Living on the North Coast

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Twit

Jerry K said:
Redsand, now you know why Wales proudly wears the nameplate "English Twit". He means well but sometimes reacts too quick.

Surelly you mean : quickly Ask Grahame he evidently is the English expert.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Redsand,
The rest of us understood you just fine. Please ignore ET. He doesn't live here yet. A lot of the rest of us do. But you've done well! Jumped that hurdle (seriously, he isn't the DR1 initiation test!). Tiberius can speak for himself, but he may have been meaning Costambar isn't everyone's cup of tea. Basically, you'll need transport if you live there, quite a few gringos which may or may not be to your liking. Sosua & Cabarete have many gringos, too. Puerto Plata has fewer. If surfin's the game then Cabarete is the place. Are both of you coming? Or just you plus Rambling Cat?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Escott said:
This is the 3rd world or maybe 4th world.
Scott

I can take 3rd world, but 4th world? Oh common!

If the DR was 4th world, there would be no internet, no paved roads, no tourism, no nothing!

Let the kid live a little, it will help him develop a character that would suit him well for the rest of his life, especially if he makes it in the DR! But don't scare him with false statements!

Again, 3rd world yes (with pockets of 1st world), but 4th world, oh no!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Nal0whs said:

If the DR was 4th world, there would be no internet, no paved roads, no tourism, no nothing!

Let the kid live a little, it will help him develop a character that would suit him well for the rest of his life, especially if he makes it in the DR! But don't scare him with false statements!

I agree, Nal0whs, but I prefer "developing world". It shows it has some place to go, unlike "developed world", meaning stuck where it is!
I think Redsand will do just fine here. Already done a lot of things for a 23 year old.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Nal0whs said:

I was referring to the 4th world with Electric, non potable water, government that eats its young and people that keep electing and re-electing them. These things I have never seen before. I said it was third and leaned towards 4th.

Roads and internet services are better than 3rd world. There is tourism everywhere having no effect on worldly status. Just lower percentage.

I am not saying this fellow shouldn't come here rather I am just trying to tell him that :

- Hopefully no trash in the ocean (?)

This isn't likely! Look out for raw sewerage and don't worry about the trash.

You want to see trash? Go to Cabarete beach any Sunday evening. Some of these people leave everything where they drop it.

- Electricity - fairly reliable ( seems like a big "if" ? )

HAH! I actually have no problems with it but most people do.
Sometimes there is so little electric my friends cant charge their inverter batteries for days. Maybe 5th world:)

- A/C or fans because...

Possible

- Friendly enough apartment/condo for my cat who would be coming with me

Wouldn't know. I would NOT rent my condo to someone with a cat. I even rent them as NON SMOKING

- Security

Possible

- Internet access

Possible

- 300-400 a month

NOT possible. They are building new condos on Cabarete beach now that start at 300,000 US Dollars. Cabarete is on the rise just as Sosua is.

Good luck finding what you are looking for because I don't think you will come close. If you do I would like to know because I should be able to buy up some bargain property from the dopes that are renting to you. LOL

Someone once before promised me a beach front condo in Cabarete for 100k US dollars. When I went to see it, it wasn't on Cabarete Beach and I couldnt even see the damn ocean from the condo. This is the land of make believe and people saying things and even selling things that they dont even own:)

When you think you have seen it all you haven't seen anything yet. If the story doesn't start with " You aint gonna believe this sh1t" it aint gonna be a good story.

Sorry if I am telling this guy how I see it but I don't want to lead him down the garden path.

Miko

May 23, 2003
Hey

Redsand,
you may want to look into:
www.windsofcabarete.com
then go to their for sale section. I saw an ad renting a beachfront at $200-250/month. This site is for kiters and windsurfers often looking for lower budget places. I thinks this place is in the outskirts. In town itself, you will have a hard time, as mentioned, the real estate in Cabarete as gone nuts in the last 2 years.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
okay I lived in Cabarete for almost three years and was partners in a kitesurfing school. Here's the lowdown from my perspective being a 38 year old woman with good travel experience (south america, asia, mexico, europe), active, etc.

Beach; The beaches are nice in cAbarete but there is trash. all one has to do is walk the beach from Magnifico to the river. No trash in the water but yes on the beach. Worse when rain or current comes from the left (happens maybe 4x/year max).

Rent on Beach: You can definitely find deals but they are getting harder to come by because of increased popularity of CAbarete and the out of control RE hikes. I rented a very nice 1 bedroom apt steps from the beach with ocean view from my large 2nd floor terrace behind hotel magnifico for $400 per month. BUT, this was when electricity was running better. My bill for electricity and maid (2x per week) was about $50-75 with no conservation (fans running all the time about 3 of them, lights on). Now the electricity situation is pretty bad. My friend moved into the apt after me and the owner had to connect the building to Magnifico's generator because there was never enough street power to recharge the batteries. Some examples of rent:
instructors living behind tropical goleta near kite beach in dominican neighbor. generator power, ceiling fans only. 3 bedroom house $390. Basic. 1 bedroom apt $200. took them 3 months to get internet and his girlfriend is dominican i.e. speaks spanish! Instructors living in pro cab area (gated area behind main street of CAbarete) rent goes for $300-$1200 depdning on where you want to live. There are still houses for rent on the streets where velero hotel and magnifico hotel are lcoated (oceanfront properties) for $400-650 per month, not including utilities/internet. Sorry I don't know how much internet is as I didn't pay the bill:)

GYM; If you live in CAbarete, you want work at at Viva Tangerine for $1500RD!

Internet: Pretty damn reliable. If not connected it will take minimum 3 months to get a phone first, THEN request your internet line. Don't recommend this for anybody. It sucked when we moved.

Lifestyle/scene: definitely fun for a 23 year old during winter and summer when there's more people in town.

Surf: Not great but can be fun. I'm from California and am used to better. I don't surf but I kitesurf. Grew up around it all my life so I know good conditions.

redsand

Jul 3, 2004
Hi Miko,

Didn't find it on there - but great site!

Thanks Marina for the very informative post. Yes, it does sound like the power situation is bad. Hmmm... Well if only California was cheap!? Ha! =)

By the way, would you say the water on the Pacific Coast was as nice as the Caribbean? I would think there are some places that are - but some that aren't. Crystal clear color wise, etc..

Thx
red

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
who is ET ? I thought he was that stupid thing from outer space who had three nuts ( ET the extra testical)

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Mind numbing

Crystal clear turquoise, sometimes >100 foot visibility, appeared to me to be very similar as Caribbean side. Santo Domingo area at least.

Serious beautiful water.