Living off a Small Business in Sosua

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
crust

Nal0whs said:
Trust me when I tell you that being part of the "upper crust" is stressful too. The stress comes via different ways, but in the end its all stress!

Wow! I wasn't going to depress them further. Of course it is but when you can afford it, It is not so bad and sometimes it is the stress that makes you go on. I have enough stress to last my life time and lots of others too. However, I survived, I HOPE!!!!!!

Doodoo

Jun 1, 2004
It's not me

Lambada said:
You have a name that is pronounced the same as another poster. Interesting.............. ;)

Good afternoon guys....................this is very interesting, but my name is Doodoo, not Doudou

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The rules.

doudou said:
Hi all,
My husband and I are planning on investing and living in the Sosua region. I just wanted to get some war stories from present residents who have done the same.

Take care all,
D.
The rules..
1) Move here first.
2) Have enough money to survive the first year.
3) Work for somebody else, so that you understand the system.
4) Learn the language
5) Assertain after a period of time that you still love living here.
6) Open a business that is difficult for others to imitate.
7) Attend to your business like it was a newborn baby.

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
DOU DOU or DON'T DON'T

doudou said:
Hi all,
My husband and I are planning on investing and living in the Sosua region. I just wanted to get some war stories from present residents who have done the same.

Take care all,
D.

Hi Doudou!

We've just returned from a real estate search in the Purto Plata area (Sosua/Cabarete)
There are many, many bars and restaurants for sale and looking them over may take some time. We also considered the same as I've been in the business over 27 years. One thing about buying the raw land and building is LOCATION, as you'll see even those with LOCATION, are closed or dwindling and for sale. You may be able to find a turn key operation, something small to start off with, but better to be there awhile and get a feel for the clientele you'll be serving.

One someone who you may want to speak with is Marc from Rocky's bar in Sosua. He's been there awhile and has quite a grasp of the area. Do yourself a favor and possibly live there for awhile. It's probably the best advice I've gotten. :bunny:

Best of luck!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have been going to Sosua for years. My take on the DR was that you should have your head examined if you come here and "HAVE" to make a living.

My thoughts have changed slightly. I think this is the land of opportunity and I think this is the right time to start out. I think that if you are fairly sharp, seek out good advice, tighten your belt, have a good idea, don't get screwed in your first 5 times you spend money you may be able to make it here if you are lucky.

I started investing money here about 6 years ago and then started investing in real estate 1.5 years ago and have been happy as a lark. Only problem is I went from retired to semi retired which I didn't want to do. I don't have any interest in a daily business because that would be way too much work for me and I would probably have a breakdown if I had to be anywhere at a certain time.

Good luck but network, figure it out first, believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see and good luck.

Scott

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Escott said:
...My thoughts have changed slightly. I think this is the land of opportunity and I think this is the right time to start out. I think that if you are fairly sharp, seek out good advice, tighten your belt, have a good idea, don't get screwed in your first 5 times you spend money you may be able to make it here if you are lucky....

I'm with Scott on this - just add something to the list - sufficient capital to start up whatever you are thinking about and a very clear knowledge of the market that you are going after.

The time is right....! The Dominican Republic has not been one of our markets in our body and bath care products distribution business, but it is now firmly in our marketing plan. Btw, at the risk of p*ssing Robert off, I am looking for a very sharp bilingual sales person - not for the DR, for other islands but based in the DR. So, all of you wanting a job here in the DR, this is a real job, but you have to be a very accomplished sales person, used to writing your own check, finding your own leads, and building your own business.

OK, OK, I'm going to pay my 20 bucks on the advertising site now!

I am also looking for someone in the DR, or wanting to come to the DR, with good experience in body care product retail operations, similar to The Body Shop concept. It would be an advantage if you have franchise type experience and can scout out locations, do the set-up and manage the operation.

Now, how is that for opportunity - Two jobs going right now right here in Paradise! Click on my name and send me an e-mail ---

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I Wonder Why...

timelessdreams said:
Hi Doudou!

We've just returned from a real estate search in the Purto Plata area (Sosua/Cabarete)
There are many, many bars and restaurants for sale and looking them over may take some time. We also considered the same as I've been in the business over 27 years. One thing about buying the raw land and building is LOCATION, as you'll see even those with LOCATION, are closed or dwindling and for sale. You may be able to find a turn key operation, something small to start off with, but better to be there awhile and get a feel for the clientele you'll be serving.

One someone who you may want to speak with is Marc from Rocky's bar in Sosua. He's been there awhile and has quite a grasp of the area. Do yourself a favor and possibly live there for awhile. It's probably the best advice I've gotten. :bunny:

Best of luck!

Just wonder why there are so many bars for sale? That should tell you everything. Your bar has to be better than 80% of the others to make it here. Otherwise you are just surviving. So if you can be in the top 20% then you should be okay. You need to be smart smart and damn lucky too.
Best of Luck

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Why so many bars for sale?

Snuffy said:
Just wonder why there are so many bars for sale? That should tell you everything. Your bar has to be better than 80% of the others to make it here. Otherwise you are just surviving. So if you can be in the top 20% then you should be okay. You need to be smart smart and damn lucky too.
Best of Luck

Because they are not making money and it is 24/7. I have seen it so many times before. As I said once before I lived in Spain for a number of years and so many people thought that they could "RETIRE" at thirtyfive and live in the sinshine running a little bar. No you cannot.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Bars

Rocky said:
I like operating my bar in the "sinshine"...
Freudian slip???

Sorry. Yes I am sure you do but thie is not for me.

If you go back I said " Ask Rocky "

I am now too old to run any business, however my wife insists she is going to run a dairy farm on our property.

Looking forward to the ribs. We are coming mid August. thanks for your help.
On Supercarros, there is a diesel Kia Pick up or whatever --- It looks OK. What do you think.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Just joking

Wales said:
Sorry. Yes I am sure you do but thie is not for me.

If you go back I said " Ask Rocky "

I am now too old to run any business, however my wife insists she is going to run a dairy farm on our property.

Looking forward to the ribs. We are coming mid August. thanks for your help.
On Supercarros, there is a diesel Kia Pick up or whatever --- It looks OK. What do you think.

I was just having fun with your typo "SINshine"
Anyhow, that went over like a screen door on a submarine, so, back to trucks, I have seen some Daihatsus in good condition for approx. 300,00 pesos.
Below that, they all seem to be junkers.
Kias seem to be built even cheaper than cheap.
We'll see when you get here and I want the first quart of milk to go with my apple pie.
Marco.