Living in the DR is cheap

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
...... remember, Chip's budget does not include "Housing Expenses".

Like Cobraboy's budget, which is about $400 a month more than Chip's.

So, where will you live?
In a tin shanty or an ex-pat style home?

Don

REMEMBER Chip's budget included 3 children. You think that's cheap?

Also, my monthly internet/cell/vonage bill of $150 could be cut down more than half easily.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, does your calculation include your housekeeper or did you have to let her go?
And the kids are counting on the BBQ! I would come back now if the baby's father didn't think that the world was going to end if he's not born in the US!
I mismanaged money BADLY last year but it's either "Get disciplined, or stay in the States" and I am definitely not staying here :)
SHALENA

We had to let go of our housekeeper and I'm helping with the chores.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
You people sound like my mum!;)
As long as I have enough cash set aside for a MEDEVAC and enough to buy a car and rent a decent apartment back home should everything cave in then the rest is gravy.

I am still feeling lucky and happy that me and the family are still alive, however.
That still feels sooooo good - I think it has adjusted my priorities a little.
I guess the sensible gene will kick in soon enough.

I totally respect Chip for budgeting well, taking care of his kids and looking out for their future. That is what my parents did for me and that is totally irreplaceable.
For this very reason I think he deserves a little more of the good stuff in life.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Chip, I raised 3 boys overseas a long time ago. Wherever we lived we ate what nutritionists say is the best diet in the world, which also happens to be the Dominican diet, furthermore organic:

fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and white meats.
Chicken and fish for the white meat, and beans and rice for the whole grains.
I can't think of a better dish than my frojoles negros with tons of garlic and onion.

Dominicans are all getting fat and unhealthy like Puerto Ricans because of the good economy, Americanized with Tostitos, Papitas and refined sugar saturated processed foods. They also cut out the fruit and veggies and beans and rice in favor of the easy platanos which screws up the balance. But the old standard is the best in the world.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I will do fine as long as I cut out the TGIFridays :)
SHALENA

I'm no cheapo' but I found TGIF in Santiago really expensive :cry:

Dinner and drinks for 4 came out to be 6,000 pesos when I was there last. Ridiculous!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Dinner and drinks for 4 came out to be 6,000 pesos when I was there last. Ridiculous!!!

You can do a lot better at the remodled restaurant on la called del sol in front of the monument. I wish I knew the name. Food was great and reasonable for such a touristy area and great atmosphere.

Last edited:

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Living

I recently retired from the Postal Service here in the states. Will be moving to the DR later this year. Really been doing my homework and I know I can easily live better on my pension in the DR. That is due mostly to the cheaper rents and fresh local foods. And that would be living around the north coast. In Santiago the rents are much cheaper for much nicer apartments but I prefer being closer to the coast. Plan on buying a used car/SUV and small scooter. I will have plenty of disposable income after expenses considering my lifestyle.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Budget for a 2 week stay

Just curious if anyone would be able to give me a ball park budget for groceries to get me through a 2 week stay and recommended places to find certain items. I'll be in POP, Costambar area and doing mostly my own cooking. I've read the prices per pound etc for a lot of food staples but I'd like to know what kinds of ingredients are readily available like asian cooking ingredients like ginger, soya sauce, oyster sauce, and rice noodles. I eat mainly rice, chicken and fish veggies... salads, fresh fruits. Any recommended places to buy fresh mussels? Is there a good supply of red wine available? I prefer Australian or South African Shiraz or Cabernet, French Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon. I can stomach Spanish or Chilean wine but prefer the others. :cheeky: If the wine's not too good, I'll stick to rum! At least I know there's plenty of that readily available and cheap...too :cheeky::bunny:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Chip, does your calculation include your housekeeper or did you have to let her go?
And the kids are counting on the BBQ! I would come back now if the baby's father didn't think that the world was going to end if he's not born in the US!
I mismanaged money BADLY last year but it's either "Get disciplined, or stay in the States" and I am definitely not staying here :)
SHALENA

Is he expecting his son to sponsor him to the US when he grows up? See, he might end up here anyway. ;)

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
I recently retired from the Postal Service here in the states. Will be moving to the DR later this year. Really been doing my homework and I know I can easily live better on my pension in the DR. That is due mostly to the cheaper rents and fresh local foods. And that would be living around the north coast. In Santiago the rents are much cheaper for much nicer apartments but I prefer being closer to the coast. Plan on buying a used car/SUV and small scooter. I will have plenty of disposable income after expenses considering my lifestyle.

Rent is cheaper than in NY. For $400US/month in Sosua you can find some budget accomodation. Do not expect it to be clean nor safe.

Food is more expensive than in NY. Even "local" and from locals. Forget about Playero or such.

Cars are about 50% more expensive than in NY and in more killed-down condition.
Gas is about 50% more expensive than in NY.

Electricity is more expensive. But you do not have to pay for heating as there is no winter. And you need no winter clothes.

INternet is 30-50% more expensive. Ditto medications.

