Living in Sosua on a low budget

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Hi,

To reply to a few comments, I was having a room on 30 de marzo close to antera mota. We seldom were out of electricity and had water pumped morning and evening for a couple of hours otherwise you could pick it up with a pale from the cistern.

I was eating local food for 60 pesos for lunch, 30 pesos for breakfast, tostadas or snack at home for dinner.

No, I m not planning to have that budget around Sosua with my girlfriend but around 10 to 12,000 pesos. Hopefully we can make it on that.

Thanks for your comments.

Bye,:bunny:

Kia and Pierre

10-12000 pesos, two people, in Sosua??? I mean a lot of dominicans live for that, so of course. But why??? Live in Los Charamicos, take a towel the beach, eat sand every 2 nd meal, two beers every week. I do not see the point living here on that budget, sry.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Hi,

To reply to a few comments, I was having a room on 30 de marzo close to antera mota. We seldom were out of electricity and had water pumped morning and evening for a couple of hours otherwise you could pick it up with a pale from the cistern.

I was eating local food for 60 pesos for lunch, 30 pesos for breakfast, tostadas or snack at home for dinner.

No, I m not planning to have that budget around Sosua with my girlfriend but around 10 to 12,000 pesos. Hopefully we can make it on that.

Kia and Pierre

Local food is around 100 pesos now. Prices have gone up.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Dear DRoners,

With all respect but I think low budget tourists and residents are not a good deal for the Dominican Republic which allready have a reputation of a non-classy proletarian destination : "much sun for less money".
A moneystream can be created to nice upperclass real estate developments, boutiques, gastronomic restaurants so that we can compete with St Bartlemy, Barbados and other places.
I repeat, with all respect for all human beings, but I think that a higher social economic and cultural level of foreigners can contribute to the dominican society.

Dear DRoners, this are my thoughts from this moment. Don't shoot the pianist.

HIRAM, I'm not going to shoot :) but there are a few comments I can't allow to go unchallenged. Low budget tourists may not spend much money but a foreigner living on a low budget might be doing it for all the right reasons i.e. to test himself out (as he did last year), to experience life the way the majority of Dominicans live it, to test how strong the relationship with his girlfriend is and whether she'll be prepared to follow him on his next adventure down the Amazon or wherever.
And just because zephyr1957 is living on a modest budget does NOT mean he is a cultural zombie. Sometimes people like him actually contribute more to the local community by working as volunteers than say a tourist does. He might be a trainee medic or a social anthropologist - who knows? Certainly given his intention of staying 4 months to a year I imagine he has a reason for being here. Most likely living on a modest budget for that length of time he will get to know many Dominicans a lot better than some holidaymakers would.
And to people who can't see the point in living like that, not everyone equates a lifestyle with the ease it offers. Zephyr could be a writer or artist who wants to immerse himself in the local way of life or he might be looking for spiritual and psychological development.
The 'higher socio-economic level of foreigners' does not necessarily mean they have style, class or couth. The OP might knock many richer foreigners into a cocked hat, as the saying goes.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hi,

Dear Kia and Pierre,

It would help if you could provide more information:

1: Are you a tourest on a long adventure?
2: Are you looking at opportunities to move here?
3: Are you running/hiding from something OR looking for something?
4: Is your budget income from a consistant source?
5: WHAT is you goal?
6: Are you willing to/need to work for food/lodging?
7: Do you or Kia speak spanish?
8: IF you are leaving your own home and thinking you can do better somewhere else, why do you think you can do better in the Dominican Republic?

I ask because many responses do not take into account the difference from the 1 week vacation at MANY levels of the All Inclusives, the part time winter resident, full time home owners with even the differences in condo, home, secure home, farm, retired, business owners. Points of view are... based on each situation looking from the inside out.

My view? Yes you can live on your budget given that you have local family that are willing to "take you in" and guide you.

I'm sure that many on this board know of trusted friends that would invite you into their homes and take care of you for a small rent and honest sharing.

Lots of luck.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm sure that many on this board know of trusted friends that would invite you into their homes and take care of you for a small rent and honest sharing. Lots of luck.

I doubt that - it isn't the Dominican way unless this couple were extended family. And I don't think anyone on this board would be in a position to vouch (to their Dominican friends) for this couple if they don't know them. Not being unkind, just realistic. Don't want to set up false expectations.

