over to the booth, and another lovely not-as-young lady actually waived the fee. She said i was allowed 30 free days, anyway ( like a tourist ) and that the extra 2 weeks were a gift !!! 🤩🤩

She asked me if i was going to renew when i came back, i said yes. So she told me to keep expired residency and use it to enter the country next time as a resident.

All in all, a pleasant experience all round.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I am leaving now in April and my residency expired last July. I decided not to renew. I will see what happens. It doesn’t mean that I won’t ever renew. Generally I just think they consider you someone late regarding renewing. You probably have the cedula forever anyway.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am leaving now in April and my residency expired last July. I decided not to renew. I will see what happens. It doesn’t mean that I won’t ever renew. Generally I just think they consider you someone late regarding renewing. You probably have the cedula forever anyway.
An invalid cedula, one with no legal residency renewal behind it, does continue to work for some things. Others have reported not renewing residency and still using a cedula, but it will depend upon where and how it is used.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
An invalid cedula, one with no legal residency renewal behind it, does continue to work for some things. Others have reported not renewing residency and still using a cedula, but it will depend upon where and how it is used.
Thanks for the feedback Windy. I think when I come back I can still use it at the bank and at any clinic with my health insurance. I recently did use my health insurance like that. But I have my passport additionally registered with the bank and insurance company.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
In all of the years I've had residency here, the ONLY time I have shown my carnet to anyone was at the airport coming and going.

It's the same number on my cedula, my license, and my residence carnets.

I cannot remember the last time I used my passport number for anything.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm tempted to get my DR passport - only to pass thru the auto-gate.

There is no longer a 'citizens/residents' line at incoming immigration....all arriving pax stand in line
Can be quite long

Reactions: nekokatt

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

There is no longer a 'citizens/residents' line at incoming immigration....all arriving pax stand in line
Can be quite long
Don't know about the other airports but In PUJ there is a Dominican line with no one on it. Just show your Cedula if there is security and the booth will take any Passport along with your DR Cedula. After all you are a Citizen.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No Dominican line at POP or SDQ.....
SDQ has the auto gates

Odd PUJ would have a Dominican line..... all those tourists arriving

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
No Dominican line at POP or SDQ.....
SDQ has the auto gates

Odd PUJ would have a Dominican line..... all those tourists arriving
In PUJ there is a short line you can pick. I always did thinking it was for citizens and residents and getting through quicker.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Don't know about the other airports but In PUJ there is a Dominican line with no one on it. Just show your Cedula if there is security and the booth will take any Passport along with your DR Cedula. After all you are a Citizen.
You can use that line as a resident.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I don't feel they'll hold it against you. What would be the motive

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I don't feel they'll hold it against you. What would be the motive
I think you have the cedula forever. If you haven’t renewed you now owe the renewal fee lol Just like a Dominican citizenship probably can’t be denounced again. It’s with you forever.

nekokatt

Feb 25, 2012

In all of the years I've had residency here, the ONLY time I have shown my carnet to anyone was at the airport coming and going.

It's the same number on my cedula, my license, and my residence carnets.

I cannot remember the last time I used my passport number for anything.
Banks always ask me for passport, probably the ultimate form of identification (for foreigners)

No problem with expired cedula at hotel or claro

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Banks always ask me for passport, probably the ultimate form of identification (for foreigners)

No problem with expired cedula at hotel or claro
No problem with expired cedula at bank, claro and clinic/health insurance. But I Informed my health insurance I didn’t renew and sent them copy of passport. At bank I am not 100% sure but originally when I first opened it I used my passport.

nekokatt

Feb 25, 2012

Can be quite long
One more reason to do that!

Saturday 4PM, took 10 minutes. Longest wait was baggage and customs X-ray line

They asked me for hotel address. seems like they didn't check E-TICKET ???

nekokatt

Feb 25, 2012
An invalid cedula, one with no legal residency renewal behind it, does continue to work for some things. Others have reported not renewing residency and still using a cedula, but it will depend upon where and how it is used

Um, in that case you are officially a Tourist then?

I always renew late, got sent to Foreigner line (back then) as well as buy the $10 card (Now included with airfare - I don't claim refund as its so small, consider it a donation to help the DR. On the other hand, Mexico is $40 and airlines never respond to refund requests. Only citizens can avoid it upfront)

This time 2 years late because of Covid !!! despite USD 450 penalty, saved 1.5K over Lawyer, Fees, Hotel, Air. I need to figure out how to do renewal myself next time.

PS: transited thru SDQ one time, airport staff made me buy $10 card. Migracion official went with me to get refunded.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Um, in that case you are officially a Tourist then?

I always renew late, got sent to Foreigner line (back then) as well as buy the $10 card (Now included with airfare - I don't claim refund as its so small, consider it a donation to help the DR. On the other hand, Mexico is $40 and airlines never respond to refund requests. Only citizens can avoid it upfront)

This time 2 years late because of Covid !!! still USD 450 penalty cheaper than $2K+ for Lawyer, Fees, Hotel, Air. I need to figure out how to do it myself next time.

PS: transited thru SDQ one time, airport staff made me buy $10 card. Migracion official went with me to get refunded.
Yes I expect to visit in 2023 as a tourist.