Electronics and appliances 50% more expensive than in NY and often NY`s store returns or refurbished. No real warranty at all.

If currently you live in a more or less cold place and in your age this drastic change to constantly hot and humid climate may not be goot to your health and longevity.

Do yourself a good service - come down here to stay for six months not in a hotel and then recalculate.

You are not in the age to take chances.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Is he expecting his son to sponsor him to the US when he grows up? See, he might end up here anyway. ;)

That may be the case!!! :) He is very adamant on birth in the US and his apellido!!! Oh well, he'll know where to get in contact with Me in Santiago! I am not USA material, hate it! How funny, right? :)
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

It wasn't much less with myself and the kids, even though they ordered from the kids menu it usually ended up between 3,000-3,500 RD. And some weeks we were going twice!!! But that was always my idea, can't blame the kids. I'm also addicted to Marisco Centro but I am in therapy now so I can kick my restaurant, fast food habit!!?
SHALENA

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Not in civil engineering in Florida. ... This is typical of central Florida and it's worse in Miami. I'm sure I could have gotten a job in timbuktu MI but at what expense? We're in depression levels in FL.

Take it easy with the Michigan bashing :p . Heck, could you even really get a job in Michigan? Last I heard my favorite peninsula was the worst off in the whole country.

Cars are about 50% more expensive than in NY and in more killed-down condition.
Gas is about 50% more expensive than in NY.

Electricity is more expensive. But you do not have to pay for heating as there is no winter. And you need no winter clothes.

Internet is 30-50% more expensive. Ditto medications.

Electronics and appliances 50% more expensive than in NY and often NY`s store returns or refurbished. No real warranty at all.

Do yourself a good service - come down here to stay for six months not in a hotel and then recalculate.

Not sure about food being more. Many medical services are cheaper too. Generic medications are cheap (anything that can't be found generic will cost you plenty). Electricty is expensive (and a hassle) but once one gets used to not having A/C , and only turning on the water pump/heater on when used it's not so bad. Everything else I agree with.

Rbh44, a lot of that fresh food down here depends on the season. We go through seasons where finding a decent tomato, head of lettuce, cucumber, lime, potato takes 10 minutes of digging through the produce (if it is to be found at all) that applies to some other vegetables as well. So don't bet on eating juicy ripe mangoes and avocados all year long. 'Cause that just ain't happening.

Of course, rice, beans and platanos are to be found all year long but that gets boring very quick.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Rbh44, a lot of that fresh food down here depends on the season. We go through seasons where finding a decent tomato, head of lettuce, cucumber, lime, potato takes 10 minutes of digging through the produce (if it is to be found at all) that applies to some other vegetables as well. So don't bet on eating juicy ripe mangoes and avocados all year long. 'Cause that just ain't happening.

Of course, rice, beans and platanos are to be found all year long but that gets boring very quick.

We get fresh lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onions, oranges etc. (less mangoes and avocados) year round no problem here in Santiago. You need to find a better produce stand.

?

? bient?t

Tim and Chip
Went out to the market
Looking for food
Found three chicas
But they were two
So Chip bucked one and Timbuktu

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
We get fresh lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onions, oranges etc. (less mangoes and avocados) year round no problem here in Santiago. You need to find a better produce stand.

Rbh44 doesn't want to live here in Santiago.

Though my point is this, yes it exists but is it decent? I'm not talking about put-it-on-the-front-page ad looking produce but rather something that isn't dry/immature or brown and deformed.

Tiny green tomatoes, wilted lettuce, bad corn (on the cob),browning oranges and tasteless/dry cucumbers honestly to me do not denote "fresh" even if they were just recently plucked.

As far as I know, this country only has 1 seasonal region (Climate 10:tropical) and thus everything here has 1 growing season (imports not withstanding) thus it is normal to be hard pressed to find somethings at different points of the year.

Anyhow, some months are better than others. I shop at La Nacional and Central and I imagine you do too, if you have any recommendations for better produce I'll be happy to hear it. Next time I go I'll take pictures.

I doubt the debate on produce will be anyone's deal-breaker for deciding to come here or not just making the point that if you are planning on living off of fresh produce don't expect some sort of tropical cornucopia year round. Quality control is often lacking, limited growing seasons and sub-US levels of farming techniques/seeds/fertilizer often leave one wanting, even if the package says "Premium".

That all said, often you can find some great bananas (organics that are too large/ripe for shipping to Europe), mandarins, papayas, pine apple, avocados, mangoes, on and on when the time is right.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
veg is supposed to be slightly deformed, but I must admit its a bit lacking here on the north coast

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I can't speak for Santiago, but we find wonderful fruits and vegetables in and around Santo Domingo - and NOT in supermarkets. Our favorite stop is the mercado on the malecon near the Presidente plant. We buy all our produce there, eggs, some meats, etc. They also sell bulk rice [several types] and dried beans of all sorts.

We never leave Playa Palenque without stopping at the multitude of makeshift stands along the road - super fresh and half the price of the city.

AE