Looking for best place to stay near Playa Grande

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
I am trying to plan a golf trip for my husband's 50th b-day. He wants to play golf for a week and I was thinking of Playa Grande. Rather than staying in/around the Cabarete-Sosua area as we usually do, I was looking for some information on either a villa rental, condo rental, or a nice hotel much closer to the course. There will be 4 of us, but only the 2 guys will golf. I've found a few villas but what I've come across are huge (more for 10-15 people). Does anyone have any suggestions? Where to look - Rio San Juan or Cabrera area?

I was originally going to book a villa down at Casa de Campo but (I could be wrong here) it seems to me that most people think Playa Grande is a nicer course. He hasn't golfed at either one. Opinions anyone?? We've never been to the La Romana area. Heard a lot of nice things about Bayahibe, etc. Regardless of where we go, we will rent a vehicle as we do NOT like the AI thing and would prefer to eat at local restaurants, or if we have a villa, to cook at least breakfast on our own and then eat lunch/dinner out. Any of you avid golfers out there - which area would you prefer/which course.

Thanks!

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Casa de Campo is where you want to be.....

....for 7 days of golf it would be impossible to be bored due to the numerous first class golf courses there (and in surrounding area) AND all the activities to pursue if you do not golf. This is a no brainer.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
...and PS...they have all kinds of accomodations for 2 people ....

....or 4 people. Just contact them.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
My friends who are big fans said after playing Casa de Campo (I believe it was the teeth of the dog course?) recently they'd never played a nicer course. These guys are golf snobs and travel a lot. Florida, Arizona. Las Vegas, Costa Rica, Panama, Jamaica, Aruba, Antigua, et al. Lot's to do in Casa de Campo aside from golf as well, not so much at Playa Grande.

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
Sounds like a plan

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll book Casa de Campo for the golf week and he can always play Playa Grande on another trip.

By the way, he's always looking to pair up with someone for a round of golf, as it's usually him and I on vacation and I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, an avid golfer like him. I'll let you know when our next North Coast trip is and if anyone wants to go to Playa Grande with him for a round, Im sure he'd love it.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Anyone who is a golfer will tell you that the Playa Grande Golf Course is significantly better than Teeth of the Dog, The Links or any other course on the island. It has not been advertised as much because it isn't associated with a huge tourism project (such as Casa de Campo or Cap Cana) but Robert Trent Jones, Sr (the legendary course architect) truly made Playa Grande Golf Course his crowning achievement in the Caribbean. That's why many people refer to it as the "Pebble Beach of the Caribbean."

For vacation rentals in the area of Playa Grande Golf Course, check Dominican Republic Villas | Dominican Vacation Rentals | Dominican Republic Villa Rentals | Dominican Republic Vacation Rentals by Owner. They have the best portfolio of luxury accommodations in the Rio San Juan / Playa Grande / Cabrera areas.

I am trying to plan a golf trip for my husband's 50th b-day. He wants to play golf for a week and I was thinking of Playa Grande. Rather than staying in/around the Cabarete-Sosua area as we usually do, I was looking for some information on either a villa rental, condo rental, or a nice hotel much closer to the course. There will be 4 of us, but only the 2 guys will golf. I've found a few villas but what I've come across are huge (more for 10-15 people). Does anyone have any suggestions? Where to look - Rio San Juan or Cabrera area?

I was originally going to book a villa down at Casa de Campo but (I could be wrong here) it seems to me that most people think Playa Grande is a nicer course. He hasn't golfed at either one. Opinions anyone?? We've never been to the La Romana area. Heard a lot of nice things about Bayahibe, etc. Regardless of where we go, we will rent a vehicle as we do NOT like the AI thing and would prefer to eat at local restaurants, or if we have a villa, to cook at least breakfast on our own and then eat lunch/dinner out. Any of you avid golfers out there - which area would you prefer/which course.

Thanks!

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Anyone that is a golfer will also tell you that when you play 27-36 holes a day for 5 days in a row that its VERY BORING to play the same course over and over again......unless they are taking alot of money from the guys playing with him......

dingdongdenny

Jan 6, 2007
the other consideration is, if he doesn't play playa grande now then he might not play it at all.That is if they actually do go private,as it is now postponed for this year.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll book Casa de Campo for the golf week and he can always play Playa Grande on another trip.

