Lighthouse without lights, only in the DR

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Wouldn't it make it very easy to intercept the drug drops?

After several drug drops were intercepted by anyone who they were not intended for, isn't it logical to assume that they would quit?

Don't think so. They will find another place to drop.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Dominican military sends out boats to guide them in!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
You think just MAYBE the lights from Santo Domingo can't be used as a direction finder????
C mon MAN!

May 12, 2005
faron-md.gif

Colon_Faro.jpg

columbis-lighthous_1738140i.jpg

Feb 15, 2005
The Dominican military sends out boats to guide them in!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
You think just MAYBE the lights from Santo Domingo can't be used as a direction finder????
C mon MAN!

Well perhaps. Then the real reason is that it's a public landmark and the government has no money...

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Shame to let that be neglected. I do agree if it is not to be maintained, then the remains should be moved back to the Cathedral and buried right where the box came out behind the Cardinals Chair. Seems the structure incites some good and bad passions. Perhaps a grass roots fundraiser on this site is in order?

Aug 6, 2006
Those are the best photos of the Faro have seen.

I do not see how the Faro would all all that useful to smugglers doing a drop. If the have a GPS, and I am sure they do, both the droppers and the collectors, they simply need previously agreed upon coordinates and drop and pickup at that point. The lights of the city are unmistakable, Faro or no Faro.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Faro is a fitting monument to everything that is wrong with the way this country has been governed.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
El Faro is Balaguer?s legacy. Every president intends to leave behind a series of buildings, monuments, construction work, etc, to be remembered by.
I doubt that any politician in power would want to invest large sums of money in maintaining the competition's legacy.

May 29, 2006
the lights at night could be a very good show, with music and lights changing colors, and during the day the musseum in better conditions and air conditioner system. make nicer the areas outside.

Color changing LEDs strobes and some music. Pop in a car wash within 1000 meters and a big parking lot..

Apr 13, 2011
I would still like to see el faro lit up again and be a national landmark (not a political landmark). If one party built it and the other party is able to relight it, then both parties can take some credit - and allow it to be a national symbol, especially with Columbus' remains and being the first city in the Americas. It would even be good for people flying into SDQ with the pilot saying "we are approaching as you can see the lights from el faro out your window"...