Looking for an inexpensive used car

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It behooves me how anyone can run a car without ever changing the oil. Lack of education, or just too lazy and cheap.............
It may be true for many Dominicans but the oil change place just up the road from me is always full of cars getting their oil and filter changed. Many Dominicans treat their cars better than their wife or house.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It may be true for many Dominicans but the oil change place just up the road from me is always full of cars getting their oil and filter changed. Many Dominicans treat their cars better than their wife or house.

I have to agree. We use synthetic oil, so only change it once a year (even though we don’t put the mileage on it). For years we went to a place in SD on Independencia, now we found a place in San Cristobal that we like. Both are always busy, and sometimes we have to wait. The one in SC has an air-conditioned waiting room with comfortable seating where I wait. Mr AE usually stays with the car.

I’ve never seen a non-Dominican at either place.

Also some long waits at the car wash we use on Churchill, all Dominicans keeping their cars spotless.

Reactions: JD Jones

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
So, as this thread received quite a few responses, I thought some might be interested in the outcome. I decided to put Mike Grogan on the case and as I guessed he had a lot of trouble finding anything any good in my price range. Finally, he came up with a 2013 Mazda 3, which was a car I had suggested I liked, and yesterday I was down in Santo Domingo buying it. It churned through the traffic jams of SD coming home, cruised along the Autopista Duarte and over the steep hills back to Cabarete without a problem except for the engine light coming on. I will have my mechanic check it with his computer tomorrow. Overall I was very happy with Mike's service again.

For people who have dealt with him before, he now works with another guy who also knows about cars and who drives Mike around SD. This guy also knows all about title transfers, checks that all is in order and does this work for Mike's clients, so that makes life a lot easier.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks for the update! I'm looking to hear what the issue is with the engine light.

BTW, you can buy very inexpensive scanners that you can use with your cel phone that will read codes for you. You may want to think about getting one.