'Living in the DR - ways to save money and world's resources'

web

Nov 5, 2005
The soil is so rich and fertile here, you can grow anything. Toss out some seeds.

Veggies - Tomatoes, peppers, onions, yamas, yucca, platanos, habichuela, eggplant (berenjena), lettuce, cabbage (repollo), rice, carrots, beets y mas

Fruits - Pina, pears, cherries, mangoes, zapote, bananas, oranges, tangerines, tamarindos,

Help, my brain stopped

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
We're from the northern US and there are alot of things that will eat/destroy your garden up there. Is it the same here? Are bugs a problem? We wondered why the poor people in the villages didn't raise their own food instead of starving. We thought maybe we could help them with gardens.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We're from the northern US and there are alot of things that will eat/destroy your garden up there. Is it the same here? Are bugs a problem? We wondered why the poor people in the villages didn't raise their own food instead of starving. We thought maybe we could help them with gardens.
Poor people in villages aren't starving.

There are gardens everywhere. Almost every family with a small plot of land grows something.

To think a First Worlder can come to the DR and explain "farming" and gardens to folks living in an incredibly fertile area is laughable.

Corey H, you need to get around the DR more.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Poor people in villages aren't starving.

There are gardens everywhere. Almost every family with a small plot of land grows something.

To think a First Worlder can come to the DR and explain "farming" and gardens to folks living in an incredibly fertile area is laughable.

Corey H, you need to get around the DR more.

HaHaHa ... just to be fair, it's kinda hard to explain to outsiders how "poor" people can own their homes and land without ever having a mortgage (thus, no foreclosure worries here). Or how they buy a car without 5 year financing.

It's a very different world outside of "our" beloved USA.

;)

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Thanks for the info. Cobraboy, I've only been to the villages a few times but even in those few times I've seen people who are going hungry. We didn't see these gardens and wondered why, in a country like this, they wouldn't grow more of their own food. Seeing people in need and wanting to help doesn't need to be met with sarcasm. Thanks.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
to save money on toothpaste you can hammer the tube flat and put a little clip on it - I believe Prince Charles does this

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008

hmm well from what ive seen they cut all vegetation, throw down a few seeds and then all the soil disappears down the hill in the heavy rain and the garden is left with more rocks than soil

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
BTW, don't mind me ... I'm just here hijacking yanandu's thread. Although, it is the kind of stuff that he wanted to discuss!!!

Right yanandu??

:pirate:

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
The states have been hit by some ferocious storms. And with hurricane season coming up ....

what should I stock up on (milk,water, bread seem to disappear but I want to know what else)?
how much notice do people usually get before something like that hits ?
what would be a good first-aid/emergency kit to have on hand?
who do YOU call for help when things like that occur?

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Will I save more money by keeping my bank account in Dollars, or in Pesos? Which is better?

I think people would want to know.