Living in the Dominican Republic? Here's how to be a better expat

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Those of us who are expats or snowbirds numbering in the thousands on the north coast are hardly even on the radar of the government in Santo Domingo. Outside of our hick or whore mongering towns we have little importance. That seems hard to accept for some of us.

Those who suggest otherwise, have a look at the actual numbers posted above and you will see clearly the reason why. The number of AI tourists numbered in the many millions, so that is why there was, is and always will be a focus on AI tourism (and Cruisers) , and getting those numbers back unless those AI resorts go belly up for some as yet unknown reason like CV20 or CV21. There isn't much the DR can do about Cruisers since they start their cruises outside the DR.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Those of us who are expats or snowbirds numbering in the thousands on the north coast are hardly even on the radar of the government in Santo Domingo. Outside of our hick or whore mongering towns we have little importance. That seems hard to accept for some of us.

Those who suggest otherwise, have a look at the actual numbers posted above and you will see clearly the reason why. The number of AI tourists numbered in the many millions, so that is why there was, is and always will be a focus on AI tourism (and Cruisers) , and getting those numbers back unless those AI resorts go belly up for some as yet unknown reason like CV20 or CV21. There isn't much the DR can do about Cruisers since they start their cruises outside the DR.

I view that as a good thing, at least for the present. As long as we keep our collective noses clean we have no issue with the government here.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Indeed, I am far more powerful than I ever realized. Thank you for noticing.

And what of me Dominican citizenship and my Dominican island born wife, pray tell?
Your wife is Dominican. You are still an expat.? Did you become a DR citizen?

Really doesn't matter since your views are from 19 years ago wigh no change. YAWNNNNN.

• Haha
Reactions: Michael DR

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
We are both whatever we decide to be.
OK...would you like to be a tooth fairy....or the tin man in the wizard of oz?? This statement is a gut buster for me.. I have pains in my side from laughing. Bob, I know you probably wanted to make a statement .... but maybe you have looked at too many movements going on these days with people proclaiming I want to be a girl, or a boy, or the wicked witch of the North. Enjoy your evening and be whoever you want to be. Remember the DR is home of "All inclusive"

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
OK...would you like to be a tooth fairy....or the tin man in the wizard of oz?? This statement is a gut buster for me.. I have pains in my side from laughing. Bob, I know you probably wanted to make a statement .... but maybe you have looked at too many movements going on these days with people proclaiming I want to be a girl, or a boy, or the wicked witch of the North. Enjoy your evening and be whoever you want to be. Remember the DR is home of "All inclusive"
I guess I could have been clearer, for people like you that have to have everything spelled out to them. As Dominican citizens we can decide whether we want to be referred to as expats, or Dominicans. Our choice.

Reactions: jd426

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
I can't get over how pathetic and needy some are. No one gives a fcuk how you want to be addressed. Do you REALLY think that being citizens changes how any think of you? Seriously? It sure as hell didn't improve your personalities LOL

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

Lets not forget that the big promise was that amber cove would bring those Cruiser tourists to the north coast towns and all the way to Santiago...........

Reactions: Michael DR

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
Is there a way to find out more precisely the number of expats currently in the DR? In Puerto Plata, Sosua, The North Coast in general if we could even agree on the boundaries?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I guess I could have been clearer, for people like you that have to have everything spelled out to them. As Dominican citizens we can decide whether we want to be referred to as expats, or Dominicans. Our choice.
I love you sense of humor my friend. Not. Do you really think my comment on such a trivial comment requires this explanation or for the passive aggressive statement of "for people like you to have everything spelled out". You know nothing about "me" or what needs to be spelled out. Put a smile on your face. Laughter in your heart. You'll feel better and don't look at every posting on DR1 as a challenge. Get over it, we're all in this together and absolutely no one on this earth cares if you call yourself an expat, cititzen of Can., legal, illegal, or tooth fairy.
I sincerly hope you will have a day full of love and hope.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well, judging by how many of you got your panties in a twist over an on-line article--- read by 2 dozen people at most, if I had to guess---, I would say the author was kind of spot on.
😆😆😆😆😆

Reactions: SCristo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lets not forget that the big promise was that amber cove would bring those Cruiser tourists to the north coast towns and all the way to Santiago...........
Certainly did not forget that amusingly incorrect promise, but the fees cruisers paid to enter and leave the DR are sorely missed. Those millions of fees from cruisers contributed far more to revenue in the DR than the sum total of expat/snowbird numbers. We expats are merely a drop in the bucket in comparison.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, judging by how many of you got your panties in a twist over an on-line article--- read by 2 dozen people at most, if I had to guess---, I would say the author was kind of spot on.
😆😆😆😆😆
Good for you. I would say she was anything but spot on outside of a few minor points.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Certainly did not forget that amusingly incorrect promise, but the fees cruisers paid to enter and leave the DR are sorely missed. Those millions of fees from cruisers contributed far more to revenue in the DR than the sum total of expat/snowbird numbers. We expats are merely a drop in the bucket in comparison.
Being a drop in the bucket, and therefore being under the radar....is beyond my wildest avarice............

Reactions: windeguy

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014

Many expats love the idea of living in the Dominican Republic… without Dominicans.

A few months ago, an acquaintance was attempting to move with his family to our town in Cabarete. After spending a few weeks exploring different homes, his family decided against it and continued their search elsewhere. The father mentioned that a big part of their decision was driven by how miserable all of the expats in Cabarete are. His experience was that expats are often grumpy and unpleasant to be around because they are not transparent about business transactions and have relied on the lack of infrastructure to exploit their local workers while also spending 99% of their time trash-talking Dominican society and culture.
After years of visiting this forum this is the most accurate description of it I can find, and I see a lot of the replies on this very thread proof this exact point. DR1 generally is good forum to ask questions and learn about how things are done in the country, but don't read past the 1st page of replies, it inevitably unfurls into out of context drivel and reasons why x is broken or worse in this country.

Reactions: johne

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Many expats love the idea of living in the Dominican Republic… without Dominicans.

After years of visiting this forum this is the most accurate description of it I can find, and I see a lot of the replies on this very thread proof this exact point. DR1 generally is good forum to ask questions and learn about how things are done in the country, but don't read past the 1st page of replies, it inevitably unfurls into out of context drivel and reasons why x is broken or worse in this country.
Welcome to just about any forum that is not technical in nature. As far as the accuracy of the OP and the story under discussion, you are entitled to the opinion that you agree. I find that story to be mostly drivel.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Welcome to just about any forum that is not technical in nature. As far as the accuracy of the OP and the story under discussion, you are entitled to the opinion that you agree. I find that story to be mostly drivel.

Completely agree. Outside of here, I don't know a lot of ex pats but none of whom I know disrespect honest hardworking Dominicans.