Living in the DR

Pomli

Sep 17, 2004
girls, you are lucky to study in some touristic program hehe! I also fell in love with that country, but wonder if they hire chemical engineer :p I prefer living in less materialistic world and be happy with what I have, and in a world where values exist. I am disgusted by how peole use their money here to buy the last high-tech thing, or expensive clothes, aesthetic, and other things so they look good, and then go to out as much as they can so they can show what they've got, using money in a way so they become depend and lazy, and so to keep them happy. All those things are nice, but should material keep us happy?! The answer is no for me. Lately, I heard from my friend about the rich family (the father is doctor) she has been baby-sitting form 9 months now and my god, thw way they use their money and raise their children just make me sick! My friend only wish to come back here, to be away to all money-related issue and to babysit children that are way less spoiled that them! For rich people, a single thing offered with heart is worthless for them. Anyways, it's not all people here that are like that, spending as crazy, but some of my friends really depict this picture...

abba23 said:
Hey Matalana

I understand you totally. Cos its exactly the way I feel. I just recently visited the DR and I felt like I was home. It felt weird feeling like that and my brothers and sisters laughed at me but thats how I felt. Its an amazing place and the people are so happy and unmaterialistic. I live in England and I cannot have a good enough life without having money and lots of it. Its just the way it is and I really don't like living here. Its cold and wet and people are so stressed and depressed. DR was not like that Ive never met so many laid back people. My step dad moved over to Puerto Plata 2 1/2 years ago and the change in him is amazing he is really happy. So I am determined to move there as soon as possible. I have just graduated from university with a degree in Tourism Management and am also learning Spanish. My friends probably don't believe me that Im going but I am working hard to save up and maybe I will see you there! :)

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
I moved here at 18 and do not regret it at all! This is an amazing country with a wide variety of things to learn and experiencing the culture of these people is a once in a lifetime experience.

I think it is great that you are finishing with school first and learning spanish before you come! Very intelligent! I didn't finish college and I didnt know a lick of spanish when I came here, I am still learning and I have been here for a year and a half.

It's a stressful life here and can get very frustrating at times, but you will love it here! Keep the faith!

SSssssiiiidddddd

Pomli

Sep 17, 2004
Hey Cid,
What cause the stress of being in DR? Is it work, life..? Could you give us some info ?! :)

CabareteCid said:
I moved here at 18 and do not regret it at all! This is an amazing country with a wide variety of things to learn and experiencing the culture of these people is a once in a lifetime experience.

I think it is great that you are finishing with school first and learning spanish before you come! Very intelligent! I didn't finish college and I didnt know a lick of spanish when I came here, I am still learning and I have been here for a year and a half.

It's a stressful life here and can get very frustrating at times, but you will love it here! Keep the faith!

SSssssiiiidddddd

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Follow that dream!!

I too knew I would eventually move to the Caribbean when I first saw it - oh so many years ago. Stay with your dreams. You might want to check out Samana.net and start looking at the Dutch run hotels on this end of the Island - Punto de Oro - I think although the owners speak German together, 0ne friend told me that the top guy speaks it with a Dutch accent. Also Casa Hollodais - The Germans were apparently in this area first, then Italians, then French - from what I can observe. Your language skills would make you most valuable here. And certainly I go along with everyone who says that you need to study- at least finish high school - but after that...... Don't bother to lock yourself up in the university learning how to run a hotel. Come down and run a hotel.... Be sure to bring the guitar.

Elizabeth

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
mountainannie said:
I too knew I would eventually move to the Caribbean when I first saw it - oh so many years ago. Stay with your dreams. You might want to check out Samana.net and start looking at the Dutch run hotels on this end of the Island - Punto de Oro - I think although the owners speak German together, 0ne friend told me that the top guy speaks it with a Dutch accent. Also Casa Hollodais - The Germans were apparently in this area first, then Italians, then French - from what I can observe. Your language skills would make you most valuable here. And certainly I go along with everyone who says that you need to study- at least finish high school - but after that...... Don't bother to lock yourself up in the university learning how to run a hotel. Come down and run a hotel.... Be sure to bring the guitar.

