Legal Business Question

Loaded

Dec 26, 2005
Long time reader first time posting, so hello everyone.

What if any are the legal ramifications of starting up a small rum distillery?

I guess that question is sort of lacking, ramifications in terms of liscensing, permits etc.

I am not talking about competing with a Brugal or a Cruzan, more of a small less then 2500 bottles a year outfit.

I understand the in's and outs of distilling, this is more of putting the process near so many wondefully grown and fresh ingredients.

Any thoughts or comments or location advice would be appreciated.

Loaded

Dec 26, 2005
Carina,

Thanks, I went to the link but it is doing this amazing rapid refresh about every 4 seconds making it quite difficult to read. If possible and not to much trouble if you could post the email address or PM it to me I would greatly appreciate it.

Loaded

Dec 26, 2005
Carina,

I got it to work using a different browser, should have thought of that first. I am currently in Thailand on business and this internet here is "poor" at best.
Thanks for the help.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think that "friend " has gone into any of the legalities of his operation.

If you want to operate a distillery, you need to set up a corporation; receive a permit from the Ministry of Industry and Commerce as well as "Fomento Industrial" and the Rentas Internas has to give a 'go ahead' ....

Your raw materials: molassas and such have to be contracted for, which might make for fun, since any of the rum companies wants competition..

However, you can probably contract for the alcohol, so that is a start.

Just add your own flavoring...

HB :D

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Loaded said:
Carina,

I got it to work using a different browser, should have thought of that first. I am currently in Thailand on business and this internet here is "poor" at best.
Thanks for the help.

If you're even in the DR, look me up. I'm also interested in going into the spirits business. I would like to make spirits out of the local wild agave...

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hillbilly said:
I don't think that "friend " has gone into any of the legalities of his operation.

If you want to operate a distillery, you need to set up a corporation; receive a permit from the Ministry of Industry and Commerce as well as "Fomento Industrial" and the Rentas Internas has to give a 'go ahead' ....

Your raw materials: molassas and such have to be contracted for, which might make for fun, since any of the rum companies wants competition..

However, you can probably contract for the alcohol, so that is a start.

Just add your own flavoring...

HB :D

That I don?t know, I just saw in the blog alots of writing about this, don?t know him personally.
The blog describes permits etc, so I thought it could be useful reading.:classic:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, given his track record at cutting corners and getting himself into jams, I tend to doubt it, but, as you will know, in this country, anything is possible.:p

Having broused through the blog, it is interesting to note that lawyers are making a ton of dollars..........Just maybe, is what I'll give his chances of not running afoul of the law...something he has supposedly managed to do in a couple of other places, btw...

HB

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hillbilly said:
Well, given his track record at cutting corners and getting himself into jams, I tend to doubt it, but, as you will know, in this country, anything is possible.:p

Having broused through the blog, it is interesting to note that lawyers are making a ton of dollars..........Just maybe, is what I'll give his chances of not running afoul of the law...something he has supposedly managed to do in a couple of other places, btw...

HB

Hillbilly, I would check the source of that information. The source may just be blacker than the subject :laugh: :laugh: and tossing the brown stuff around to hide the original smell. In fact, I would bet another suckling pig on this (Geez, now I've made myself nauseous here...).

Having said that, the 'friend' in question should perhaps really stay off his own produce and not participate on any of the friendlier type forums. The legal process is proceeding and I cannot comment on how good or valid it is. The whiskey is real btw... and I'll tell you how good it is as soon as I collect my christmas gift bottle of scotch. :classic:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
This was not the question of the OP, but I wrote an email to Brian and asked him directly, I also wrote that I will post his reply here if he doesn?t mind. The info I got was this;
He replied he has a company registered, Ducadol de Montesol SA, also a licence to produce alcohol, and that the "sanity test" takes place on Thursday this week.
Lawyer is Dolly Cabrera.

Loaded

Dec 26, 2005
Thank you to all who contributed,

I think contacting an attorney in the DR who is not going to cut any corners is crucial. I have been producing small bactches of a very nice Rum and my current manufacturing abilites limit my sales. I think by my reading on this forum and having visited the DR approx 10 times for a week here and there, the process will be slow and painfull. With that said nothing in this world is easy and for each challenge; you make steps towards prosperous business. I realize that there is a easy route anywhere where a wallet can be padded but this is a sure route to problems down the line. With respect to obtaining materials what if any is the regulation on sugar cane trade direct from Haiti with the DR? I have not looked into this and will do so but I would guess there is some cross lateral trade if not, I would consider buying a large plot of land to grow my own cane. Again a new challenge appears..........

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
It would be interesting to know about the sugar cane trade (if there is such a thing) between the DR and Haiti. I often drive through military checks where they're checking for habichuelas, ajo y arroz being illegally transported from Haiti into the DR. Apparently people do this .....

Loaded

Dec 26, 2005
I have done some research on importation of goods from Haiti. I think the process is best described with the following phrase "Bueno Suerte" . The only serious trade between the 2 countries seems to be between Major corporations who have had agreements in place since the creation of man and also between the Governments. Other then that I think in the small private sector its darn near impossible lots of red tape. Its is very interesting to me looking at the current situation in Haiti. For the right person with the proper wallet you could really create a legacy there in terms of tourism and helping it begin the healing process of decades of turmoil. Also Haiti is a prime canidate right now for a country wide ecological restoration project. Its one heck of a feat but its going to have to start with education and a stable govt.

"Edited for a spelling mistake"