Lonely planet ranks the Dominican Republic in its top 10 destinations for 2013

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This video does not represent the usual experience in the DR..........no barrios just selective images that only an elite crowd will ever see or participate in.

I only saw one house of worship, I thought DR was a Catholic country, who publishes lonely planet, are they atheists?

This is just wrong, MODS please delete this thread at once.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
This video does not represent the usual experience in the DR..........no barrios just selective images that only an elite crowd will ever see or participate in.

There is certainly nothing wrong with that? Every country who wants to attract holiday people are going to show the best of the best of their country.

The majority of vacationers are also only going to see in the DR the beaches and their hotel. Nothing wrong with that either.

I hope that a lot of people are going to read that article of Lonely Planet and consider to come on holiday to the DR. Its a beautiful place to have a relaxed holiday.

Acira

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, I'm good at spotting most places in the DR, let me give a try. Whatever place I don't recognize at all will be responded with three dots.

1. .09 into the beginning of the video...a long stretch of sand and beach...i have no idea where this is?
One of the beaches on isla Saona.

2. .012-.013 seconds into the video shows an island...where and heck is this?
Cayo Levantado near Saman?.

3. .015 seconds into the video shows houses with mountains in the background and what looks like water in front of the mountains...where is this? initially, before i saw the water, i thought it was Cabarete. not so.
Las Terrenas, but don't remember the name of the hotel.

4. .022 into the video...punta cana?
Puntacana Resort & Club

5. .025 into the video where the guy open the coconut on the beach with a bar shack...Las Terrenas?
... Could be anywhere, lol.

6. .027-.029 into the video...Punta Cana?
Puntacana Resort & Club

7. .030 into the video...where is this?
Cayo Levantado, but don't remember the name of the resort.

8. .032 into the video...where is this?
Most likely B?varo Beach.

9. .039 into the video...punta cana?
Either B?varo or Bayahibe, not sure.

10. .40 into the video...i recognize it...it's Las Terrenas, near Playa Bonita looking east back towards Las Terrenas, which is around the corner where the point it.
Yes

11. .056 into the video...which marina is this?
Puntacana Resort & Club

12. 1.00 into the video...which Marina is this?
Casa de Campo, officially named Marina de Chav?n.

13. 1.02...which golf course is this?
La Cana Country Club @ Puntacana Resort & Club

14. 1.14...which golf course is this?
Punta Espada Country Club at Cap Cana.

15. 1.19...where is this?
Roco Ki in Macao (near B?varo).

16. 1.20...where is this?
Playa Rinc?n

17. 1.28...Playa Rincon?
Yes, same beach as in the previous question.

18. 1.29...which beach?
Most likely in Saman?, but hard to tell what beach it is.

19. 1.31...which beach?
One of the deserted beaches near the Redondo and Lim?n lagoons. Near Nisibon.

20. 1.45...the highway from Nagua to Santo Domingo, whith Los Haitises in the background.
Yes, although the official name is autopista Juan Pablo II or simply, the highway to Saman? or Santo Domingo-Saman?.

21. 1.49 to 1.53--that's all Los Haitises.
Yes, also at 1.58 is lago Enriquillo.

22. 2.04...where are these sand dunes?
Las dunas de Ban?.

23. 2.08 - 2.12 is Bahia de las Aguilas
The Ta?no petroglyphs on 2.10 are near lago Enriquillo, very far from Jaragua National Park.

24. 2.13...is El Limon
Yes

25. 2.52...which beach is this?
Could be Las Galeras or Rinc?n. Regardless, it's a beach in Saman?.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Well, at least the people that made the video showed it like it is. Take a look at the 1:45 minute mark of the video to see how many people drive here in the country. One of the cars is in the oncoming lane on a curve!!!!!!!!

It is however a beautiful video.

HAHA...good eye!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I only saw one house of worship, I thought DR was a Catholic country, who publishes lonely planet, are they atheists?

This is just wrong, MODS please delete this thread at once.

There are churches in hundreds of countries in the world. The video is designed to show what makes the DR different from other countries. There are also no supermarkets in the video. Does that mean the makers don't eat food?

jackcrew

Aug 5, 2010
I just returned from my vacation and could not get home fast enough. I have always loved the Dominican Republic and its people but something is changing (either in the DR or in myself). All the standard crap is there; the horrible roads, decaying buildings, garbage littered streets, etc. But now the prices have doubled. Everything was more expensive- noticeably more expensive.

Perhaps it was always expensive but now it has reached a level where my expectations are higher. If I am paying more, by god I better be getting better service. And customer service was Horrible. I went to the movies at the recently opened Agora Mall. It was a lovely mall with happy people, etc. I purchased my movie ticket; approximately $6.50 US Dollars (cheaper then the US, but not by much). I went to get my popcorn/cola combo and waited, waited, waited for service. This was while the serving guys joked, fondled, and bantered with each other and left all the customers waiting. Change to any venue and this regularly occurred. Once I even walked out of a restaurant without paying simply because nobody came around for me to ask for my check. And nobody bothered to walk after me to collect even then (seems like they were all having a lunch break...the whole restaurant staff!).

This is something people need to understand quickly in the Dominican Republic: if you are charging first-world prices, you better start giving first-world service.

I did see the "Has it all" video at my hotel.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Lonely Planet was found guilty of having one of their independent staff writers write a whole book on Colombia while never having visited the country. I can't think of anything more irresponsible and intentionally misleading than that.

Having written guide books myself for 25 years, and reviewed others, I should have some credibility to say you are wholey correct. Furthermore, I've found the Rough Guide better than most.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Usual experience of who? Elite crowd, I assume you mean tourists?

Have you ever seen a tourism video of New York showing the projects?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Having written guide books myself for 25 years, and reviewed others, I should have some credibility to say you are wholey correct. Furthermore, I've found the Rough Guide better than most.

You're part of the best guide to the DR, it's this message board.
This is by far the best resource on the Dominican Republic.

2nd to this board are the dr1guides to Santo Domingo and the mountain of other guides produced by DR1 for clients.
e.g. Ministry of Tourism. Pretty much most of the stuff you see from them in the form of guides and maps comes out of the DR1 office.

Examples: Right click and select "Save As..."
http://www.dr1.com/travel/samanaguide.pdf (4.6MB / PDF)
http://www.dr1.com/travel/laromanaguide.pdf (2.9MB / PDF)