LED Bulbs

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
What I like about the Ikea ones is that they give out a warm white light. *Some LED bulbs can give out that pasty bluish light which I don't like for a bedroom or living room.

*I couldn't agree more on the 'sterile' light some give off. *Reminds me of being in a hospital.*

I actually just read up a bit on this a few weeks ago. *The type of light emitted has to do with the temperature they operate. I've seen some packaging marked with such, but not all. *I don't recall the exact numbers, but I believe when the 'temp' gets in the 2000-3000 range.......you'll have the 'warmer, softer' you of light we grew up with. *

* *A quick guide here.....

http://http://www.integral-led.com/education/warm-white-or-cool-white

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The prices have reached the point where it makes sense to use LED bulbs in applications where compact fluorescents were used. Please not that I have found that if you use a dimmer with dimmable LED bulbs and have a standard inverter (non sine wave version) the dimmer may not work well.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
*I couldn't agree more on the 'sterile' light some give off. *Reminds me of being in a hospital.*

I actually just read up a bit on this a few weeks ago. *The type of light emitted has to do with the temperature they operate. I've seen some packaging marked with such, but not all. *I don't recall the exact numbers, but I believe when the 'temp' gets in the 2000-3000 range.......you'll have the 'warmer, softer' you of light we grew up with. *

* *A quick guide here.....

http://http://www.integral-led.com/education/warm-white-or-cool-white

I have "warm light" in several areas and find them a relief from the spiral bulbs that we have had. Several light shade temps available.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I've changed out several dimmers using.. dimmer LED bulbs. NO problem at all using street or FULL sine wave inverter or generator. HOWEVER... not all equipment is the same so results my differ.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I've changed out several dimmers using.. dimmer LED bulbs. NO problem at all using street or FULL sine wave inverter or generator. HOWEVER... not all equipment is the same so results my differ.

I would anticipate no problems at all with dimmers and sine wave power. It is the normal inverters sold here that actually generate a square wave that my cause issues with LED bulbs and dimmers.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
The prices have reached the point where it makes sense to use LED bulbs in applications where compact fluorescents were used. Please not that I have found that if you use a dimmer with dimmable LED bulbs and have a standard inverter (non sine wave version) the dimmer may not work well.

Perhaps its time for you to consider moving up to an at least modified if not full sine wave.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Perhaps its time for you to consider moving up to an at least modified if not full sine wave.

I have what are called modified sine wave inverters, which I am quite certain are really square waves, which is why I did not make a distinction. I have no real reason to move up to much more expensive sine wave inverters having used regular inverters for 13 years.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I have what are called modified sine wave inverters, which I am quite certain are really square waves, which is why I did not make a distinction. I have no real reason to move up to much more expensive sine wave inverters having used regular inverters for 13 years.

I can not answer your question. Sorry. Some stores here in the DR sell LED bulbs for regular screw in fixtures. Perhaps a couple that you can install and let us know how they work with your power set up. That would be worth knowing for many.

Thank you.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I can not answer your question. Sorry. Some stores here in the DR sell LED bulbs for regular screw in fixtures. Perhaps a couple that you can install and let us know how they work with your power set up. That would be worth knowing for many.

Thank you.

That might be a while. I still have a supply of soft white CFL bulbs. I don't think the dimmable LED bulbs I have in my track lights have any problems without the using the dimmers. The local stores sell cheap Chinese LED bulbs at very high prices.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I bought 2 Philips Hue led bulbs, also afraid they would damage fast and they are 19,95 each, but come with an integrated wifi receiver to manage the light by my phone or tablet and also from out of the house, dimmable, if you buy the new ones they have the whole white spectrum, the first and second generation have a rather warm white.*

After all stayed well for a few months I bought one full color hue led bulb *that can change to any color or adapt to the color of a picture of your choosing. And after some months more waiting I bought 10 more white bulbs for outside, all working fine and very happy with them. Lights work with IFTTT so switch on by sunset and off at sunrise if I want or when it starts raining or start blinking or changing color if a certain event reported on the Internet occurs.*

My wife thought it was one of my stupid toys/gadgets but she now likes it. I say 'bedtime' and the lights in the living room turn off and on the patio dim.*

Only downside in DR, since you need to keep them switched on all the time (the app switches the light off, the switch stays on) when the electricity goes off and comes back all lights turn on at full brightness.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Ah, I forgot you're solar, we're not. *Plain old Edesur, inverters and a whole house voltage regulator that helps appliances run but does nothing to stop frying bulbs

I'm on regular electricity from the street plus invertors and have no problems with LED bulbs. Some don't last as long as one would expect, but most do, so overall I find them beneficial.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Leds are able to take more abuse...I use them in my cabin in the North Canadian Shield generator power only ,when well pump kicks in they flicker 3yrs they haven't died...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Leds are able to take more abuse...I use them in my cabin in the North Canadian Shield generator power only ,when well pump kicks in they flicker 3yrs they haven't died...

There is no abuse like the DR power grid. It can kill anything. At least reasonably priced LED bulbs are now available in case there are issues. I stayed away from them until now because of reports that the earlier versions were nowhere near as robust as touted.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There is no abuse like the DR power grid. It can kill anything. At least reasonably priced LED bulbs are now available in case there are issues. I stayed away from them until now because of reports that the earlier versions were nowhere near as robust as touted.

Me too, maybe we'll try some now.........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
GreatLife, we have a fellow here in Cabrera who commutes from Yellowknife.

Male medic/nurse, works x number of weeks then gets big time off.
They fly him back/forth*