By the way, he's always looking to pair up with someone for a round of golf, as it's usually him and I on vacation and I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, an avid golfer like him. I'll let you know when our next North Coast trip is and if anyone wants to go to Playa Grande with him for a round, Im sure he'd love it.
Should you reconsider your alternative plan of going to Casa de Campo & revert to Playa Grande then let me add a couple of thoughts for your consideration:-

1) Playa Dorada is not too far from Cabarete as to allow an alternative course to play
2) Ditto for Las Aromas at Santiago.
3) Luis (the Asst Pro at Playa Grande) will doubtless do a 'DEAL' with your other half for 4 or 5 games at Playa Grande which should make the week a fair bit cheaper (golf-wise) than Casa de Campo.
4) Many on this board play at Playa Grande on a weekly basis & might be able to offer company for one or more of the days he plays at Playa Grande.
5) I would be available ONE day at Playa Grande & ONE day at either Playa Dorada or Santiago.

Why not revert to plan 'A' of staying at Cabarete & doing the 'other courses' up here on the north coast? One hours drive to each course of Playa Grande, Playa Dorada & Santiago (mas o menos)!! ~ Grahame.

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
Wow - so much to consider

This is why I love this board - so many different opinions!

My biggest problem with where to go is that the trip will be during peak season (have no choice because of our jobs). To be perfectly honest, I'm somewhat appalled at the prices I've been seeing at Casa de Campo, now that I've been researching it. For example - just to rent a room (much less a villa which is what we normally like to do when we travel), it's close to $400 p/night. That may not seem like so much to many, but considering that I will be paying for 2 rooms (and maybe 3), for this trip, to me it's a lot for a hotel room. If by any chance we wanted to add on the meal plan which we normally wouldn't do, that's another $149 p/p so at 7 nights that's another $2,000 for 4 people and over $6,000 for 6 people!Many of you may not agree, but IMHO it's outrageous. We have NEVER spent that kind of money to eat in the DR and would much rather eat locally - better food, better atmosphere. Hell, we can go to the grocery store and buy a bottle of rum and be happy as pigs rather than drinking watered down drinks at an all-inclusive.

Then there's the green's fees to tack on as well - the latest being $175 p/round from what I see. Figure he'll golf 5 of the 7 days and there's another $2,000 for him and my daughter's boyfriend.

Yes, I've also heard many people prefer Playa Grande over the CDC courses. He's always wanted to golf at CDC but maybe I'll wait until we can go during the spring/summer months to do that trip. OR.....another alternative would be to stay in La Romana and golf at CDC... Any suggestions there?

I would be perfectly happy staying in Sosua/Cabarete. He can go to Playa Grande, Playa Dorada, Santiago, etc. and the girls can "do our own thing" which is perfectly fine with us. Yes, he'd be thrilled to pair up with anyone else that wants to golf a round. I guess then I answered my own original question - unless I can find some great deal at CDC for the peak season (which right now does not seem likely), we'll stick to the north coast again, which we love, and save a trip to CDC for another time.

alisa

May 3, 2009
The best place to stay near Playa Grande

Hi!

My name is Alisa Mancini, the Manager for Villa Cantamar at Sea Tree Estates in Abreu (between Rio San Juan and Cabrera).

Our Villa is set on a magnificent property, on the cliffs overlooking the Atlantic [similar landscape as Playa Grande Golf Course]. We are 5 minutes by car to the golf course.

If you need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me by e-mailing at alisarmancini@yahoo.com .

Hoping to be hearing from you, best regards!

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Hi!

My name is Alisa Mancini, the Manager for Villa Cantamar at Sea Tree Estates in Abreu (between Rio San Juan and Cabrera).

Our Villa is set on a magnificent property, on the cliffs overlooking the Atlantic [similar landscape as Playa Grande Golf Course]. We are 5 minutes by car to the golf course.

If you need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me by e-mailing at alisarmancini@yahoo.com .

Hoping to be hearing from you, best regards!

I have visited Cantamar on several occasions and will attest to the magnificence of it both as to it's location and the Villa itself. It is located in the beautiful little town of Abreu.

I have no financial or other interest in this Villa, this is just a recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.