Lifestyles attempts to privatize Playa Cofresi

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
There must be some attractions for living on the north coast but it is hard to see from reading the constant reports here of problems in Sosua ,Atlantic beaches, all the murders reported by DV8 ,the road problems and the constant rain and closing of public beaches . Don't you all think it would be better living in Juan Dolio for example or in Bani .

Not at all.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i have been reading some working papers on retirement migration, and i am working on the notion that in 20 years there will be no public beaches left in this region, except in Cuba.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There must be some attractions for living on the north coast but it is hard to see from reading the constant reports here of problems in Sosua ,Atlantic beaches, all the murders reported by DV8 ,the road problems and the constant rain and closing of public beaches . Don't you all think it would be better living in Juan Dolio for example or in Bani .

Sosua is what it is. The type of sand on the beach is important for tourists. The murders seem higher because more expats live here than in most other parts of the country. The constant rain? Hmm. It's a tropical island. Are Juan Dolio and Bani desert environments? Closing of public beaches is going to happen everywhere over time - money changes everything here.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
They will never privatize the beaches here, they will try but I don't think the people would stand for it. It's their island and their beaches.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

I would tend to agree with the two B's: Bani and Bayahibe, but everything in between would never be acceptable for the average expat or tourist. I can't speak of San Cristobal, but I assume it is too close to Santo Domingo, just as is the case with Boca Chica which has it's own specific problems, in being a shell of what it once was. Guayacanes and Juan Dolio are currently ghost towns. San Pedro and La Romana are large urban centers, and that then brings us to Casa de Campo.....which is another story in itself.
I would tend to disagree in that the north has it's own special blend of tropical beauty which has drawn it's particular expat and tourist communities, which is world's apart from the south, and they would find it hard to adjust. Maybe the southwest or northeast, but then this causes logistical challenges with transportation and other amenities or comforts that some desire.
Thirdly, it is also necessary to make mention of the all-empowering phenomenon of some already possessing their tucked away hideouts, so called paradises or nirvanas, that would detest the likes of swarming expats or tourists invading, and destroying life as it currently exists.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They will never privatize the beaches here, they will try but I don't think the people would stand for it. It's their island and their beaches.

It can be done if all of the land around a beach is purchased. Then they could block access or charge for access. Think about the small beach that popped up in Sosua and the only access was through private property. People did not like that they were charged a fee to get to that beach, but there is nothing illegal about that fee in that situation since there was no other land access to the beach other than through private property.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i repeat...in 20 years there will be no private beaches. forget the idea of their land, and their beach. the road between Santo Domingo and Samana is on their land, but the access to it is not free.

it is called globalization, and its discontents.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Sosua is what it is. The type of sand on the beach is important for tourists. The murders seem higher because more expats live here than in most other parts of the country. The constant rain? Hmm. It's a tropical island. Are Juan Dolio and Bani desert environments? Closing of public beaches is going to happen everywhere over time - money changes everything here.

The vegetation in the rural parts near Juan Dolio isn't as lush as in Puerto Plata, and in the vicinity of Bani the vegetation is similar to what is often seen in Monte Cristi. Even the mountain slopes look dull compare to Puerto Plata mountains. Not many royal palms growing wildly on those slopes near Bani. The Royal Palm needs plenty of rain to survive naturally and in large quantity.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The vegetation in the rural parts near Juan Dolio isn't as lush as in Puerto Plata, and in the vicinity of Bani the vegetation is similar to what is often seen in Monte Cristi. Even the mountain slopes look dull compare to Puerto Plata mountains. Not many royal palms growing wildly on those slopes near Bani. The Royal Palm needs plenty of rain to survive naturally and in large quantity.

Juan Dolio and Bani sound like very un-scenic locations. I went once to the area now known as Bavaro/Punt Cana. It was really dull. Like Florida dull. Never had the urge to return to that part of the island.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Actually, within certain areas of the southwest, more specifically beginning in Azua and continuing towards Barahona a semi-arid climate does exist, and cacti can be found in great quantity.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
i repeat...in 20 years there will be no private beaches. forget the idea of their land, and their beach. the road between Santo Domingo and Samana is on their land, but the access to it is not free.

it is called globalization, and its discontents.

Overwrought people said the same things twenty years ago, and twenty years before them as well. It's all blether.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014

It would be better for the beaches itself though.... every sunday the beach at cofresi (and other beaches) are flooded with locals carrying loads of rubbish and styrofoam cups and plates. When they leave the place looks worse than when a hurricane went over it. They turn the beaches into a giant waste pit...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It would be better for the beaches itself though.... every sunday the beach at cofresi (and other beaches) are flooded with locals carrying loads of rubbish and styrofoam cups and plates. When they leave the place looks worse than when a hurricane went over it. They turn the beaches into a giant waste pit...

i am in full agreement with you that locals have less than acceptable social graces at times, fouling the place with garbage, boisterous and noisy behavior, and antisocial acts such as public urination. these behaviors offend the sensibilities of foreigners, who are not accustomed to such displays of dysfunction. needless to say, they also offend the segment of locals that know better.

the problem, as i said before, is that this is their country. their throwing of trash wherever they go is a matter between them and the local government, whose job should be to impose necessary sanctions to curb these disorders. we cannot allow for a situation in which foreigners go to countries, purchase property, and get to decide who can use the country's resources.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
It can be done if all of the land around a beach is purchased. Then they could block access or charge for access. Think about the small beach that popped up in Sosua and the only access was through private property. People did not like that they were charged a fee to get to that beach, but there is nothing illegal about that fee in that situation since there was no other land access to the beach other than through private property.

Apples and oranges on this one! That beach disappeared anyway from Hurricane:(

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

There's a gov't office that reviews new developments on the shoreline. Maybe not private residences but with larger developments they take a look. And they look at it to determine if public access is necessary. Probably a few things go into making the determination, but the amount of current public traffic to that particular beach could be one of them.