Lobster in Punta Cana

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Ok,,,is Ocean Blue Resort near Occidental Grand punta cana?? Is the Mamjuana liquor store also? If so, I will seek it out.
As I said before, I had lobster (not sure which kind) in Cabarete,,,,it was a total rip off...very very expensive,,,and honestly, and I dont bull****,,,,the lobster tail - meat section, was the size of my thumb. I was outraged,,,and to boot, it tasted like rubber. Not sweet,,,just yuk. I love the lobster we eat in St.Maartins,,,,or on the East coast of Canada. If in fact I can find this restaurant, I would give it another shot. Guess I would just ask a bunch of questions before ordering. Thanks for all your comments.
LOL.. They weren't much help going on and on about Maine Lobsters when you are talking Caribbean Lobster....;p
lobster8.jpg

Where are you going to in Local?? Punta Cana?

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Yes Sam we are staying at the Occidental Grand PUnta Cana in Punta Cana......so was just trying to see what the options are in the close proximity of that resort. As I said would like to give Lobster another try in D.R.,,,,Just wondering if the Ocean Blue resort or restaurant is near. Note: have never been in the Punta Cana area,,,,,only one trip to Caberete and the lobster there was not that great as I described.

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
There is "Captain Cook's" down the beach from you.. They are a little pricey because they are in the middle of Bavaro Beach.. Home to the "All Inclusive" Hotels... You could also9 walk down the beach to Sole's Chill Out Bar which is a great place w/ excellent food.. Ask them if they could prepair you a Lobster and tell Taro Capt. Sam sent you.. U won't be disappointed this time..LOL

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Lobster

Also down on the beach at MACAU..... Go to one of the beach side restaurants and negotiate your price while looking at a big Spiny Caribbean Lobster..(much better tasting than a New England lobster). They split and roast them over a grill... w/ butter and garlic... Possibly 20 dollars for a real nice 2+ pounder...

I find it hard to believe that you have ever tasted New England lobster, otherwise you could never state that spiny caribbean lobster is better tasting.
I have lived in New England and upon first moving there ate lobster until it came out my ears. I lived in Florida for 8 years (where I dove for local Lobster) and now 6 years here in the D.R. I can enjoy spiny lobster however it doesn't even come close in taste to the cold water lobster from the north east.
Chef's world wide would take my side on the lobster debate.
having said this i will be sure to try the lobster over at the beach at Macau.
thanks for tip

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Ok,,,is Ocean Blue Resort near Occidental Grand punta cana?? Is the Mamjuana liquor store also? If so, I will seek it out.
As I said before, I had lobster (not sure which kind) in Cabarete,,,,it was a total rip off...very very expensive,,,and honestly, and I dont bull****,,,,the lobster tail - meat section, was the size of my thumb. I was outraged,,,and to boot, it tasted like rubber. Not sweet,,,just yuk. I love the lobster we eat in St.Maartins,,,,or on the East coast of Canada. If in fact I can find this restaurant, I would give it another shot. Guess I would just ask a bunch of questions before ordering. Thanks for all your comments.
Where was it you ate in Cabarete?? I would review them in Trip Advisor and tell folks about the lobster ripoff....

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Please be aware of the dates of the posts. Domestic lobster fishing is banned from Mar 1 to Jun 30. Therefore any live lobster to be cooked and consumed within this time frame has been obtained illegally. Frozen lobster or out of the can is not the same as fresh cooked.

New England lobster is the best. It is great fresh out the pot after they stop screaming. Be sure to wear a bib and have plenty of melted butter handy. Some steamed clams on the side are good too. All goes well with a cold Presidente. Ahhh summer dreams of seaside feasts.

Regards,

PJT

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Lobster Season Closed?????

Please be aware of the dates of the posts. Domestic lobster fishing is banned from Mar 1 to Jun 30. Therefore any live lobster to be cooked and consumed within this time frame has been obtained illegally. Frozen lobster or out of the can is not the same as fresh cooked. Regards, PJT

WOW... You would not know it from my Travels around here.. I see it in the stores fresh (just saw some at the Mini Mart here at Cap Cana)... and it never leaves the menu at ANY restaurant.... How would you get the restaurants at the beaches to quit serving them??? . I don't think anyone here practices that.. Do you know of a link or official site that states the dates etc. ??

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
WOW... You would not know it from my Travels around here.. I see it in the stores fresh (just saw some at the Mini Mart here at Cap Cana)... and it never leaves the menu at ANY restaurant.... How would you get the restaurants at the beaches to quit serving them??? . I don't think anyone here practices that.. Do you know of a link or official site that states the dates etc. ??
Don't you know Dominican way?
The date is set and no one will follow the law....
And the big guys have probably all all the excuses....
They will say, "we bought this before the date" or "Some guy exported it and other guy imported it" and suckers like you and I pays around $1000 a lobster meal in near by restaurant.

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Notice they didn't say anything about the local guys going out and getting 6-10 ea day and selling them to whomever.. Just Meat processing and large amounts.. 700 LBS?? what about 100-200 lbs??

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
What you probably had before was not lobster but a small cray fish called langustina. I don't believe you will find lobster this time of year. The fishing ban is on this time of year. The lobster are off limits.

LTSteve

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Lobsters?

What you probably had before was not lobster but a small cray fish called langustina. I don't believe you will find lobster this time of year. The fishing ban is on this time of year. The lobster are off limits.

LTSteve
Having grown up in S. Florida, The Bahamas, and the VI, I believe I have seen enough to be able to tell them apart..... I have seen for sale recently Florida Lobster, (Crawfish) and the Spanish Lobsters, which are smaller.... Both for sale almost everywhere...... Walk to any beach restaurant and order one.... Bet you will get it.... All I am saying is the Ban does not work well here.. No Enforcement, unless they catch you red handed w/ a big load...

May 29, 2006
I'm thinking some places are now either pre-cooking their lobsters or getting them frozen to make it easier to keep in stock. If you don't see a live tank, you might want to wonder why. I wouldn't be surprised if it's cheaper to get them flown over from the Turks and Caicos islands already processed than keeping them alive and transporting them around in boxes of seaweed.

Personally I think Spiny Lobster are over-rated. There's plenty-o-fish in the sea...

May 29, 2006
The best seafood I've had in the DR was at some beach bar. Some fisherman was walking by with his catch and the bartender knew him. I bought a couple reef fish off of him(at prob double the price) and the bartender cooked them up for me with some rice in exchange for her getting a free meal out of it. I think they were French Grunts. Some fish, rice, fried plantains and beer with a cute bartender to keep me company. I'll take that over a lobster any day..

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I, too, have had lobster in many places...New England, US East Coast, US West Coast, Spain, Russia, Japan, etc. So far, the lobster in the DR has not measured up. But I'm not completely convinced it's the lobster itself, but the cooking method. Not too long ago, a friend bought fresh lobster and cooked it US style -- that is, steamed in a big pot whole. Then I cracked it myself and ate it with melted butter. It was pretty good. No great but much better to my taste buds than the typical Dominican style...split and grilled with too much spice. Just my opinion. But if I were a tourist, I would not bother with lobster here in the Dominican. Save your money and eat it back at home!

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
If you listen to the naysayers you'll miss out. I've had lobster throughout the northeast USA. Nothing that I've been served has it on some broiled lobster main courses that I enjoyed in Casa del Mar in Bayahibe. Although the hotel is all-inclusive, they offer lobster entr?es for $30US. Hmmmmm, so finger-licking good I've ordered twice during all my stays there. I know you're looking for a restaurant and not a hotel: The point is that you can find what you're looking for. Bon appetit.