Lonely planet ranks the Dominican Republic in its top 10 destinations for 2013

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Lonely Planet was found guilty of having one of their independent staff writers write a whole book on Colombia while never having visited the country.

He gleaned most of the information off a Colombian woman he met in Los Angeles, California. She was never credited for her contributions. When confronted with this situation, they remained unapologetic, never took the book off the shelves or published any sort of explanation. They said the info was good and left it at that.

I can't think of anything more irresponsible and intentionally misleading than that.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I remember being surprised because the DR is not very popular with lonely planet crowd

Best in Travel 2013 - Top 10 countries - Best in Travel - Lonely Planet

. Dominican Republic
The Caribbean's 'Next Big Thing'
Best for: Activities, value for money, events

In the first quarter of 2012 the Dominican Republic saw an 8.4% increase in tourism. With more airlines offering stops to the country’s eight international airports, as well as cruise ships adding the DR as a major port of call, more people are escaping to the land of sun, sand, and surf comparable to anywhere else in the Caribbean.

Dec 26, 2011
Lonely Planet was found guilty of having one of their independent staff writers write a whole book on Colombia while never having visited the country.

He gleaned most of the information off a Colombian woman he met in Los Angeles, California. She was never credited for her contributions. When confronted with this situation, they remained unapologetic, never took the book off the shelves or published any sort of explanation. They said the info was good and left it at that.

I can't think of anything more irresponsible and intentionally misleading than that.

Which edition? My 5th edition(June 2009) was very specific and very accurate.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
[video=youtube;n7HlAH1424E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7HlAH1424E&feature=player_embedded[/video]

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
This video does not represent the usual experience in the DR..........no barrios just selective images that only an elite crowd will ever see or participate in.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wow the locals are always smiling. What's up with that??

I sent a link to the video to my best friend back in the US. He has never been here, but has been to other "developing nations/islands". He asked some very good questions:

"So here is my question.... How close to reality is the YouTube video? It gives the impression that the DR is all beaches and forests. Yeah I know they aren't going to show the slums in a tourist video, but do you think that if someone saw that video and then visited the DR they would say "yup just like the video!"?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I sent a link to the video to my best friend back in the US. He has never been here, but has been to other "developing nations/islands". He asked some very good questions:

"So here is my question.... How close to reality is the YouTube video? It gives the impression that the DR is all beaches and forests. Yeah I know they aren't going to show the slums in a tourist video, but do you think that if someone saw that video and then visited the DR they would say "yup just like the video!"?

Well I reckon you get more smiles per person here than most places.

And has there ever been a promotional video for any country where a visitor could say "yup just like the video"? The thing is that you really can find all the beautiful places and people in the video here. :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This video does not represent the usual experience in the DR..........no barrios just selective images that only an elite crowd will ever see or participate in.
One chooses their experiences, Bubba.

"Leisure travel" is where the incoming hard cash lies, not Politically Correct guilt watches. It's the "elite crowd" with the $$$ this country badly needs. In fact, the world needs more "elite" to bring money here. We should thank the "elite" for choosing the DR as a leisure destination. Certainly there is a massive amount of competition wooing them.

I doubt anyone who views a "Chamber of Commerce" promotional video thinks "it must be just like that."

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

Of course.When countries promote tourism they show the best it has to offer. Barrios and ghettos would not attract crowds.

They promote what's appealing to the eye that will bring in the money.

Last edited:

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
As an "elite", I visit and enjoy the many facets of Dominican culture. Thank me anytime "cobraboy". Your welcome !

One chooses their experiences, Bubba.

"Leisure travel" is where the incoming hard cash lies, not Politically Correct guilt watches. It's the "elite crowd" with the $$$ this country badly needs. In fact, the world needs more "elite" to bring money here. We should thank the "elite" for choosing the DR as a leisure destination. Certainly there is a massive amount of competition wooing them.

I doubt anyone who views a "Chamber of Commerce" promotional video thinks "it must be just like that."

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Thats b.s.- its an excellent video. In fact it does represent my usual experience precisely everytime I am in the DR. Nothing elitist about it. Maybe you are a bit too philosophical.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here's my breakdown of the few places i "think" i recognize in the video, as well as places I would love to know where they're at, but do not recognize:

1. .09 into the beginning of the video...a long stretch of sand and beach...i have no idea where this is?

2. .012-.013 seconds into the video shows an island...where and heck is this?

3. .015 seconds into the video shows houses with mountains in the background and what looks like water in front of the mountains...where is this? initially, before i saw the water, i thought it was Cabarete. not so.

4. .022 into the video...punta cana?

5. .025 into the video where the guy open the coconut on the beach with a bar shack...Las Terrenas?

6. .027-.029 into the video...Punta Cana?

7. .030 into the video...where is this?

8. .032 into the video...where is this?

9. .039 into the video...punta cana?

10. .40 into the video...i recognize it...it's Las Terrenas, near Playa Bonita looking east back towards Las Terrenas, which is around the corner where the point it.

11. .056 into the video...which marina is this?

12. 1.00 into the video...which Marina is this?

13. 1.02...which golf course is this?

14. 1.14...which golf course is this?

15. 1.19...where is this?

16. 1.20...where is this?

17. 1.28...Playa Rincon?

18. 1.29...which beach?

19. 1.31...which beach?

20. 1.45...the highway from Nagua to Santo Domingo, whith Los Haitises in the background.

21. 1.49 to 1.53--that's all Los Haitises.

22. 2.04...where are these sand dunes?

23. 2.08 - 2.12 is Bahia de las Aguilas

24. 2.13...is El Limon

25. 2.52...which beach is this?