Elizabeth
Although I agree with you on the kid wasting time in college when he or she wants to own a business.

Colleges only teach fact and academics, they don't teach people how to make money. However, if the kid thinks that by having a college degree he would feel important, than by all means go to college. Attending college will never hurt anybody.

Anyways, if the kid decides to not attend college, it would be wise of him/her to take at least a few college courses - not towards a degree. A slight understanding of the human psychology, money management, and accounting among other things will give any entrepreneur an edge in understanding the way people are and the best way to conduct business, etc.

So kid, at the very minimum take a few college courses so that you can enrich your understanding of the world. Such knowledge goes a long way in many types of businesses and professions.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Nal0whs said:
Although I agree with you on the kid wasting time in college when he or she wants to own a business.

Colleges only teach fact and academics, they don't teach people how to make money. However, if the kid thinks that by having a college degree he would feel important, than by all means go to college. Attending college will never hurt anybody.

Anyways, if the kid decides to not attend college, it would be wise of him/her to take at least a few college courses - not towards a degree. A slight understanding of the human psychology, money management, and accounting among other things will give any entrepreneur an edge in understanding the way people are and the best way to conduct business, etc.

So kid, at the very minimum take a few college courses so that you can enrich your understanding of the world. Such knowledge goes a long way in many types of businesses and professions.

Are you guys crazy?
How can you encourage this kid into not continuing collage and get a degree? Having a degree is what will give this kid the edge over many others that have the same interests in life as this kid.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
college or education?

I was going to go on for a doctorate but decided to travel and work and found that I learned far more about the world on the road. But I had college under my belt. It is a good discipline,certainly, and very useful if you have learned languages or science or engineering or perhaps, even, how to think. But not so useful if you spend the entire time dreaming of being somewhere else.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Mr_DR said:
Are you guys crazy?
How can you encourage this kid into not continuing collage and get a degree? Having a degree is what will give this kid the edge over many others that have the same interests in life as this kid.
If the kid wants to go to college, than that's good for him. If he doesn't, well he don't really have to, that's all I'm saying.

People don't need a college degree to be either successful or happy in life. It's just that you better have a good working ethic and an entrepreneural spirit if you want to be really successful without a degree, then again, you also need it with a degree, so its really up to him.

If he is the type that like to follow and simply go with the flow, then getting a degree in something would be wise.

If he thinks for himself and likes to lead instead of following, then he does not have to go, but if he wants to, he should.

However, I do suggest for him to take a few key courses (psychology, money management, etc) that would help most people in understanding general people. Such understanding gives an entrepreneur an advantage to most.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Nal0whs said:
If the kid wants to go to college, than that's good for him. If he doesn't, well he don't really have to, that's all I'm saying.

People don't need a college degree to be either successful or happy in life. It's just that you better have a good working ethic and an entrepreneural spirit if you want to be really successful without a degree, then again, you also need it with a degree, so its really up to him.

If he is the type that like to follow and simply go with the flow, then getting a degree in something would be wise.

If he thinks for himself and likes to lead instead of following, then he does not have to go, but if he wants to, he should.

However, I do suggest for him to take a few key courses (psychology, money management, etc) that would help most people in understanding general people. Such understanding gives an entrepreneur an advantage to most.
Yes Nal0whs, I understand you perfectly but what I was looking for in your post was that is true that you may succeed because there have been a handful out of millions that have done it. But the fact is that without a degree this kid would have to settle on what they can offer not on what he wants.

The kid stated that he wants to be a hotel manager, at the time he posted this message he was 17 on a 4 year degree he is only 21 with a degree and some work experience associated in the hotel industry if he would play his cards right.

Now you would tell me what would be certain and what would be a white flying horse.