LED Light Strips Banned From Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I'll remove mine because I don't want to be denied reentry because of it,

but it is going to absolutely kill me inside every time a car with one drives in my direction.

If they want to enforce the laws, and I think they should, then they need to enforce it on everyone, all the time, and fast.

This year the cost of multas went up a lot, as well. Like a **** ton. But have you seen any less camiones missing brake lights? Any less motos without helmets? Hell, the other day I saw some Amet driving without helmets.

Here is what is actually happening: The Amet realized that people were stopping to pay propinas to avoid multas, so they raised the price of multas and added more laws.
Now, when you get stopped, the police have more power to fine you a lot of money, as well as dismantle your car. Either you will pay them significantly more money to avoid the multa and keep their hands off your car (like $1000 pesos, maybe $2,000, still half the price of a $4,000 multa) or, you will get the expensive multa, and the Amet will have a nice light bar that he can sell in the campo where there aren't any Amet.

Like I said, I'll take off my light bar. But now, I'm finding reasons to avoid Santo Domingo like the plague, because we all know that's the place for Amet to harass tourists. Also the only place I couldn't talk or bribe my way out of a multa. And the most annoying thing is, I am 100% confident I didn't break any laws when I got that multa.

The other day I watched a commercial truck driver throwing styrofoam trash out the window of his truck, just weeks after the entire country was getting national news coverage for littering.

Don't get me wrong, I really love so much about this place, but some days, it can be frustrating. I hope it's still amazing in 40 years when I'm retired and just want to sit on the beach all day, but I'm worried it won't be.

Now I need some ideas for using this 10" super bright LED light bar! Decorative lighting under the sofa? Flood light for my parking space? Emergency light driven by batteries during a power outage? Paper weight? I'll take it to the US on my next flight, it cost about as much as an overstay fine and I used silicone to make sure it's waterproof for forever, it's a nice one...of course I can't use it on the road there either, but if I do, the police won't steal it from me on the side of the road, just get a fix it ticket, send it to ticket clinic, etc.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Now I need some ideas for using this 10" super bright LED light bar! Decorative lighting under the sofa? Flood light for my parking space? Emergency light driven by batteries during a power outage? Paper weight? I'll take it to the US on my next flight, it cost about as much as an overstay fine and I used silicone to make sure it's waterproof for forever, it's a nice one...of course I can't use it on the road there either, but if I do, the police won't steal it from me on the side of the road, just get a fix it ticket, send it to ticket clinic, etc.
Attach it outside to a motion sensor and it'd make for a real surprise for someone snooping around...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I very much doubt this will be enforced, any more than the need to carry fire extinguishers etc that everyone was worrying about a year or so ago. As others have said, AMET rarely work at night anyway, but they might look for them in the daytime to shake down gringos.

I wish this law would be enforced because I hate LED "stadium" lights, but can't see it happening.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I very much doubt this will be enforced, any more than the need to carry fire extinguishers etc that everyone was worrying about a year or so ago. As others have said, AMET rarely work at night anyway, but they might look for them in the daytime to shake down gringos.

I wish this law would be enforced because I hate LED "stadium" lights, but can't see it happening.
Well, I guess they decided to work last night. My husband was stopped by AMET in Santiago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sep 4, 2012
I admit that when our big van lost a headlight and the OEM was expensive, my mechanic installed a replacement module with 9 LEDS which are much bighter than OEM.

They will be removed today.

God knows how many times I might've had flipped you off in the past for those bright ass lights. I detest them!

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
They won't enforce it here in Sosua,90% of the offenders are the carritos and you know that AMET doesn't have the balls to try to take a light off of one of those thugs.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I hate the led lights big time. It reminds me of the guys who jack their trucks up and put on big tires to drive to their job at Sears.
But as mentioned by jahjahwarrior the throwing of trash into the streets, beaches and rivers is more annoying than the lights.
Come on Dominicans - where is real pride in your country ? Take a look at the outfall to the ocean in any location you will find it is littered with trash. Quit throwing trash out of cars. That should be a 5000 peso fine.

And while I'm at it check out the radiator shops or transmission taller - they just dump coolant or their transmission fluid on the ground - guess where that poison winds up. Same with oil being changed by any yokel in the street.
Surprised more dogs don't die drinking from the gutters

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hate the led lights big time. It reminds me of the guys who jack their trucks up and put on big tires to drive to their job at Sears.
But as mentioned by jahjahwarrior the throwing of trash into the streets, beaches and rivers is more annoying than the lights.
Come on Dominicans - where is real pride in your country ? Take a look at the outfall to the ocean in any location you will find it is littered with trash. Quit throwing trash out of cars. That should be a 5000 peso fine.

And while I'm at it check out the radiator shops or transmission taller - they just dump coolant or their transmission fluid on the ground - guess where that poison winds up. Same with oil being changed by any yokel in the street.
Surprised more dogs don't die drinking from the gutters

I guess the dogs are lucky they don't normally use ethylene glycol in radiators here.

Yes the bright lights are very annoying and yes I will believe it when I see the new law against them enforced on the North Coast.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I guess the dogs are lucky they don't normally use ethylene glycol in radiators here.

Yes the bright lights are very annoying and yes I will believe it when I see the new law against them enforced on the North Coast.
Got stopped by two police in Cangrejo yesterday. They just said they hadn't seen my car in the area and I did nothing wrong they just wanted to check me out.

Come on it's a White Hyundai Santa Fe - you haven't seen my car pass here 500 times ?

Didn't ask for papers or license but eventually they asked for refrescos.

I said sure I didn't have any money on me but I would meet them at the Montellano police station in an hour and bring them Coca Colas - OK you have a nice day sir....

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yes those bar light thingys are a real pain...... but so are the morons that drive around on full beam.

My recipe to keep my sanity :

-a high vehicule.
-tinted windshield
-hand held torch to blast them as we pass by :) :)...... jajajajaaj i know....... but better then shooting them, i guess ;) ;)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Oh, and P.S, this year we are going to go the IED and chicken-wire route against the offroad bikes and quads that run around in groups, on the road,,of course.......duuh.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've got one of those 5 ft. long LED light bars on my Cherokee. It's hooked to my bright light switch which I never use, unless it's to blast some idiot coming at me with HIS lights on blasting me.

My take? I'm not going to use the Cherokee for a week. Leave it home and let it have a rest. A week from now nobody will remember there's a law, just like everything else.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Hope they keep enforcing this new thingy.....I was getting tired of using my sunglasses at night....:cool:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
So.... I've had a change in plans. A friend of mine who is an AMET officer told me yesterday it would be a good idea to remove my light.

He said it didn't matter if I was using it or not, I would get stopped for having it installed. The law says you can't have them installed, let alone use it.

They are not just removing them from vehicles, they are confiscating them, so who am I to ignore good advice.

I'll probably use it to light up my neighborho...errr... backyard with a movement sensor instead.

No use throwing away good money, and my headlights are Xenon anyway.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Those LED light bars and the illegal HID xenon headlights are dangerous. I've come very close to hitting several motos at night because I was temporarily blinded by an oncoming idiot with those lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.