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
I think it's worth saying that 'we' as foreigners are a big cause of the drive in prices that we see. Put Cabarete under a microscope and tell me why it's so damn expensive there now.
That being said, the Esso in town seems to be a cheaper fill station than most others.
Easy tiger!
: p.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
budget?

Hi,

Last year, I was living alone in Puerto Plata on a 6000 pesos monthly budget.

1500 for the room
3000 for eating in and out
1500 for movies, second hand book and transportation.

I m going back soon with my girlfriend and we are aiming at Sosua but if necessary we will consider surrounding locations like Cangrejo, Eslabon, Rio San Juan or Cabrera, yet we haven t established our budget.

Is it difficult to find a small and cheap accomodation in Sosua? If you know any place cheap to rent, please let us know, if acceptable in this section of the forum.

we expect to stay in DR from 4 months to a year.

Any comment regarding accomodation, budget or recent inflation is more than welcome.

Thanks ahead,

Kia and Pierre
will your budget this time around be 12.000rd mtly?
if so as you probably know allready will give you more options.
do you walk,read,meditate a lot when you are here?
likewise i have lived here on a small budget before.just intrested to know how you fill the time?
with yer friend along with you it will no doubt make things a lot easier to do.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"FOOD" Will NOT Be A Problem,Once Your Girlfriend Is With You!!!

Reminds me of the Newlyweds who were staying at the rooming house.
Everyone was at, dinner except the "Newlyweds". The guests heard a sound coming from the front hall. They all went out to see what it was. The "Bride" was found totally naked. She was sliding down the banister,running to the top of the stairs,sliding down again,and repeating the process. When they asked what she was doing,she replied, "Warming up dinner for my husband!"

So be sure and get an apartment on the second floor with a 'banister"! At least you will have a "Hot Meal" when you want one! Hope that your girlfriend likes "Tube Steak", she will be eating a lot of that! You surely can't have anything else to eat on 10,000 pesos a month!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Moderator, I think this post of CC's should be a sticky. Probably should go in the section on living in the DR, also.

Besides being practical advice, it is vintage CC.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
12.000 a month for 2 people? good luck to you sir.

i'm planning to try to move there next winter, buy a condo and a car, and then budgeting 50.000 a month for food, gas, hydro, drinks... and i'm still not sure i'd be able to do it on 50K a month.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
why not cut the length of your trip in half and live off of 24K. Even that would be pretty low budget but you can actually enjoy your stay instead of excersizing your tolerance for poor living conditions....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've been laughing all day ... ! Vintage yes. As for the sticky, well now - we're trying to keep it clean in Living...

Chris, future generations are the loser when the work of great masters is not preserved.

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
Yeah, I just noticed that when I went to my 'sacred cow' esso this morning. Seems the 122.90 price on the sign is just a permanent fixture because when I looked at the ACTUAL price on the pump it was more. I then clued in, but not without an argument first. Sadly, like everything else here, it's expensive.
: p.

zephyr1957

Mar 17, 2006
Hi,

Dear Kia and Pierre,

It would help if you could provide more information:

1: Are you a tourest on a long adventure?
2: Are you looking at opportunities to move here?
3: Are you running/hiding from something OR looking for something?
4: Is your budget income from a consistant source?
5: WHAT is you goal?
6: Are you willing to/need to work for food/lodging?
7: Do you or Kia speak spanish?
8: IF you are leaving your own home and thinking you can do better somewhere else, why do you think you can do better in the Dominican Republic?

I ask because many responses do not take into account the difference from the 1 week vacation at MANY levels of the All Inclusives, the part time winter resident, full time home owners with even the differences in condo, home, secure home, farm, retired, business owners. Points of view are... based on each situation looking from the inside out.

My view? Yes you can live on your budget given that you have local family that are willing to "take you in" and guide you.

I'm sure that many on this board know of trusted friends that would invite you into their homes and take care of you for a small rent and honest sharing.

Lots of luck.

Hi,

I m running away from cold, Canada s weather is not to my taste.

In the last 5 years, I was 1 year in Canada, the rest I was in china, Europe and DR.

My dream is to retire at 50 (in 2007) in hot weather and possibly have a little business or a part time job possibly in DR. I speak fluently Spanish, English and French. Kia speaks German and English.

I have for the first time about San Jose de Ocoa. Is it safer? Friendlier? Cheaper?

We are currently in Germany,

Thanks for your contribution,

Kia and Pierre